Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2012, 06:40   #16

The best advice I got buying a boat is to buy the newest nicest boat you can afford. Take your time look at a lot of boats, talk to a lot of people and see if you can actually sail a couple boats similar to the ones you're looking at. The first 10 years of my sailing experience was on other peoples boats. Now that is a lot of fun and easy on the wallet.

I do agree that larger boats are typically more complex and take more maintenance that smaller. Smaller boats may be easier to learn on, but they are not always easier to sail.

I learned to sail on a Laser II and an Oday 17 in the lakes of New Hampshire. Joined the boat club in Boston harbor and learned to sail keel boats

I have owns two hunters a 336 and. 410. Then 336 was very tender and required a reef whenever the wind hit 15 knots. The 410 was a great boat handled the waves and seas quite well. I would have been comfortable taking the 410 many palaces and others have taken them a lot further than I have. We now own a 54' boat that is very balanced awesome to sail and handle. And built to handle the blue ocean. I will admit she does demand more attention. However the 54 is my far the easiest of the 3 boats to sail and maneuver in tight spaces.

Sail as much as you can and learn as much as you can and the choice will be obvious to you when the right boat comes along. We spent 18 months actively looking and learning in order to buy the current boat. The journey is fun and you will be happy with your choice.
Whaubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 07:47   #17

Boat: Looking...
Re: Looking to Buy a Boat

Do not overlook older well built boats if well maintained. Allied Seawind 30 is a strong design that has gone around the world, for example.

1971 Allied Seawind Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Westsail 32 (I am prejudiced) is a great strong boat as well, but much more expensive.

These are traditional cruisers, salty looking, need more sail to go in light wind, but their records give great comfort when you are far from shore and the weather gets really nasty.
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 17:32   #18

Boat: 1984 Hans Christian 33t
Ok all good advice, I'm not in a rush or impatient to buy a boat, if it takes a couple of years then so be it, I want the right boat at the right price. What about a 93 hunter 35.5? Seems to be rigged right with radar solar wind generator gps chartplotter depth wind new rigging and sails, overall condition is listed as very good, it is more than I originally was going to spend but seems to fit my needs more
Thoughts?
Ruffriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 17:58   #19

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffriders View Post
So I spoke with the guy selling the Ontario 32, he had a solar panel and wind generator but both are no longer there, am I better off looking at a whole new kit with a new charge panel or just replace the parts?
Also there is no gps or radar what would you recommend and where to buy it?
Thanks
John
You are already south, where most wannabe cruisers are headed. If I were you, I'd narrow my search to Mexico and Panama, where a goodly number of cruising boats are for sale at prices below what they would be in the states. Bringing a basic boat up to snuff for cruising can often cost near the initial purchase price. Good luck.
Old 15-09-2012, 18:55   #20

Think carefully about what gear you MUST have and what you want as mere convenience. You may find yourself spending more time sitting and waiting for a part for some gizmo that you can really get along without rather than sailing.

Also, all those toys have a habit of failing at just the wrong time (Murphy) so it is very important to be able to do without. I suggest that you must be able to do coastwise piloting without the radar and GPS. Likewise, before going offshore, you need to consider alternative ways of location verification - a noon sight at least. I suggest that you will be more confident through the entire experience the better you are prepared for unexpected electronics and other equipment failures.

Electricity + salt water = corrosion and other unhappy results
Old 16-09-2012, 13:06   #21

So I found a little more out about this Pearson 365, it needs new running rigging and a new genoa and a few other small things, what is the cost to replace the running rigging! And a new sail?
Old 16-09-2012, 22:07   #22

Boat: Pearson 10M

How about a Pearson 10M? They are solid, fast, and very spacious inside. I know of an owner who is looking to sell as he wants to buy a 40+ boat. Message me if you have interest and I can introduce. Cheers.
msoneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 11:03   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1977 Hinckley Bermuda 40

hey, I have a great boat for you, a Tartan T37. Proven blue water boat with numerous circumnavigations, very comfy, sleeps 6 or 7, you'll never find an unhappy T37 owner. $49,000 is a great price...o boat is on the Chesapeake.
airedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 11:24   #24

Boat: Pearson 365 Ketch

If you can go $50K I have a very nice cruise ready Pearson 365 looking for a new home. This is considered a very capable cruiser and the model has crossed many oceans.

See Classified Adds Pearson 365.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moonlight Mile.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	46690  
captedl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 11:40   #25

Be careful of cored hulls. If looking at a boat that has one, make sure you have a surveyor who knows how to measure moisture content, educate yourself on characteristics of various core materials, and ensure that you are going into the buy with full knowledge. A wet core - especially a balsa core - can be a terrible experience.
Old 17-09-2012, 11:41   #26

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi Ruff, this whole boat-buying thing can be complicated, confusing and emotionally draining. I've bought two boats so far, and lived pretty closely with two other ones, starting with a 22 O'Day and finishing (so far) with a 37' Rafiki cutter. My experience is that with each step I've learned and refined what I actually need (and don't need) in a boat.

So to that end, my personal advice is to get out and get personal with the boats that stir your soul. If you are in a sailing community, get to know as many boats as possible. Get tours of them. Sail them. Work on them. Get to know as many as possible from the bilges out.

Going further, if time and $$$ allow, I would recommend you purchase an inexpensive, but seaworthy vessel in the 25 to 30 foot range that is nearby. You can only learn so much from talking and reading (and getting advice from Forum-dwellers). Living with a boat will teach you what you actually need and want.

BTW, I personally like the Pearson 365 and Tartan 37. Both great boats. And of course, a Westsail!
Old 21-09-2012, 11:55   #27

Ok so I've struck a deal on a boat, it's a 38 endeavor and looks to be in great shape, just waiting on a survey, this boat is registered with the us coast guard, as I am not american I can't register is with them, will there still be a state title? It is registered in Florida can I own a Florida registered boat? Help!
Old 23-09-2012, 05:06   #28

Congrats on the new boat
You can register in any state you plan to use the boat. Sales/use tax may be required by the state as it is in Florida
Whaubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:08   #29

Can anyone recommend a surveyor in bocas del toro panama?
Old 06-10-2012, 17:00   #30

Boat: Wanted 45' Hunter center cockpit

Pearson 26 has sleeping room for 2 or 3 people and has seating very easy sailing, great for a nooby at sailing and has a head too, quite the boat and sells for a maximum of 6k and as low as 1k although that cheap usually means theres a leak i would buy one for around 2 or 3 maybe 4k
chucklet321 is offline   Reply With Quote