Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2013, 14:50   #1

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31
Looking to get a new to me Sailboat

So I bought a project boat last year, never got it on the water and it is a mess. I'm washing my hands of it (1980 ODAY 28), only paid $1500 for her. Anyways, I have about $9000 saved up right now and am looking to get a boat in the 30 foot range. My last boat I had had an outboard engine which was a pain. So looking for inboard this time, and undecided about gas or diesel... I find a lot of good deals but they are usually equipped with atomic 4 engines. I don't plan on crossing the Atlantic to bermuda any time soon, but would like the option to sail the the bahamas/carribean from Virginia.

Some of the ones I have come across are Hunters, Tartans, Pearsons and Cheoy Lee. The Cheoy lee was 1972, the rest were late 70s early 80s.

I found a 1978 Pearson I really liked but it had an atomic 4 (again not sure if that should be a deal breaker) and a 1980 Hunter that was beautifully restored inside and out and had a diesel, but heard mixed reviews on the quality of Hunters in the oceans/bays

Any suggestions on what I should be looking for. Price range no more than $10,000 but am flexible a few thousand. Not really looking for people to do searching for me (unless they want ) but am looking for a starting point, as I want a boat that is already useable this time.

Thanks so much!
-Aaron
AirBoyzT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 15:06   #2

Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft
Re: Looking to get a new to me Sailboat

I have a 76 pearson 30 love it, atomic 4 should not be a deal breaker just a lever to lower the price a little. Diesel power probably better, with a 10 grand budget you should get a nice boat with diesel. Personally I would not touch a Hunter after some I have seen damaged in Sandy. Check out Catalina and Tartan in that price range.
wsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 18:32   #3

Is haggling price usually beneficial, about how much does haggling usually get you offf?
Old 15-11-2013, 18:50   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Absolutly haggle......there a literally thousands of boats for sale right now, lots that have been on the market for years. the size and price range you're looking at literally is like buying a used car.

On the engine front....I'd not be put off by a well maintained A4 in a boat you're looking at in that price range either. For what you state you want to do the A4 is capable.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 18:59   #5

Thanks guys,
Found a decent Yamaha 30 foot....never really heard about Yamaha sailboats
Old 15-11-2013, 19:02   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

The Yamaha 30 has the engine under the v-berth. Pay close attention to the silly long shaft and the pillow blocks that support it. There is nothing inherently wrong with it, its just different and bears a close look to prevent unusual suprises.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 19:02   #7

I was in a similar boat to you (pun intended) and ended up with a 1982 Hunter 30 in excellent condition. This was the last year for the better built "Cherubini" Hunters. Its pretty solid. I have been equipping it for cruising the Bahamas. Most people say its not a cruising boat, but I think it will do fine. I plan on moving aboard within the next week and heading south within a week of that. I'd be happy to give you an in depth tour of it and talk boats over a beer or something. I met a guy in Middle River, MD who has a nice hunter 30 for sale too. You should check it out if you will consider hunters.

I originally looked for Cape Dorys, Bayfields, and some others, but my budget always restrained me. I got ALOT of boat in the hunter.

Just my $0.02
mistersmith2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 19:12   #8

Yea that one I like is a Cherubini....maybe a good hunter.

Also found this Pearson, has an atomic 4 but beautiful boat. He's asking 9000 hoping to talk him down to $7000

1969 pearson triton sailboat for sale in Virginia
Old 15-11-2013, 19:18   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

The Yamaha is a pretty good boat but the propane system it came with originally is not kosher, the AC system used solid core copper conductors and a few other issues and throughulls came with gate valves but there are shortfalls in every boat.

Don't be dissuaded by the Hunter bashers, Hunters are not perfect but they are no worse than any other "production" boat and better than many. After 2949 surveys, I'm quite comfortable with my position on Hunters (No, I don't own one and never have).

I find that Hunters are bashed by the racers cause' they're not fast and bashed by the bluewater guys cause they don't have full keels. Tens of thousands of Hunter owners have ignored the rabble and gone sailing.
Old 15-11-2013, 19:20   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop
I have a 1985 Cal 27 MK III. For sale. 5year old Yanmar Diesel with less than 100 hours on it.
$7500. Valparaiso Fl. 850-830-5078. Easy to sail by yourself. Auto pilot.
Call or email me at jhowell6@valp.net. I'm making an offer on larger boat this
Week so very motivated.
Jhowell5558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 19:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBoyzT View Post
Yea that one I like is a Cherubini....maybe a good hunter.

Also found this Pearson, has an atomic 4 but beautiful boat. He's asking 9000 hoping to talk him down to $7000

1969 pearson triton sailboat for sale in Virginia
That ad is from 2008 (says it at the bottom of the ad)......that website should delete ads that are more than a year old. Its so annoying!!

Craigslist is the best in my opinion. I have an app that let's me search multiple areas...very handy.
mistersmith2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 19:41   #12
Marine Service Provider

For when you find one you want to pursue, take a look at Marine Survey 101 for some tips on how to inspect it.
Old 15-11-2013, 19:55   #13

Boat: P30

regarding the A4: for what you stated a well cared for A4 should be fine. mine is 37 years old and still going strong.
one way to think about it is in terms of range. My A4 uses a bit more than 3/4 a gallon an hour at planned cruising speed. with tankage of 20 gallons i usually try to place 15-16 hours of motoring as a limit. 15 hrs at 5 knots = 65nm w/ some reserve.
Old 15-11-2013, 20:01   #14

A friend of mine just bought an S2 30' for 5k..I thought it was a good buy..
CaribbeanCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 20:43   #15
Marine Service Provider

Beware S2's ... balsa core bottoms. Have only surveyed three, all had severe cases of rotten balsa in the bottoms

Tags
sail, sailboat