Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2021, 13:15   #1

Boat: Last owned Cat Morgan 51
Mac 65

What seems to be one of the worlds best kept secrets of sailboats, in the Mac 65, long slim fast. Found one in a poor way, but working on it, needs a lot of work of course, but dying to go take it out for a spin. Making it sea worthy to make the short journey south to Florida from MD. If anyone is interested in taking four days out to come do the same, contact us. ten knots in a sailboat is rare enough.
Peter Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 13:30   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Mac 65

Which do you have, the lighter race version or the heavier pilothouse cruising version?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 13:51   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Simon View Post
What seems to be one of the worlds best kept secrets of sailboats, in the Mac 65, long slim fast. Found one in a poor way, but working on it, needs a lot of work of course, but dying to go take it out for a spin. Making it sea worthy to make the short journey south to Florida from MD. If anyone is interested in taking four days out to come do the same, contact us. ten knots in a sailboat is rare enough.
So here is one item to be aware of regarding these boats: Much of the interior liners are finished fiberglass parts, molded to fit and screwed to the hull or other interior parts.

The problem I've seen on these boats is that the screws used (not bolts) are about like self tapping sheet metal screws, (or appear that way). Yes they are stainless but they have a habit of coming unscrewed when the boat works (as these boats do) or bounces around. Going around tightening the screws does not accomplish much, they just rattle out again.

Some Macgregors have been modified to make the fastenings more permanent.

I had this problem on one of my boats which was constructed this way (not a big Mac) and it was agrevating, if not fatal.
Old 02-03-2021, 16:50   #4

I have not seen these screws, but I will look for them. But yes the inside does look modular by design. The sailboat is different to anything else that I have ever owned.And no wood at all. But I need to get it to stretch its legs, and then see what rattles loose I guess.
Old 02-03-2021, 16:55   #5

It is the pilot house version, I do like the extra protection and second nav station position inside. There is not much about these boats around, we have studied them for months, but finally taken with them, a good re-turn of speed, sea trial on Friday next. So I guess we will see just what it can do.
Old 02-03-2021, 17:38   #6

Boat: Hanse 505 50'

I sailed a race version from St. Thomas through the canal to Mexico when I was a teen. Fond memories, and a fun boat to sail. Spartan interior.
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 18:17   #7

Well this will be my first time with this type of sail boat, always had cruisers. My wife once to try to travel faster she says, so that she will be sea sick less time I guess. But looking forward to the experience, yes not a lot in-side regarding furniture, all plastic it seems but less wood to maintain. Not much out there regarding these sail boats just a few still left around. We are going to record some of the sailing to see if they live up to there sleek reputation.
Old 02-03-2021, 18:48   #8

Boat: Hanse 505 50'

My recollection is that they are very quick downwind, surfs easily (good and bad), good in light air on all points of sail, and pound horribly into a chop. I think ours was roughly 9' deep (could be wrong, was years ago) and we sometimes had trouble getting into marinas.
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 19:22   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

The race version has 8.5' draft, 20,000lb, SA/D of 34
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/macgregor-65

Pilothouse version has 6' draft, 32,000lb, SA/D of 21
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ma...65-pilot-house

Cruiser is fast, racer is a screamer.
Old 02-03-2021, 21:02   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
The race version has 8.5' draft, 20,000lb, SA/D of 34
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/macgregor-65

Pilothouse version has 6' draft, 32,000lb, SA/D of 21
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ma...65-pilot-house

Cruiser is fast, racer is a screamer.
Wow! That's a hell of a difference in displacement between models!

Do you know if it is all in the ballast, or is the structure a bit more generous in the cruising version? I remember one in teh SF bay area (Zeus by name IIRC) that had some issues with blocks ripping out of the deck and so on... but she was being raced hard in the Gulf of the Farralones by an, errr, enthusiastic crew... most likely a cruiser will never drive the boat that hard (with that much rail meat).

Should be a ton of fun!

Jim
Old 02-03-2021, 21:11   #11

3,000lb more ballast to compensate for losing 2.5' of drafts, so 7,000lb of added non-ballast weight. There's extra weight in the pilothouse, but I don't think it's 7,000lb worth. My understanding is significantly more material went into the hull and deck since it was expected to be a cruiser.

8-10' taller mast is partly of how the racer got the astronomical SA/d

I also recall that the pilothouse rolled a lot at anchor with only 6' draft. Never rode on either so I can't say from firsthand knowledge.
Old 02-03-2021, 21:41   #12

Boat: Volkscruiser

PeterSimon there is one here in Hervey Bay and every time I walk past it I think that is an expensive boat to dock for so little room inside. The 3.56 meter beam might make her sweet to sail, but the 19.8 meter marina berth cost makes my eyes water.
Is 10 knots in a sailboat rare? Maybe 10 knot average, but certainly hitting 10 knots racing around the buoys hardly raises my eyebrows.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 21:59   #13

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Lot's of info (both good and bad - bad mostly structural) over at Sailing Anarchy. Here's one:

What is the scoop on the Macgregor 65?
What is the scoop on the Macgregor 65? - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

In that thread there is a long time owner (not sure if he still has the boat though, some of those posts are pretty old):

Tom O'Keefe - Sailing Anarchy Forums

"My father and I own hull number 2. The first boat from the female mold. Lean Machine has been aroud for 23 years. When she first came out there weren't any 70's Sleds yet. We raced her for the first decade and did several Cabo and PV races with her. We even got 3rd overall in one Cabo race against all the super sexy sleds. Dollar for dollar off the wind you'll have a hard time finding as much fun bang for the buck wise. Yes, they are flexy. No, they will not point (although the mods they did to Joss improved that by quite a bit). But, we've never had a significant structural problem and it got me into the sled scene. So, now I just take her out with the family for weekend island hops and day sails and race on all those sexy boats that I only dreamed about when I was younger."

On the other hand, other people also post things like this:

"...I've seen 20 knots on one just before a wave pooped us pretty hard, tearing the transom and pushpit off and leaving a four+ foot hole in the stern... "

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 23:49   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
"...I've seen 20 knots on one just before a wave pooped us pretty hard, tearing the transom and pushpit off and leaving a four+ foot hole in the stern... "
Now THAT would spoil one's day for sure!

Puts the Chiki Rafiki into perspective for structural failures at sea.

Jim
Old 03-03-2021, 04:05   #15

Most of the above seems true, but we will have to find out for our-selves, I think the trick is as a past cruiser type ( thats me) not a racer not since I raced dinghies, wow that was 40 years ago. Is to slow down in a heavy sea, and reef down sooner rather than later, and stay out of mariners, which I try to do anyway. But it is fitted with a bow thruster, that should make life a little easier. Most of the time I just pull along side get fuel and water and leave and go and sit on the hook. This boat has davits and a centre console dinghy to use, so far that should work for us.Rolling in harbours, yes not pleasant, will have to look for more sheltered places to stop over I know. But I am told these boats will start to sail in 5 knots of wind, many a time I have been drifting about in a sail boat with 5 knots or less, and just not going anywhere. But I am looking forward to seeing just how fast this boat is on a reason-able flat sea, after that just stick a reef in the sails and slow down to 10 knots. I have been watching films of these sailboats being sailed, at a easy 15/17 knots which is impressive to me, I have only been that fast when I crewed a tri-maran in the UK on the south coast chasing ferry,s and other sailboats around, that was GB4. That was crazy fast boat.
There is still very little knowledge on these boats, and I am appreciating every-ones impute. We are going to be on a steep learning curve here with this new boat.