Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2008, 08:33   #61

No one wants to be told that their baby is not the prettiest nor smartest on the block, so I see you have taken offense, none was intended. MAC's are well...functional. Your dream of cruising/touring is my dream also. But I will have to contend with sailing lakes for the time being and am looking for a boat that give me the feel of the water, if you catch my drift (pun intended). FYI kentucky Lake is 160K plus acres with an average depth of 50'. It is attached via canal to Barkley Lake which is 45K acres with average depth of 15'. Winter and summer pool difference is around 5'. From the lakes you can access the Ohio, Mississippi, Green, Tennessee and Cumberland rivers.
KYLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 09:17   #62

No offence taken at all, I just want you to have good honest info.
Back when I was a competitive X country skier a guy I beat almost every weekend was aways touting Wax-able skis only bla bla bla. But I beat him on Teflon fish-scales every Saturday. Do you see my point? I am a scuba instructor as well and I see people come to Coz with all the patches and all the stuff but the moment they inter the water its obvious they don't scuba much..... Don't let wannabe purist lead ya down the path....
We sail almost every weekend out of North Point Harbor ( Lake Michigan)that is no less than twice as often as most those Big 30 to 60 foot sail boats actually go sailing.
Kentucky lake would be a great place to sail no doubt. One of my biggest realty blunders was not buying a 2.5 acre peninsula on Lake Barkley from my folks when the offered it to me for $10K. I bought in Cozumel instead . . .I. . .thought we would retire there we didnt 8 grand-kids are right here!
Divecoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 12:11   #63

Thanks for the OK, didn't mean to rile anyone. I have some of the same "family" regrets. My uncle offered my dad an acre and a half of waterfront on Ky Lake, back in the late 60's, as I was leaving home for college. Dad told me that it would be a far drive for him and mom (before interstate) but said he would take it if I would be interested in helping him build a house there for a summer home. Of course, being young and stupid, with a million other things on my mind, I gave him several excuses as to why I would not have time. Dad turned it down. My uncle built on the site and sold it for $35,000 (as I remember). Last month that same house was on the market for $205,000. (God isn't making anymore waterfront property. I never imagined back then that I would end up retiring here.
KYLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 16:26   #64

Boat: MacGregor 26 X
KY Lake 200

KYLakes,

There is a cruise planned for Kentucky and Barkley Lakes starting May 3rd. It will be a 200 mile trip and will come down the Tennessee River and back up the Cumberland. I will be bringing my 2002 26X for the trip and presently plan on doing it single handed. Prehaps we could get together one day and you could see a Mac "Clorox bottle" in action.

Ken
Retcoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 16:39   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Everyone loves their own kids. There are a ton of Macs on the water all over. Can these people all be wrong?

Like every boat purchase define the mission, look at the options and dive in.

I can only report facts - A boat here went out (reportedly unballasted) in 15 knot winds and capsized completely turtle. The same boat and crew motored from Bali to Singapore successfuly. I spoke to the crew in the bar one night.

I think the Mac fits it's niche just fine. I'd lake sail it and coastal sail it. I just wouldn't take one out in the ocean with my family on board.

There are other 26-27 footers that will do that a lot better.

And this is the internet - Opinions are free and worth what you pay. I am as dumb as every one else around here. At the end of the day make your own choices.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 16:52   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
Lynx,
The problem is they are sold as real boats.
Your right nobody who owns one would consider going out to sea in one. but that is only AFTER they have bought the bloody thing.
Try asking the saleman for Mcgregor 26's "can I go to the bahama's" "can I go to the carribean" and they will say "sure" "one has sailed around the world" or some other rubbish.
If you want a 1ft draft buy a multihull and learn how to sail it.
Try accepting the facts that MacGregor's go to the Bahamas almost every day of the year and have been doing it for a long time. Pictures all over the net of Macs doing lost of Coastal Cruising. They sail to the The Dry
Tortugas as well. Again pictures all over the net . any pictures of this allusive buddy on his mac and then on his new Catalina ? I didnt think so. Your making up BS as fast as you can type. Dealers telling folks this is a blue water boat BS. Your buddy selling his as soon as he got back . And you have no doubt ever been beyound the horizon on any vessel you were in control of . Any fool can read it in your post... Dont buy one at least that way I know I'll never meet up with you at a gatheriing . .. Well maybe if we have a slip slid gathering.
Old 25-01-2008, 18:17   #67

My experience

I live in South Florida. I am interested in getting a MacGregor 26M. Is there anyone out there who knows if that is a good boat for a beginner? I also am looking at the Cat 30. But I am leaning towards the MacGregor 26.
Does anyone have any feedback, advice, opinions or experience with the MacGregor? I will be cruising the Indian River area and offshore close to the beach (within a mile). I might also take the Okeechobee Waterway through the lake to the West Coast and back. I want an inexpensive boat to be able to sleep on for a few nights or a few weeks max and one in which I can go sailing/boating with my sons. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

NewSailor,

Your original post indicates you want what a Mac 26 X or M offers.

I have a 2002 26 X. I have had her in Lake Okeechobee last year. We put in at Roland Martin's in Clewiston and went to Indiantown. We went around the rim canal. When we got to the St Lucie Lock the lockmaster was telling west bound boats the rim canal was impassable. We went back across the middle of the lake. No problems either time. I also read they are going to lower the lake level further to six feet. Only shallow draft vessels will be able to traverse the lake then.

We had her in the St James River and I became confused going into a creek to anchor for the night by the private PVC channel markers. I ended up missing the channel and going aground. We have a small battery operated air pump we use to blow up an air mattress. I stuck that in the water ballast vent hole and blew the ballast out, raising the boat about three inches and floating free in less than fifteen minutes. I didn't even get my feet wet.

We drug anchor one morning off Fleming Key near Key West in about 35 kts of wind. As I was having coffee, a mangrove tree came by my window.. A mad dash to the cockpit and we were going aground quickly. Fired up that 50HP Honda, tilted so only the prop was in the water, and that was enough to get us off safely.

Next night, we anchored off Boca Grande in the same high winds. Unfortunately, the incoming tide was about directly on the starboard beam. We bobbed and danced and did not get a lot of sleep. Next to us was another boat that was calm as pie. I asked them the next morning what they had and I have forgot the details except that they weighed 42,000 lbs.

The next night I was going to get some sleep so we pulled up behind Archer Key and anchored in what would have been about nine inches of water at low tide. We sleep like at home. If we went aground at low tide the flat bottom of the X kept her level and steady.

We went to Biscayne Bay, to Boca Chita Key, and met a couple with a Catalina 30. When we left the seawall they were aground on Featherbed Shoal. I circled them and asked if they wanted me to try to pull them off. They said, “No, high tide would be in a couple hours and they would be free by then.” We went across the shoal and on to University Dock, anchored, had supper, and were ready for bed before they came by.

We went to the 10,000 islands below Marco Island and enjoyed Picnic Key and Panther Key. We would back right up to the bank, with an anchor out, step off the boarding ladder in calf deep water, and spend delightful evenings on shore with a nice fire and good company. One day we were out about five miles and the wind just died. The temp was mid eighties. The wife began to get sick from the heat and the glare. Sails down, 50 HP down, and we were back on that shore in half an hour.

We went to Charlotte Harbor and sailed around Gasparilla Island to San Pablo State Park. Again we anchored in a foot of water and enjoyed the jumpingest fish I ever saw. Coming back was also the fastest I have sailed her. She indicated 7.2 Kts on the GPS.

All this being said, shows I did some dumb things. But, I did all these my first year with the X in about six weeks last winter. Adventures! We had 'em. Fun! We had it. Troubles, not many, and none we needed help with. And yes, I then pulled my granddaughter and some of her friends on a big tube thing in Lake St. Clair, Michigan.

The point is, the Mac is a very versatile beginner boat. She is strong enough for anything you will do as a new sailor. When you are ready to circumnavigate, get a different boat. You can have a blast with your kids now, doing a range of things no other boat will allow you to do.

A final thought for when you are out sailing around with you buddies in their keel boats. They are sailing circles around you and laughing, making fun of your “Clorox Bottle”. Now its time to strike sail and head for a marina. If there is only one slip left, who do you think will get it and who will anchor out?

Hope this helps.

Ken

PS: For thoughts on trailer sailors, hit the SAILBOATS ON TRUCKS post on this board. Macs don't have those problems.
Old 26-01-2008, 03:10   #68

I forgot to add, we also used her as a "travel trailer" for shore stays at Trumbo Point RV Park in Key West, at Collier-Seminole State Park, at Estero State Park, and at the Everglades Bluegrass Festival in North Miami. She may have looked "different" and "cheap" amoung those motorhomes and 5th wheel campers, but she "got-r-done".
Old 08-02-2008, 13:06   #69

happyfrog

i,am brand new to this site, so hi to everyone
I have been a sailor for almost 50 yerar and have sailed on boats from 14 foot to 55 foot. I currently own a compac 16 ane have sailed her for 15years on an inland lake. I am now very interested in a mac gregor 26m and I need your help. I,m 75 years old will be sailing alone as my wife will go for a "ride" being of no help whatsoever. MY question....can a man my age launch, rig and sail this boat myself.

I have no problem with the sailing , its the getting ready that concerns me

thanks for your help

happyfrog

my
robertelorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 14:07   #70

Robert / Happyfrog:
I would think that getting the mast up and down from the trailering position would be the biggest problem.
I have helped others with even smaller trailer-ables with mast lifting ever year I have owned mine......
Mine a MacGregor 26 M has got to be for her size and from what I have seen first hand,. . . the easiest mast to raise. My 5 foot zero 105 lb 60 y.od wife can do it ONCE I get it / the mast, out of the trailer position!
Do you feel good about hauling a boat this size ? Do you have a good size tow vehicle/ SUV / Truck? Do you feel comfortable with launch and retrieval of a boat this size as well.
By All Means Go look first . . .even sail one if possible . These boats are every where ask on the boards and find one close to your house. I live outside Chicago Does that help you?
Old 15-10-2008, 10:41   #71

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Hi, I'm gonna Bump this thread.

I'm going to day to look at an older MacGregor 26. It's not an X or an M. It's just a 26. Has a tiller, no wheel, and a little bitty engine (not a 50).

Wife and I have decided to "just do it".

Yep, we're gonna get a bigger boat for the coast and for cruising - in about three years. We're going to get this one for lakes here in Colorado and other places.

(At least we're considering it). The price is right and I'm going to take my camera in about a half hour and head up to the guy's place - which is 8 miles from my home.

The only other trailer boats I have found are running 15K and up here in Colorado. I don't want to spend that much since we aren't going to keep this one.

I've read a LOT of pros and cons on this boat over the past few days and this thread had a lot of both. In the end, I like Ken's post best where he talked about his experiences.

That says a lot.

It appears that, like radio equipment among Amateur Radio Operators, everyone has their favorites and hated gear. Apparently this particular boat is like everything else, and people who have their opinions.

In the end, I think it comes down to "What are you going to do with it?"

Since I KNOW what I'm going to do - get a boat for local use, one I can trailer, and get from place to place easily, this might just be the one.

Wish me luck.

Rick

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 16:35   #72

Your talking about the MacGregor Classic 26. Its won sailing awards and is a pretty quick sailor.....I am in North Point Harbor In Winthrop Harbor IL. we have 1500 slips 40% sail boats and 90+% are bigger than me and 98% have weighted keels. That said I have taken My 26 M out when few others would dare. Well at least they sat tied to the slip while I and only a few others sailed. So the trailer sailor water ballast negativity only goes so far with me. Buy what you want . Buy What you will USE ! In today's Market, buy what you can write a check for.
Old 15-10-2008, 17:45   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I agree with Divecoz with a few caveats -

Reef early, don't take her in known rough condiitons and pay attention to ballast.

There are a few in Singapore waters now. One based at our club.

Here's what the builder says.

"

As for its seaworthiness, Roger MacGregor said, “The 26 was designed for typical small cruising boat use—inland waters and limited coastal sailing. It is too small to be a long-distance passagemaker. It won’t hold enough gear and supplies, and the long-term, day-after-day motion of a small, light sailboat can be tough on the crew. “There are thousands of these boats out there, and many have been caught in, and survived, some really extreme weather conditions, on both lakes and oceans. Like most small cruising sailboats, the 26 can handle high winds and nasty seas, but risk and discomfort levels increase dramatically in severe weather. To maximize fun and safety, most of our owners wisely keep a watchful eye on the weather and try to avoid severe conditions.”
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 18:02   #74

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
A friend of mine, Cap'n Jerry Savage, sailed and lived aboard a Mac 26 for two years through the Bahamas and loved the boat. It will plane, which can be a little hairy, but he absolutely loved his time aboard and the shallow draft. It was a fast boat. Send me a PM and I'll forward it to him so you can speak with him directly.
Old 16-10-2008, 09:38   #75

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Good morning folks

I went shopping yesterday.

This is only the second sail boat I've ever "been on" - this one on dry land, the other one was on the water, but we never sailed.

I was surprised at "how big" a boat is on a trailer. Wow. For a 28 foot boat that is about 11 feet at the beam, it sure seemed bigger sitting up on the trailer.

Conversely, it sure seemed little inside. hahaha

The current owner of the "Nexus" has had it for just over 10 years. The previous owner apparently raced it back and forth in some of the lakes here in Colorado.

The boat is in good condition. The tiller arm is in horrible shape - but, I can build one or buy a new arm. The current owner is somewhat like me, electronically and electrically inclined and he has built a nice wiring setup to power the lights and various devices, including a depth sounder and has wiring for radios, but no radios.

The inside was very clean and neat, the outside, the mast no so well. It's been sitting on the trailer since the year before and he and his GF haven't put the boat in water due to other things.

He's had no other lookers as of yet so I'm not in a rush to make this decision.

Here's my pros and cons:

Wow... it's bigger than I expected (next to my jeep)

I've been having second, third and fourth thoughts about this (it's 8500 bucks, I'm trying to pay bills off so I can hit the ocean)... So there are pros and cons here.

Pros:

Boat is here
Boat is inexpensive ($8500 US)
Boat is big enough to get a feel for a big boat
I can learn here - don't have to wait til I get to an ocean
It's a big, but BASIC Boat
We can trailer it to lakes near by
I can PROBABLY pull it with my Jeep Cherokee (I think, more research on this to come)
Needs some work I can do
I can get out sailing next weekend
I might have to get a small loan to buy it
We can use it to learn to sail
We can use it to learn basic things about boats
Owner says he will help me set up the mast, take it down, teach me all about the boat
Says he will be happy to go out with me any time and show me anything about sailing
(Says if someone invites him sailing he won't turn down the invite!) haha

Cons:

It's kinda big (bigger than I expected) - Mostly to move.
Inside is really small (a LOT SMALLER than I expected)
Needs some work (I have to spend some money)
I can NOT store it at my house
I will have to store it at a slip in Pubelo (40 mi away) (200 bucks a month)
I will have to store it in dry storage (No idea of the monthly storage fees right now)
I eventually will have to re-sell it.
It's kinda old (1992 or so)
Had two owners - the most recent one for the last 10 years
Haven't seen the sails (he said they are good though)
Storing it makes it hard to work on
Storing it costs money
Storing it means I have to MOVE it every time I want to work on it or take it out sailing

Quote:
I agree with Divecoz with a few caveats -

Reef early, don't take her in known rough condiitons and pay attention to ballast.

There are a few in Singapore waters now. One based at our club.

Here's what the builder says.
Hey Ex-Calif, thanks for the notations, and I'd already read them. I've been digging extensively through the main site for MacGregor, and I've checked other forums and this one to see what people had to say about it so I was aware of that information.

We're not really planning on taking this boat to the sea, although depending on whether we're comfortable with it we might try the coast in the Gulf later down the road.

We'll mostly be on relatively small inland lakes for the time being until we're comfortable with the various aspects of sailing (and learning) then we'll planning on going out in a few Colorado "storms" to make sure we can deal with bad weather. Hey, training is training, isn't it?

Starfish, check your PMs.

Finally.... Spoke to my wife this morning. We've both "slept" on this. She wants to go see the boat this weekend for herself. We're still considering just a dinghy for local use. We can EASILY store it, haul it on a trailer, play with it whenever we want, practice, etc. So... perhaps something "too big" is too big.

I know several have given the advice of "the best sailors are those that learned in a dinghy" and several have said that was not necessarily true.

Either way, I see that learning is learning and each teacher and student has their own methods (having been a college teacher for a while, I know that some people simply don't learn no matter how badly you beat them over the head!)

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macgregor