Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2014, 06:11   #1

Boat: Luger, 16 foot
MacGregor V22 or Buccaneer 210?

I am looking at two boats for sale on the cheap right now.

The first is a buccaneer 210 for $400 OBO
It comes with a trailer that is functional, but needs clean-up, a mast, deck hardware is all present and functional, standing rigging that may be usable, and the exterior finish on the boat appears to be in decent shape. (Maybe a buffing and clear- coat to shine it up.)
It has no boom no sails, no rudder. The windows have been removed.
Overall, it is a project but appears to be a good solid hull, from pics and description. It needs a total gut and refinish inside and out.
I've read a lot of hype online about buccaneers. Basically I've determined they are slow and fast, ugly and pretty, terrible and great.
Sorting through it all, it seems they are slow with cheaper hardware, but roomy for the size.
Resale value is lower due to the negatives associated with the name, but the extra room might be a selling plus for a small family looking for some casual KY lake sailing. The shallow draft is another plus.

The second boat is a MacGregor Venture 22 for $850.
This boat comes with mast, boom, sails, rudder, porta-pot, a decent trailer, sink, table, some cushions, deck hardware, and railing intact.

I do not know the condition of standing rigging, but the hull needs a complete strip and refinishing. (Looks like someone did a poor job of painting over the original gel-coat.)

The inside needs cleaning and probably a thorough gutting/rebuild.

Initial internet searches did not turn up the negative hype about these boats like I found on the buccaneer. The biggest complaint was that the keel bolt was prone to leakage.....a fixable problem assuming there is no major structural issues from misuse.

Negatives for me are that it has a deeper draft, and an inboard CB housing, reducing cabin room.

Positives are that the deeper draft is also a swing keel, so if you hit something the keel will (or should,) give, the boat seems to have a better quality reputation, maybe a bit higher resale value, and I don't have to source new sales and boom.

22FT Bucaneer Sail Boat

22 ft Sailboat - $850

Thoughts and comments on which of these might be the better candidate for a restoration, casual lake/bay sailing, and eventual resale, would be greatly appreciated.
Money isn't an issue because I can afford either one. Obviously the $450 savings on the buccaneer is money towards the refit, but I'm trying to weigh out the facts to see if that savings is warranted.

One plus to the buccaneer is that if it is a total flop, I could recoup the purchase price by scrapping or parting the mast, trailer, and hardware.

Thanks in advance!
Old 18-06-2014, 08:48   #2

Boat: Hunter 27
Re: MacGregor V22 or Buccaneer 210?

I scrapped a Buccaneer for the trailer. 400 for the boat and I got 490 for the keel. Love the trailer. The boat was not worth restoring. The ventures have a great following so advice and parts are easy. I started with a 1000 boat and am up to 3500 And it is worth 2500. You need to find what you like. If I was picking the venture would win hands down. It will be way cheaper in the long run and sails better. You don't have to jump on the first one you see. There are some great deals on boats nowadays. Good like and let us know what you end up with.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 11:26   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
I scrapped a Buccaneer for the trailer. 400 for the boat and I got 490 for the keel. Love the trailer. The boat was not worth restoring. The ventures have a great following so advice and parts are easy. I started with a 1000 boat and am up to 3500 And it is worth 2500. You need to find what you like. If I was picking the venture would win hands down. It will be way cheaper in the long run and sails better. You don't have to jump on the first one you see. There are some great deals on boats nowadays. Good like and let us know what you end up with.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I agree with this comment. Even if you spent the time and money restoring the Buccaneer you would not be happy with the performance. Sailing around on something that is notorious for questionable quality will not be satisfying either. The smal Venture will be a fun boat just a bit larger than your Luger with more camping availability. If you intend to move up in size to 25 or so then I'd move toward Catalina not Mac. That's just a matter of opinion though so read some more before buying.
Old 18-06-2014, 11:37   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

After looking at the V22's photos it seems like a much better candidate. The pop-top with canvas enclosure while not attractive is a good feature while you are at anchor and camping. It is a high dollar add on. Make certain that while you are sailing there is a way to secure the poptop in its closed position. You don't want it coming up while heeling in a sudden wind gust.
If there is no rotten bulkheads below you will only have paint, bleach and polish to have a nice little weekend trailerable cruiser.
Old 18-06-2014, 20:24   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Eyeballing the photos I agree that the Venture looks a little more modern, complete and together. More elbow grease on the topsides than actual rebuild and as you and SkipperJohn note a couple of nice $$$ features.

The trailer looks in way better shape too.

I know it says "firm" on the price but everything is negotiable. Offer $600?

Boats make no financial sense and I don't know how tight your finances are but even $350 price difference over 3 years of ownership is $0.30 per day.

No brainer - the Venture.

BTW - The Buccaneer ad reads like the owner knows it is scrap - Make offer/haul away does not bode well. And it looks like the portlights are missing? Money pit...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macgregor