Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2023, 13:05   #1

Boat: 1989 Tayana Vancouver 42
Manual Bilge Pump Hose

Hi everyone,

I was hoping I could get some suggestions for hose replacement for a manual bilge pump on a Tayana 42. It looks like the current hose on there is a 1.5" ID exhaust hose, which is extremely expensive ($20/ft). These hoses are actually used all around in my boat, even to the cockpit drains. Maybe I'm overlooking something there but Im curious about why they might've been used in the first place and if I need to switch them with equally robust replacements. Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
Deepseabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 14:10   #2

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Manual Bilge Pump Hose

Go to an industrial hose/rubber supply store.
You'll most likely have your pick of several types, and you won't have to pay "marine prices".
No reason at all to have to use some exhaust rated hose for a manual pump.
Old 23-04-2023, 14:41   #3

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Go2marine and Jamestown have 1-1/2" exhaust hose for much less than $20/foot. Go2marine has the best price.

I'm in the process of replacing all of the hoses in the lazarette and the seacocks in my V42. Not fun.

John
Old 23-04-2023, 16:31   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

Ya $20/ft is way too high. Can easily find wire reinforced exhaust hose in that diameter for <$12/ft cheaper if not reinforced.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 17:45   #5

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

I will be replacing the manual bilge pump hose on our boat as well. Beneteau used hose that looks identical to swimming pool vacuum hose. The latter is just over $1/ft depending on the source and is designed to tolerate negative pressure as well as swimming pool chemicals.

I showed some of the original hose to a chandlery in Papeete and the proprietor became quite agitated and asked "who installed vacuum cleaner hose on your boat"? I mentioned the Beneteau factory and he calmed down a bit, but was insistent that the hose is unsuitable for a marine application. He was not able to say why this particular hose might be deficient.
Old 25-04-2023, 18:58   #6

Boat: 1968 Columbia 36

Is the thru-hull for the bildge pump exit above or below the waterline?
Fishzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 01:35   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
I showed some of the original hose to a chandlery in Papeete and the proprietor became quite agitated and asked "who installed vacuum cleaner hose on your boat"? I mentioned the Beneteau factory and he calmed down a bit, but was insistent that the hose is unsuitable for a marine application. He was not able to say why this particular hose might be deficient.
Due to its profile (the convoluted nature of the tube increases the surface to volume ratio, and also creates significant turbulence), pressure loss in corrugated hose is significantly higher, than that in smooth bore hoses/pipes.

As a general rule, pressure drop in the turbulence zone of corrugated hose may be about 150% higher than in smooth pipe, while pressure drop in the high velocity zone will be as much as 450% higher.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 01:49   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I recommend Trident #144 hose https://tridentmarine.com/product/tr.../#.ZEjkji9Bwgo

This hose is heavy duty, has a hard pvc (non metal) helix and is affordable at $3.42 per foot for 1.5” ID https://defender.com/en_us/trident-1...live-well-hose

This isn’t as flexible as that “vacuum cleaner hose”. The trick is to fasten it at the right places and I use a heat gun to convince it to lay the way I want, then fasten it quickly.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 09:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I recommend Trident #144 hose https://tridentmarine.com/product/tr.../#.ZEjkji9Bwgo

This hose is heavy duty, has a hard pvc (non metal) helix and is affordable at $3.42 per foot for 1.5” ID https://defender.com/en_us/trident-1...live-well-hose

This isn’t as flexible as that “vacuum cleaner hose”. The trick is to fasten it at the right places and I use a heat gun to convince it to lay the way I want, then fasten it quickly.
This looks like what I bought in Papeete. And it is hard to bend or stay put. I didn't have a heat gun at the time but will remember to do this when I replace the remaining hose in those locations where that will be possible.
Old 26-04-2023, 09:57   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

That accordian style plastic hose should be banned from boats imo. The bottom of the corrugated V on that hose is extremely thin material.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 11:33   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
That accordian style plastic hose should be banned from boats imo. The bottom of the corrugated V on that hose is extremely thin material.
Agreed. It was the bottom of the V that fractured in several places on the hose going from the pump to the discharge thru-hull. The pump would therefore have moved water from the bilge to the aft lazarette where it would eventually make its way back to the bilge.
Old 26-04-2023, 11:45   #12

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I've used the Trident 144 hose. Never again! I can never get more than 1 season from that hose. Every winter (when it gets cold) the hose cracks right along one of the PVC helical coils. Switched to Trident #200 hose and problem is gone.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 15:16   #13
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I've used the Trident 144 hose. Never again! I can never get more than 1 season from that hose. Every winter (when it gets cold) the hose cracks right along one of the PVC helical coils. Switched to Trident #200 hose and problem is gone.
Winter !?? “when it gets cold” !?? I think you have bigger problems than a cracked hose

Sail south!

But yes, I’ve only used this hose in the tropics and subtropics, but one is 20 years old and good as new.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2023, 04:27   #14

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Operating Temperatures: 10° F - 120° F (-12° - 49° C)

How cold are your winters?

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, pump