Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2019, 05:41   #31

Boat: seems it wasn't in the cards
Re: Loss of a Southern Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
It's easy to judge from a distance.
True Dale, very true....

none of us were there, and it could well be that none of us will ever know...

let's leave it at that

wolfie
Old 25-10-2019, 06:10   #32
CLOD

Boat: none

Is the morale of the story "If while drinking underway and your buddy drives the boat onto the rocks, so you beat the hell out of him, be sure to kill him so you can blame it on the shipwreck."
Old 26-10-2019, 17:47   #33

Boat: SJ 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
Am quoting myself on here... as i cannot delete my post and did not realise that you actually beat someone to a PULP. What?!!!!

i agree with those here who have stated that anyone who does this kind of thing needs some serious help (with violence, with drink, post traumatic stress... or whatever it may be).

i hope you find serious help
The OP never said he beat someone to a PULP. That statement was made by a person recovering from an admitted lifetime of violent behavior.
majones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 18:41   #34

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
It's easy to judge from a distance.
By far the best place from which to judge people like that
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 20:50   #35

Boat: Passport 41

Apple doesn't fall far from the hate tree.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 18:40   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

There was a lot of complacency, bad management and disorganisation. I could try to explain it, but you can't really. I was just in total shock at getting out of bed because we were on the rocks, then what goes through my mind is things I didn't do, like put gas canisters in the life jackets, or put the gps on, I had the charts but they were not out, my glasses were not to hand, three flashlights none with batteries a spotlight plunged in that I forgot about, loads of other things.

Anyway crewman didn't come to court judge an prosecutor were really friendly, and I was told it's a very weak case. I also think he only charged me due to the threat of culpable and reckless behaviour which we both faced but got dropped for us both jus me left facing a charge.

A true friend would have taken the charge and sat with me in the dock, rather than bailed because in the fight he certainly hit me
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:23   #37

Glad you did not end up in jail as well as losing your boat. Has anything been salvaged?
Norman_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:43   #38

In 2017 I was on a boat at anchor and ended up in the surf zone in a storm, Cedros Island. Our anchor in all the motion got wrapped around a rock. Wind direction changed and we were dangerously close to the beach. Although it was not my falt, still haunts me, I was at the wheel. Captain recovered with insurance. I continue to sail but will never forget
The Spirit of Hanalea. I cannot say that I know how you feel but I can say I am having serious Empathy for you right now.

Good Luck moving on.
Sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:53   #39

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
I believe the one in How to Sail Oceans videos is technically a Gillmer 31 (an early one, before the architect, Gillmer, named the boat the Southern Cross perhaps?). This one has a wooden mast. Maybe it is keel stepped? (The Southern Cross 31 has a deck stepped mast.) In any case, she is a pretty, pretty, pretty little thing...
You're right, the one in How to Sail Oceans is a Gilmer.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:08   #40

Five year re-fit for a small boat? What all was done?
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:16   #41

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht
Post Re: Loss of a Southern Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantical View Post
I am just being honest. The looses of the boat was awful as it was my home and I lost everything I owned lPat a Cartier watch lost my clothes lost my birth certificate. I got off one photo albums some certificates a laptop a phone and what I was wearing
My advice as an advocate: stop the sequence of events. Make amends with your adversary, apologise, and amicably ask him , even if through a friend, to have the case withdrawn. This court case will not serve any of your's interest.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 17:02   #42
Marine Service Provider

What wasn't done, and there was still stuff to do. All sea valves engine re build cabin forward stripped re designed replaced new toilet new toilet deck pipes new ac system new school system chart table taken out and re designed with seat new cooker new school system all new electronics new Mac lights new rigging new cabin cushions new galley worktop and drawers new re designed stanchions new external woodwork rudder cheek pieces new life raft new tiller new re built manual bilge pump new bigger electric bilge pump new hatch runners new blocks new running rig new switch panels new tv new antennas new navtex you get the picture.
Old 02-11-2019, 17:03   #43
Marine Service Provider

That's exactly what should be done
Old 02-11-2019, 17:09   #44
Marine Service Provider

Got very little off, photo albums some papers, few clothes passport, two laptops. On return got the Denby dishes they were well secured and obviously not affected by saltwater cutlery a us marine Corp bivvy bag a waterproof spotlight found a snapon screwdriver in perfect condition but seemed to leave it behind, it was really so bad and full of water I just didn't want to look for long. I am sure it had already been gone over.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:28   #45

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

The lesson of all this unfortunate circumstance will instill in others proper seamanship, and skippers primary responsibility to the vessel, the crew, and passengers .

Drinking booze underway is something that we just absolutely do not do. Period.

Plenty of time for splicing the mainbrace when in port, safely moored, or in slip, and the vessel properly secured. Even then there needs to be moderation . Circumstances and mother nature can rise up and surprise us.

There was just too many procedures that were ignored by the skipper, and in life the one responsible is the guy looking back at you in the mirror.

The loss of the vessel is indeed very sad, but it could have been much worse with bad injuries or loss of a life.

However, a broken heart and the great loss is a horrific thing for anyone endure.

Also, the skipper's Confession, of the circumstances , is commendable and perhaps will have an effect on others not to follow the same course of lack of seamanship and skippers responsibility.

We can all learn from actions or lack of actions of others that can prevent the same thing happening to us.

I wonder if perhaps the person the OP was really beating up, was that guy in the mirror.

Just a thought.

May the OP, climb back on the horse, after the fall, and rekindle his dream.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote