Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2023, 21:37   #1

Boat: Hunter, Legend 45
Mast and running new wiring with no room

Hey All
Need some advice.

I purchased a Hunter 45 a few months ago. I was given a new mast head wind direction unit with all the wiring. This works as I wanted to relocate the Raydome from a stern post to the mast as well.
Upon a close inspection, there were never any original wires to the top of the mast for the wind direct unit.

Existing wires inside the mast run inside a conduit or tube of sorts. I can not gain access to the conduit from the top or any where near the top to run new lines. In addition, adding the new Raydome part way up the mast would also have the same issue.
I have a deck stepped mast and tried with a small camera to look thru the opening from below however it dead ends with silicone. From an opening at the deck level it looks like an "S" tube inside the mast at deck level. I am guessing for prevention.
All that being said. I am guessing my options are to run wires up the outside of the mast or..?? Would this be safe, or wise. Issues with some sort of attachment to the mast..?

Any other suggestions..??
I am using Raymarine wind direction/speed unit.
Also using Raymarine Raydome and new Axiom display. Yet to be installed.
Puff68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2023, 23:07   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Mast and running new wiring with no room

It's a pain in the ass, you're going to need to run the wire attached to another one that's already in the masthead, tricolor anchor light, etc., it's a 3x1, I mean you use the wire for example ,from the anchor light, you disconnect it from deck level and pass a line messenger, dyneema preferred, and from there you then pass the 2 wires ,wind and anchor light.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2023, 23:14   #3

Boat: Columbia 50
Re: Mast and running new wiring with no room

Using a hole at the top where your wires will exit, drop a weighted line down the inside ot the mast.

Prepare a moderately strong line a bit longer than the new wiring by running your wires along it and securing the two together with zip ties tied to it every few inches, leaving the tails on, and arranged to stick out in all directions. Basically, your cables/line should look like a long bristle brush. Draw the assembly up the mast through your lower access panel. Tie off the line supporting the wiring up top to an eye ( this will support the wires). You now have your wiring up top to connect your instruments, lights, or whatever to. The zip tie tails will keep the wires centered in the mast, or at least not slapping it. For a midpoint exit, you can have the radar wiring ride the same line - you just have to situate the cable ends so that they’re the right height after the assembly is hoisted, and fish the ends out your midpoint hole.

While I recommend that you drop the weighted pull line while the mast is up, so it takes a straight path down and doesn’t wrap any internal halyards, it’s a lot easier to run the cabling, fish connectors out, secure the supporting line, etc. With the mast down.

As you’re going to need to either fish the lower ends of your cables through the existing snorkel or make a new cabin penetration, you’ll want to have the mast out of your way anyway if your wiring penetrates inside the mast. If your penetrations are external, no worries - just a bit trickier.

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, wiring