Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2019, 14:44   #16

Boat: Baba 35
Re: Loss of a Southern Cross

He is probably drunk right now.......
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 14:52   #17

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I'm not sure your doing yourself any favors publicly admitting fault, honorable yes..... but sometimes being honorable serves no one.
Perhaps, but sure is refreshing to see it these days as, I dare say, is a proper beating for incompetent crew for putting a perfectly fine yacht on the rocks.

Bravo to your sir.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 16:09   #18

Boat: seems it wasn't in the cards

Southern Cross 31... Oh what a loveable boat!!! Such gorgeous lines!

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your gal!!!

and I did not know there was another one in Europe...

there was one for sale in Greece less than a year ago, but it is no longer on the market. apparently the owner (a German guy I think) was unable to lower the price for a bit too long...

another sailboat love story...

[QUOTE=Cruiser2B;3002569 there is a YouTube channel where a sailor is on a SC31, engineless![/QUOTE]

Cruiser2B

I believe the one in How to Sail Oceans videos is technically a Gillmer 31 (an early one, before the architect, Gillmer, named the boat the Southern Cross perhaps?). This one has a wooden mast. Maybe it is keel stepped? (The Southern Cross 31 has a deck stepped mast.) In any case, she is a pretty, pretty, pretty little thing...

Again to the OP. So sorry for your loss...
Old 24-10-2019, 17:38   #19

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I am sorry for the loss of a boat that you put so much love and effort into restoring. As you admit, the liability is always the masters.

May I suggest the Darwin defense? “Your honor in another time, this man would have been shot- thereby removing his genes from the human gene pool. A case of natural selection if you will. As I did not feel there was legal grounds for removing his genes, I instead attempted a degree of behavior modification. I assure you it is u likely he will crash another vessel and create the ecological hazard crashing this one created.”

This may not get you off, but it should at least get a smile on the codgers face.
Here in the states, particularly in Texas, we have a thing called the He Needed Killing defense (sorry, defence for my friends across the pond, down under, and north of me!). Perhaps that would work?

I am sorry for your loss and I wish you well with the proceedings.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 00:39   #20

Boat: Volkscruiser

Are you sure about that ArmyDave? I see Trump has visited Texas 6 times and he is still alive!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 00:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantical View Post
I am just being honest. The looses of the boat was awful as it was my home and I lost everything I owned lPat a Cartier watch lost my clothes lost my birth certificate. I got off one photo albums some certificates a laptop a phone and what I was wearing
i saw this after i posted yesterday... oh my.

although i steer clear of ALL those who get drunk and/or ugly (hugely!!!), i do see how you lost most everything in one moment:

-you lost your home,
-your basic necessities
-your security (your papers and watch)
-your investment in your future (refitting and future)

beyond this, you also lost your sweetheart, your girl.

here, i think you have some credibility as your past relationship is quite clear: she took good care of you when you sailed her across the atlantic; and you took good care of her when you spent five years doing the labour-of-love thing refitting her. in one moment, your bond with her, your future together, your team was lost.

some folks say that one can only love another person or a sentient being, but there are plenty of us who know what it feels like to be in love with a boat.

good luck to you
Old 25-10-2019, 01:45   #22

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
May I suggest the Darwin defense?

“Your honor in another time, this man would have been shot- thereby removing his genes from the human gene pool. A case of natural selection if you will. As I did not feel there was legal grounds for removing his genes, I instead attempted a degree of behavior modification. I assure you it is u likely he will crash another vessel and create the ecological hazard crashing this one created.”

This may not get you off, but it should at least get a smile on the codgers face.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 03:32   #23

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
Perhaps, but sure is refreshing to see it these days as, I dare say, is a proper beating for incompetent crew for putting a perfectly fine yacht on the rocks.

Bravo to your sir.
What a stupid statement and poor self worth, as a person been charged many times for violent behaviour and spent my life being a very violent man I made a very serious attempt to change , and I did and find the need to lay hands on any one for the need of material or other things is a rather sad reflection of the way humanity is heading.

If the evidence is their the OP will be charged and rightly so , as I have. society needs more communication not more violence and it does not need your stupid statements that endorse silly actions.

I find the written word a better way to convey a statement and put someone in their place

To OP I hope you find peace and are able to move on and reconstruct your life
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 04:39   #24

Boat: Tayana 37 Pilot House

Quote:
I am sorry for the loss of a boat that you put so much love and effort into restoring. As you admit, the liability is always the masters.

May I suggest the Darwin defense? “Your honor in another time, this man would have been shot- thereby removing his genes from the human gene pool. A case of natural selection if you will. As I did not feel there was legal grounds for removing his genes, I instead attempted a degree of behavior modification. I assure you it is u likely he will crash another vessel and create the ecological hazard crashing this one created.”

Hear yea, hear yea!
Taipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 04:48   #25

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipe View Post
Hear yea, hear yea!
Another sad person in a sad world, also not able to read
As if you have read the posts you would see the OP admitting to Drink being involved, one might suspect that the whole crew were drunk including the master , who went into a drunken rage and beat some one to a pulp ,
OFC violence may be necessary to protect oneself or family but for a material piece of wood and fibreglass mmmm. I know most Neanderthals think their boat is their life partner but I will let you all into a secret
It is an animated object, it has no soul it does not talk to you , and it has no feelings
OFC i am willing to listen to those who may have some serious issues about this fundamental revelation and and happy to give counselling
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 05:02   #26

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Ah the wreck at portavadie comes to light , sorry for you loss , but the rumours around this wreck in Scottish circles is that drugs and drink were involved , but we all know about rumours

And you deserve to be charged for hitting someone violence is never the answer , although we feel like doing it control is the best way forward

spent a year in therapy to control my self and now find that laughing it off , walking away is better unless there is a need for defence.

And that is why I endorse Insurance

Anyone have a link to an article or pics? Really sad
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 05:05   #27

Quote:
What a stupid statement and poor self worth, as a person been charged many times for violent behaviour and spent my life being a very violent man I made a very serious attempt to change ....

I find the written word a better way to convey a statement and put someone in their place
Violence comes in many forms. Feel better now?
Old 25-10-2019, 05:15   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
i saw this after i posted yesterday... oh my.

although i steer clear of ALL those who get drunk and/or ugly (hugely!!!), i do see how you lost most everything in one moment:

-you lost your home,
-your basic necessities
-your security (your papers and watch)
-your investment in your future (refitting and future)

beyond this, you also lost your sweetheart, your girl.

here, i think you have some credibility as your past relationship is quite clear: she took good care of you when you sailed her across the atlantic; and you took good care of her when you spent five years doing the labour-of-love thing refitting her. in one moment, your bond with her, your future together, your team was lost.

some folks say that one can only love another person or a sentient being, but there are plenty of us who know what it feels like to be in love with a boat.

good luck to you
Am quoting myself on here... as i cannot delete my post and did not realise that you actually beat someone to a PULP. What?!!!!

i agree with those here who have stated that anyone who does this kind of thing needs some serious help (with violence, with drink, post traumatic stress... or whatever it may be).

i hope you find serious help
Old 25-10-2019, 05:19   #29

Quote:
.... I know most Neanderthals think their boat is their life partner but I will let you all into a secret
It is an animated object, it has no soul it does not talk to you , and it has no feelings
Blasphemy!
Old 25-10-2019, 05:19   #30

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
Am quoting myself on here... as i cannot delete my post and did not realise that you actually beat someone to a PULP. What?!!!!

i agree with those here who have stated that anyone who does this kind of thing needs some serious help (with violence, with drink, post traumatic stress... or whatever it may be).

i hope you find serious help
It's easy to judge from a distance.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote