Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2020, 16:32   #1

Boat: Looking
Luders/Sea Sprite 34 Pros/Cons?

I'm looking at an Alfred Luders designed '81 Sea Sprite 34 AKA Luders 34. She appears to be original except some electrical changes and interior soft goods changes. She is a fractional sloop with in mast furling for the main. Is this OE and were there any issues with the system? I've never used in mast furling. I'm wondering if the main sail will unintentionally unfurl in a mature gale. Would this mast hold up to crossing oceans? She also has a furling headsail but no inner forestay. I would have this added and possibly a second furler to make her a cutter. The standing rigging and mast is my main concern on this boat. I plan to get a rigger involved ASAP, if I make a deal on the boat.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/sea-sprite-34
Old 11-11-2020, 16:55   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Luders/Sea Sprite 34 Pros/Cons?

Mast in the drawings looks pretty much like a telephone pole, so should stand up pretty well, unless you drive it through the step. Don't know if R/F mast is standard or an add-on. The mast is pretty far forward for making this into a cutter. The fractional jib is already smaller than it would be with a masthead rig. Why do you want a tiny little jib, which won't help you much and may even slow things down adding drag and turbulence in the slot of the genoa? It could also make tacking a hassle every time. The reinforcement needed for the inner forestay right in the middle of the V-berth could be inconvenient as well. In heavy conditions you might find that partially furling the main will move the Center of Effort forward and enable you to control the boat with the jib fully furled. Perhaps better to try things out for a while before making changes. Seems to have worked pretty well as-is for the previous owner(s) for forty years.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 17:09   #3

Seasprite's are wonderful boats. The little sister, the Seasprite 23, was my first cruising boat,

But C.E. Ryder in Bristol RI - who built them - was building coastal boats not bluewater. Everything is a little lightly built to take to sea. Of course people have crossed oceans in a bathtub.

If you want to cross oceans, look at another Bristol builder - Shannon.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 18:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Mast in the drawings looks pretty much like a telephone pole, so should stand up pretty well, unless you drive it through the step. Don't know if R/F mast is standard or an add-on. The mast is pretty far forward for making this into a cutter. The fractional jib is already smaller than it would be with a masthead rig. Why do you want a tiny little jib, which won't help you much and may even slow things down adding drag and turbulence in the slot of the genoa? It could also make tacking a hassle every time. The reinforcement needed for the inner forestay right in the middle of the V-berth could be inconvenient as well. In heavy conditions you might find that partially furling the main will move the Center of Effort forward and enable you to control the boat with the jib fully furled. Perhaps better to try things out for a while before making changes. Seems to have worked pretty well as-is for the previous owner(s) for forty years.
True what you say. My idea for the inner stay and furler was a storm jib. Also as a back up to the OE forestay. The in mast furler is not OE. OE would have been a regular aluminum keel stepped mast with built in track. I found this tid bit by searching all day just to realize every boat I saw online had the same mast except the one I'm interested in.
Old 11-11-2020, 18:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Seasprite's are wonderful boats. The little sister, the Seasprite 23, was my first cruising boat,

But C.E. Ryder in Bristol RI - who built them - was building coastal boats not bluewater. Everything is a little lightly built to take to sea. Of course people have crossed oceans in a bathtub.

Have you had experience with the 34? According to the website for them they are built for bluewater. I can't remember where I read it but they have a minimum 1/2 inch fiberglass over Airtech core. That should equal to at least a 1 inch or 1.25 inch thick hull. Seems pretty sufficient for crossing oceans.
Old 11-11-2020, 18:42   #6

Yes. I've sailed on a 34 about six times - although never offshore.

They were one of the first to use foam cores - innovative for the time. But where I'd worry would be the bulkhead tabbing, chain plates, rudder reinforcement, hull/deck joint, etc.

You are right to worry about that furling main. It's very unusual to have furling mains on a fractionally rigged boats. Masts on fractionally rigged boats are designed to take some bend but vertical furling equipment needs a very straight mast to not jam.

The big worry about all vertical furling mains is not the they would accidentally unfurl but that they sometimes jam - especially the early ones like what is probably on that Seasprite - if a jam happens at sea you are in trouble.

I don't mean to scare you away from the Seasprite. It's a pretty boat built to production standard of the era. But I would prefer to explore Maine or the Chesapeake than cross an ocean on a 40 year old Seasprite.

Here's a fun video of a 34.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:05   #7

Quote:
Yes. I've sailed on a 34 about six times - although never offshore.

They were one of the first to use foam cores - innovative for the time. But where I'd worry would be the bulkhead tabbing, chain plates, rudder reinforcement, hull/deck joint, etc.

You are right to worry about that furling main. It's very unusual to have furling mains on a fractionally rigged boats. Masts on fractionally rigged boats are designed to take some bend but vertical furling equipment needs a very straight mast to not jam.

The big worry about all vertical furling mains is not the they would accidentally unfurl but that they sometimes jam - especially the early ones like what is probably on that Seasprite - if a jam happens at sea you are in trouble.

I don't mean to scare you away from the Seasprite. It's a pretty boat built to production standard of the era. But I would prefer to explore Maine or the Chesapeake than cross an ocean on a 40 year old Seasprite.

Here's a fun video of a 34.

Thanks. Yeah, we're on the same page with the mast. I contacted Hall Spars about the mast. They're the company that supposed to have provided the masts for the Sea Sprite. However, from everything I have seen and read, none came with in mast furling. There may be no way to know who made the mast or if the mast came from another boat. Looking st the mast in pictures, it looks pretty old and beat.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:12   #8

Boat: CD25

My mooring friend did the Marion to Bermuda race years ago in a 34
Nice looking boats
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 14:09   #9

Boat: Farr 1020

Don't be put-off by the furling, you don't have to use it, simply change to slab reefing before the crossing. Not certain how much work is involved in stripping-out the fuller, or if you could leave all in place once you change but the vertical battens needed for that (if you have any roach in the sail) will not go with slab reefing.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 23:33   #10

Just wondering, did you ever figure out that old roller furling system?
CCirrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:19   #11

Quote:
I frequently look at Shannons.

Then I look at bank acct. and cry.

Shannon really is the absolute pinnacle of sailboats. But that sort of quality has a price tag.

Did the OP get this boat?

Just re-watched a Capt Q podcast on one. They are absolutely gorgeous and judging by the hull/keel, look like they'd do just fine off shore.

Also curious about mast furling. It sure is nice to have infinite reefing adjustability, but the thoughts of it jamming with the sail fully out as the wind picks up is scary. IMO, if you must have a furling main, boom is the way to go, because even if it jams, you can still drop it and lash it to the boom, like any regular sail.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
I frequently look at Shannons.

Then I look at bank acct. and cry.

Shannon really is the absolute pinnacle of sailboats. But that sort of quality has a price tag.

Did the OP get this boat?

Just re-watched a Capt Q podcast on one. They are absolutely gorgeous and judging by the hull/keel, look like they'd do just fine off shore.

Also curious about mast furling. It sure is nice to have infinite reefing adjustability, but the thoughts of it jamming with the sail fully out as the wind picks up is scary. IMO, if you must have a furling main, boom is the way to go, because even if it jams, you can still drop it and lash it to the boom, like any regular sail.

No, it went to some else before I felt comfortable with it, and before I could get a surveyor on it. I should have put money up to hold it instead of waiting for the surveyor to get back in contact with me.

Tags
rss