Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2017, 11:52   #1

Boat: Currently Boatless!
Macintosh 47 v. Mon 431 v. Van de Stadt 44

Dear Forum,

The search for the next boat continues... House is sold, old boat is sold, money is in the bank and I'm impatient to get going! One or two possibles have come close (still with compromises) but have not materialised for one reason or another. I have narrowed down the search to three boats that are currently in Europe - this is important for me as they are all VAT paid. This fits with my future plans as well as being more easily accessible for the months of planning and prepping prior to sailing off.

A recap on my criteria for a boat to take my Mrs and me around the world slow time:

1. Ocean capable/comfortable/safe especially when the weather is being unkind! I know this is controversial and depends largely on other equipment on board and the experience of the skipper. I'd like to base this largely on the boat itself, for now.

2. Within budget (around £80-90k - to include upgrades/maintenance/anomalies prior to leaving).

3. Comfortable and spacious when not crossing oceans - a priority for the other half! I'll be thankful for it too, I'm sure, but I shan't let her know that!

4. Manageable for a short-handed crew or single-handed (hopefully not too often for the latter!).

5. Able to have many sail configurations: cutter, ketch etc.

The above are the main points. As for differences in price and inventories, I think I can muddle through that and make an appropriate decision.

So, the boats in question:

Macintosh 47 - We like this for its space, comfort and layout. It is a little longer than I was looking for but I hope that is something I can easily get used to. Although the extra marina costs etc. will be harder to get used to!!!

Mon 431 - I like this for its size and the fact that it is pretty much ready to go (I know nothing about these boats and have struggled to find info online!). It is fully loaded with a lot of new kit on board - including three full sets of dive equipment (maybe, this is a distraction...). This is the least favourite of the Mrs!

Van de Stadt 44 - Nice layout. Steel - something that appeals to me - but not essential. Average inventory. Seems a lot of boat for the money.

I know nothing about the top two boats and hope there are people in here who can help me to understand the basics of them. Or at least, point me in the right direction where I can find more out. This'll help me to decide which one(s) to focus on.

For further understanding, we have not yet viewed any of these boats. This in itself could wipeout a boat or two! For now, it is all table planning before we spend £££££s on flights and accommodation.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer
Old 28-10-2017, 00:25   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Macintosh 47 v. Mon 431 v. Van de Stadt 44

Are you saying 90k pounds for purchase and upgrades? That seems low for boats in the size you are proposing. 20k of upgrades is not a lot for heading off for continuous cruising.
Old 28-10-2017, 01:27   #3

Hi Paul,

I hear you - it seems a bit of a tall order! This is one reason why I favour the Mon 431: new standing rigging, water maker, new solar, new batteries and, from the advert at least, in excellent condition. If I can negotiate a better price then that will free up the coffers for other essentials and niceties.

But what I don't know is the brand history and reliability/issues of the Mon 431. I met a Danish woman on holiday last week who had a boating friend. She called him and asked about the brand to which he replied "a good boat." That's about as much as I know!
Old 28-10-2017, 02:13   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

It sounds like the Mons are Danish built. Does this one really have only 10 hours on the diesel? I"m sure someone CF knows these boats.
Old 28-10-2017, 02:25   #5

She has 150 hours on the engine since her last overhaul.

She is Danish. I have asked a mate in Denmark to see what he can dig up - his Mrs is Danish...
Old 28-10-2017, 03:00   #6

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

If you stretch the budget a bit, Berthon has a listing for a beautiful Stevens 47 in the UK. It was high on my list of candidates, but since I am on the opposite side of the pond, we made another choice.

The Stevens 47/49 S&S hull design is one of my favorites for cruising and the boats in general are very rugged.
Old 28-10-2017, 03:12   #7

SVT, the Stevens 47 is a stunner. Unfortunately, £90k is about as far as I can go - £140k is a tad more than a stretch...
Old 28-10-2017, 03:22   #8

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by settlednomad View Post
SVT, the Stevens 47 is a stunner. Unfortunately, £90k is about as far as I can go - £140k is a tad more than a stretch...
I know that feeling, but it has been listed for sometime and the UK winter is coming! :-) I would guess it could go for 10-15k less.

We stretched our budget a quite a bit to get what we wanted but I am very glad we did.

On the other hand, if you can fit your requirements into a 44' hull, I see a lot of good and well kept candidates pop up in that range. Perhaps more in the USA than Europe.

Good luck with the search!
Old 28-10-2017, 09:43   #9

Boat: Camano 41

Nomad, your question will invariably turn into mathematics. If the 140K Stevens is kitted out, and sells for less than asking, and the 90K with up to 20-30K (on the light side) will likely be in the same ballpark. If you are only going to do this once, try not to settle. The battery bank is not on the high side of expense, neither is water maker. Try pricing a set of sails with offshore ruggedness and see where that number lays. Engine and mechanical will also be something you want done before you leave. Never be the guy in port waiting for parts to arrive. If your wife wants to use microwave, and you have other electronic gadgets aboard, (fridge, freezer, ham radio etc) make sure you have what it takes to supply all these. We had calculated everything on board for electrical consumption, except, the ham radio broadcasting at 100w for hours during net time. Dinghy? You may find that your 'car' takes you further that you ever thought. Good luck hunting!
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 09:53   #10

Hi Greg,

There may be a bit of confusion with my post - my budget is £90k all up: boat purchase + upgrades. If I can spend less, then I am happy to do that too. I have considered looking way down the range at £30-40K for the boat and having £50-60k to completely refit it. This is still an option by the way.

Of the three boats I mentioned, I guess I was asking more about the suitability of each as I don't know very much at all about the Macintosh or the Møn. Perhaps I should have just asked for info on those two without getting all long-winded about it!!