Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 16:42   #1

Mainsail Cable Winch Is Garbage - Where Can I Buy a New One ?

well i spend about 10 minutes on the internet just now trying to find one. I cant seem to find one anywhere. The end of the cable has a screw that holds it into the winch. I thought of some type of harber freight deal but im sure i can do better. Again this is the winch used to hoist up my mainsail. the design of it is rediculous and it was failing to lock into position when the mainsail was all the way up. Im sure i could have adjusted it but i tried and it was a major pain in the ass so my rule is keep it simple so now im on a goosechase. This winch is mounted on the mast. i was thinking of just rigging my old one like maybe drilling a hold in it for a pin to lock it into position... there seem to be plenty of rope winches available everywhere, seems strang i cant find a cable winch meant to mount to mast. looking in wrong place i hope. thanks ahead for any advice
albergsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 17:06   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
If you have a marine consignment shop in the area you might try there, or eBay... Otherwise you may just need to take it apart and service it. Or put the rope winch on and replace the halyard. My wire winch is still good, but I can forsee replacing it to be a problem...
Old 11-08-2011, 17:10   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: mainsail cable winch is garbage where can i buy a new one?

The reason you can't find one is that they were crap and dangerous. I think you would be better off getting a rope winch.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 17:22   #4

Mine is almost 40 years old, hasn't hurt anybody yet, still works just fine... but I guess everybody's entitled to their opinion, however crazy it might be
Old 11-08-2011, 17:29   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The wire reel winches would spin the handles when the brake was released. Notorious for the spinning handle to break arms and do other damage to the unsuspecting. Mfg. quit making them decades ago probably because of the liability issues.

They used to turn up fairly regularly on Ebay and sell cheap but haven't seen one in quite awhile. Bacon's, Blue Pelican, Minney's, etc consignment/2nd hand stores would be your best bet as almost every one has gotten rid of them. The new ultra low stretch synthetic halyards have really made them obsolete as well as dangerous.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 17:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The wire reel winches would spin the handles when the brake was released. Notorious for the spinning handle to break arms and do other damage to the unsuspecting. Mfg. quit making them decades ago probably because of the liability issues.

They used to turn up fairly regularly on Ebay and sell cheap but haven't seen one in quite awhile. Bacon's, Blue Pelican, Minney's, etc consignment/2nd hand stores would be your best bet as almost every one has gotten rid of them. The new ultra low stretch synthetic halyards have really made them obsolete as well as dangerous.
I could see that would happen the first time I used mine, not gonna happen now that I know.... Doesn't make them dangerous just because ill-informed people get their arms ripped off It makes ill-information dangerous

If you can replace the wire winch with a cheap new one (since their so cheap because their dangerous and 'crap') go for it. If not, it's time to upgrade...

Doesn't have to become a discussion about the usage of old technology.
Old 11-08-2011, 18:15   #7

Boat: Tartan 37 #6
Re: Mainsail Cable Winch Is Garbage - Where Can I Buy a New One ?

Heres one on e-bay now, hope link works*LEWMAR 5 1/4 INCH WIRE WINCH | eBay
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 18:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
Heres one on e-bay now, hope link works*LEWMAR 5 1/4 INCH WIRE WINCH | eBay
I can say that I've bought parts from these guys several times (non-mechanical stuff) and Have never been let down.

The wire winch on my mast (37 years old) is a Barient (along with the rest of the winches on the boat), so I can't speak for the quality, or functionality, of Lewmar... If you have a used/consignment parts store around, you can see them in person, that's always better...I'd email the seller and see if you can make a return "if it doesn't fit" before bidding.

Buying used is always a risk, so take precautions, just as you would when using a defunct technology
Old 11-08-2011, 18:55   #9

Boat: Pearson 281

Among the old salts here one of them who has been sailing schooners since he was 14 (now 86) and racing them since he was in his 20s has only ever broken a bone once while sailing. This from a wire reel mansail winch.

I say move on. I had one on my LeCompte, a good one, and I never liked it. Particularly on big days when things had to happen fast.
With other safer, less hard to find options why bother?
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 19:22   #10

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi

I still try not to leave a handle in a winch because of those things. The inner works of my winches are not going to do what the old ones did. It's engrained though get the handle out of that winch The other lovely thing these old winches would do was allow the handle to become unpinned. The result was a chunk of bronze being nun chucked up at your chin.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 19:28   #11

I'm not trying to promote wire winches, or suggest that they are better, or safer, or anything... but the safer, less hard to find, and 'better' options, are about $600 more expensive than the older, more dangerous, difficult to find ones... All I'm saying is, I'll stick with what works until it break (either itself or my arm)

I have an OLD winch handle that does not lock into place. it's the one I always take to the mast...

Maybe I'm just used to working around mega-equipment that can chew an arm off, or maybe I'm just spechal Or maybe, this stuff has worked for 40 years and will continue to do so for another 40... who knows.

YMMV
Old 12-08-2011, 14:02   #12

Boat: Irwin, custom Sloop, 45

I have two Barient mast mounted fully operable cable winches that I recently removed from my boat that I will sell to you if interested.
NirvanaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail, winch