Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2021, 18:54   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS
Re: Marine How To? anybody heard from them recently? Opportunity to Help Maine Sail

My bad...do not know how many times I have looked at that site without associating his name. I like to thank Rod for all the information he has provided and I wish him and his family good health.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 19:33   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
Re: Marine How To? anybody heard from them recently? Opportunity to Help Maine Sail

Wow. I purchased and happily used his butyl, read most of his articles and really learned a lot from him. My best wishes for a speedy and healthy recovery.
I hope each of us can give him back a little in this time of need: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?cmd=_...=FLBF3379TLPGS
Fair winds to all.
Old 26-10-2021, 15:37   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Any news or update on Rod's condition? No new posts on his web site.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 03:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Any news or update on Rod's condition? No new posts on his web site.
Posted by Phil Herring (Rodd's brother-in-law) on Sailboat Owners on October 5th:

I got a call from Rodd himself, which I wasn't expecting and managed to miss. But he did leave a voicemail which I will pass along to you:

- Rodd's speech, which I had been told was really bad, was actually quite good. He sounded like Rodd, albeit a little weaker but easily understandable and with no noticeable problem finding words.

- He sounded down -- deflated might be the right word -- and worried, as would be expected.

- He said he is paralyzed on one side. I know stroke symptoms like this can change with time and physical therapy, but if there's a doctor here who can shed some light on how to gauge stroke recovery prognosis, that would be most helpful.

- His business is shut down for at least the time being. Whether that comes back or not will depend on his recovery.

- He's looking at months of rehab and therapy, and he is worried about how his family will afford that without going bankrupt.

- Peggie contacted me last week to suggest a Go Fund Me for Rodd's recovery, but from what his brother said I didn't think it was necessary. I do now though, after this call. I believe Rodd is insured but even the good policies put caps on residential rehab facilities, and they are extremely expensive.

- If there's anyone who has created a Go Fund Me please contact me either through PM or our support center. We're up for doing it here but help and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 03:58   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Posted by Phil Herring (Rodd's brother-in-law) on Sailboat Owners on October 5th:

I got a call from Rodd himself, which I wasn't expecting and managed to miss. But he did leave a voicemail which I will pass along to you:

- Rodd's speech, which I had been told was really bad, was actually quite good. He sounded like Rodd, albeit a little weaker but easily understandable and with no noticeable problem finding words.

- He sounded down -- deflated might be the right word -- and worried, as would be expected.

- He said he is paralyzed on one side. I know stroke symptoms like this can change with time and physical therapy, but if there's a doctor here who can shed some light on how to gauge stroke recovery prognosis, that would be most helpful.

- His business is shut down for at least the time being. Whether that comes back or not will depend on his recovery.

- He's looking at months of rehab and therapy, and he is worried about how his family will afford that without going bankrupt.

- Peggie contacted me last week to suggest a Go Fund Me for Rodd's recovery, but from what his brother said I didn't think it was necessary. I do now though, after this call. I believe Rodd is insured but even the good policies put caps on residential rehab facilities, and they are extremely expensive.

- If there's anyone who has created a Go Fund Me please contact me either through PM or our support center. We're up for doing it here but help and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Thanks for posting this. A bit encouraging and discouraging at the same time. At least he's making some steps toward recovery. Hope it continues.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 10:59   #21

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

We all wish for Rod to make a speedy recovery. This TED Talk by a brain scientist who herself suffered a massive stroke offers insight and an example of recovery. My wife had a stroke one year ago and has mostly fully recovered thanks to diligent physical, speech and occupational therapy.

https://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte...ce=tedcomshare
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 12:05   #22

IIRC, the consensus of the GFM campaign was to instead and more directly contribute directly on the marinehowto website.

We all wish Rod all the best.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 12:37   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There's no harm in having more than one, I suppose, might reach more people. If everybody gives a little, it will still help. I'm not saying to not be really generous, if you have it to give, but with many of us, even smaller amounts per person can help.

Ann
Old 12-11-2021, 06:57   #24

Boat: Contest 46

I just logged onto marinehowto and saw the message from Rodd's brother and then came across this thread. Really sorry to hear it. He's been a constant fountain of helpful information. I donated and hope other folks' that have benefited from his knowledge do too. https://marinehowto.com/
MondayNever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:07   #25
Marine Service Provider

Please spread the word and post a link to the Marine How To site on every site and email list where Rod ("Maine Sail") is likely to be known. He still has his mind, his memories and his sense of humor, and his speech is actually quite good, but he has serious mobility issues that even the best insurance isn't likely to cover entirely. He's given so much to so many sailors, it's our turn to give back!

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 13:26   #26

Boat: Lagoon L42

Donated. Rod has provided so much free info over the years it is the least I can do. I hope he has a speedy recovery.
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:51   #27

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I wanted to bump this thread again. I hope you will consider donating something.

I can't tell you how many times I have looked at - and studied ! - info on his website. The article on ACR's is pretty much my blueprint for how I am rewiring my boat.

If you have ever learned something from his site, you should donate.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:17   #28

Good one OMM

Here's a pic of Rod going home after 53 days in hospital. This was from November 2021, if I'm remembering correctly.

The small amount of follow-up info is that Rod is working on gross-motor movements (like walking, etc.) and the fine-motor movements (like typing enough to run Marine How-To), will be a while yet.

I don't know Rod personally of course, but he sounds a pretty upbeat and determined guy, so I expect he's been quietly making forward progress over the Winter.

We're with you, Rod! Keep on, keepin' on!
LittleWing77
Attached Images

LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maine, sail, marine