Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2021, 22:58   #16

Boat: Dudley Dix 38 Pilot House 38 feet
Thumbs up Re: Markings for an Australian registered boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Reef Cafe View Post
Mike,

I went through this recently. The instructions are quite clear and this is what I ended up with on my Moody 425.

Regards

Russ
Great, Many thanks
MikeRunningFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 23:31   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Markings for an Australian registered boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Hi Stu,

nasty one, they can probably get you for perjury. Did you take the boat off the Australian register.

Yes, so what is now marked on the insde fo my boat is none of Australia's business.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 00:25   #18

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Markings for an Australian registered boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Hmm ... If you delete a vessel from the Aus register, you can get (likely on request and probably for a fee) a Certificate of Deletion.

I've seen several commercial ships and recreational yachts with more than one registration marking.

I've not seen requirements to remove markings and, further, I suspect that you would be best not removing markings.

My (albeit limited) understanding is that the provenance of a hull should be fully traceable from boatyard, to first owner/national registration, to second owner/national registration, and so on ad infinitum.

That means that ships papers are or could be a collection of papers that might start with builder's papers, and then include entry onto one national register, followed by a certificate of deletion, followed by entry onto a second national register.

In other words, a chain of ownership from builder to current owner, not a cleanskin created anew without history.

AMSA does have a facility for confirming or advising them on the status of a vessel's registration status, including if it has been sold or broken up. See:

https://www.amsa.gov.au/confirming-y...ration-details
I am aware of the vast difference between laws and regulations on one hand and the policing of them and am also aware that things can run along without problems for years and then something happens and it grabs the attention of the crown law departments lawyers and then you are shocked to find that the magistrate or judge takes a very dim view of scofflaws.

The folks down at AMSA are aware of the problem with the dual regulation requirements of the states and their taxing scheme whereby they use vessel registrations to levy an illicit luxury tax but you will not get any reply to an inquiry on the matter.

I'm fairly certain that there will be a process to de-register Australian ships as their are requirements related to the status of owners and ships are sold to overseas based entities all the time.

There are also probably laws against misrepresenting the national status of a vessel by not removing the markings.

Or of you cannot produce a chain of evidence as to ownership you may be required to include a statutory declaration with the application and thereby place yourself at risk of a charge of criminal perjury if the declaration is untrue.

Tags
Australia, boat