Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2004, 17:19   #1

lost it to Francis

I am grateful for sites like these as I have learned so much. In may we bought our first sailboat, a beautiful Tayana 37. We changed our life, moved aboard to the Ft Pierce (Florida) City Marina and began the labor of love that involves a lot of money and sweat. Our dream of course is to sail away, with a boat that can always protect us. Then came hurricane Francis. Our Tayana was figured prominenlty in the news and papers, as on the crushing trip from the docks to the sea wall she stayed upright, bringing her dock with her.
Now we are back to the process of looking for another boat. As we are limited in funds, another Tayana may be out of our price range at the moment so a Cheoy Lee has caught my eye, one a 38' Richards design, and a 35' Perry. All opinions are needed, of Tayana 37, Cheoy Lees, etc? I am drawn to full keel, heavy displacement, canoe stern double ender. Some day we'll sell the house and sail away in a Lord Nelson! Thanks for sharing the knowledge an experince you all have.
wannasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004, 18:54   #2

Boat: Formosa Georgian Mk IV 62' Dolce Vita
We are truly sorrowed by your loss.

Michael & Carol
Old 20-09-2004, 19:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I am sorry to hear of your loss.
irwinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004, 19:44   #4

I'm sorry for everyone that lost their boats to the hurricanes this year. To me, sailboats are like art so to see them all crushed up is, ugh. There is a priority to these things, loss of life, people that lost their houses, it was a tough summer to live in Florida. One of the many things I learned this summer, its all about the dream isn't it...?
Thanks for letting me talk about my boat!
Cheoy Lees? a new boat opinion?
Old 21-09-2004, 00:43   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Sorry to hear of your loss. Tayana's are beautiful boats. I take it insurance won't cover replacement cost?
The Cheoy Lee is a well respected boat as well. I think it would be a case of look at what is around. I also suggest broadening your horizon of what countries you look in. You will find many of these vessels and others with high regards down in NZ and Australia. Of course, it is a case of getting it home, but that isn't too difficult on a container ship. The reason I suggest this, is from a comment of a cruising couple that brought there vessel in the US. But after sailing down to these parts, realised they could get a lot more boat for a lot less money.
If you ever find anything down in NZ, Email me and I can hook you up with a very good freind and very trust worthy Broker down here. He would be most helpful. Plus, just yell if you would like any Web links to whats around down here.
I hope you take this as just a fellow yachty wanting to help another.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2004, 01:15   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
There is nothing we can say that will make up for your loss, but you have my total sympathy, At least you can be consoled that the loss was not due to your own securing to the pontoon!

I hope you find another boat that will come close to your ideal.
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 17:53   #7

Sorry about your loss, whar was the name of your boat?
anacapaisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 12:47   #8

The boat was called Wellentanzarin. Its was a Tayana 37 that we had purchased in April 2004. Didn't have it long but it sure was a beautiful boat.
The good news since my last post, we have purchased another Tayana 37, s/v Enigma currently in Daytona Beach. The dream lives on!
Old 18-12-2004, 19:52   #9

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Wheels broker

I would like to chat with your broker friend about different possibilities if he does not mind chatting. He can get me at casling@shaw.ca Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 07:34   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Glad to hear that you were able to find another Tayana. Hopefully you can now put your sorrow over your loss behind you and get on with living the dream!
We were extremely lucky with Ivan ourselves. We used to keep La Nostra behind Hog Island on the southern tip of Grenada, but we moved her to Carriacou two years ago and now keep her on the hard in a little yard there. Had we been on our old mooring when Ivan came through we probably would have lost her, as nearly every boat in our old anchorage was either lost or severely damaged.

Fair winds -
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2004, 13:09   #11

I have a 1981 Tyana 37 Ketch for sale at $55,000. Needs some maintenance such as new engine hoses, freeing up steering cables, etc. as it has been sitting for 13 years in dry dorage. Proven sailor from Maine to Venezuela. Lived aboard ten years. Aries windvane self steering. AL
Old 09-01-2005, 08:24   #12

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Congratulations on your new boat. I am curious about the shipping a boat via container ship. Just how costly is it? Does one have to save thousands to make it come up even with the shipping costs?
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote