Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2012, 04:26   #1

Boat: Young Sun 35
Send a message via Skype™ to fwalschots
Martzcraft 35

Hi.

Refining my boat search and the Martzcraft 35 is high on my list. doing my research and came across this on the Bruce Roberts site. Titlet Blacklisted designs.

There are many fiberglass Roberts 35's sold in Australia under the name of MARTZCRAFT ... These are built from molds from out of date plans so not recommended and also no royalties were paid on these boats so they are black-listed with all our design offices.

Anybody care to comment or shed some light on this.

cheers

Frans
Old 24-05-2012, 04:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Martzcraft 35

Martzcraft 35's had a fairly good name as a cruising boat back in the 70's and 80's. Always read that it was a good solid cruiser. i know there is one in Runaway Bay marina on the Gold Coast that has not been moved or antifouled for about two decades.

Coops.
Old 24-05-2012, 05:41   #3

Boat: Moody 425

I own a Martzcraft 35, and it is a very good boat. Brent Martz is still building boats and continues to be a well respected builder.

The comments on Bruce Roberts site that you refer to are in the context of a more than decade long saga between Bruce Roberts and a former employee/partner.

It would appear that the Martzcrafts are largely collateral damage from this dispute, with the claim from Bruce Roberts being that royalties are owed to him from Brent Martz. There are of course always two sides to a story and as to the wrongs and rights and ups and downs of this one I am not really sure.

Bruce Roberts IIRC is a sometimes active member here, he may wish to make comment on the situation himself.

What I do know is this.

The Martzcrafts were built based on the Roberts plans for over 10 years. One that I know of circumnavigated via the Southern Ocean, another is currently in Asia, several have been around the Pacific. Ours has proven to be a soild enjoyable boat for a faimly sailing the east coast, and we look forward to taking her further afield.

I personally do have some problems stomaching the statement 'out of date plans'. it has a alarmist sound to it and when you unpack the claim it doesn't really mean much to the purchaser of a secondhand 20 year old boat. A 1985 Roberts 35 and a 1985 Martzcraft 35 would be still be very very similar boats. The point being made I guess is that if you have an issue with your Martzcraft 35 don't ring up Bruce and complain.

I look at it this way.......
Even though John Lennon and Paul Mccartney may not have seen eye to eye towards the end it doesn't mean I can't still enjoy the White album

Likewise the combination of the Roberts 35 design, built with Martz's touches has created one damn fine boat IMHO. Who didn't get payed for what is really a matter for those two guys to sit down and sort out over a beer.
Meanwhile it isn't something that worries the average Martzcraft owner, we are generally too busy sailing and luxuriating in our spacious queen aft cabins
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 17:53   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Some news on the one that i mentioned above. A lady, who lives on a 24' but wants a bigger boat, took a huge gamble and bought the boat for $12,000 against all advice from the folks on the marina. They all told her that it had not been anti-fouled for 18 years, and would be shot to pieces. Well, she had it lifted, blasted and scraped and guess what, no osmosis at all, anywhere. She tore out the interior and pressure washed everything and all the bearers are good and strong. Sails are good, so she needs an engine, respray, fully refitted interior and renew some of the rigging. She will do as much of the work herself as she can and figures that she will have a cruising boat better than she could ever afford to buy at the end of it. Good on her i say.

Must have been a well built boat.

Coops.