Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2019, 22:05   #16

Boat: Caribbean 40
Re: Mast Replacement in Autona, Marquesas Is., French Polynesia

Thanks to everyone responding to my message;
Still have to sort out different possibilities.
Will try to find another used mast in Papeete - Tahiti,
then get the boat there motoring.
Regards, Tauanea.
Tauanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 23:45   #17

Boat: Boatless

My two cents?

If you are comfortable with your engine et al forget the mast for now. Literally cut the rest of it off and forget it. You have achieved what few do.

Enjoy this part of the world.

We made it to Tahiti rather quick. Played around in the Tuamotos a bit but if I could do it over (and I will) I would slow down and enjoy it more.

Your passages from here forward are relatively short. Bump along and enjoy the most spectacular part of the world.

You are on a trawler now. You have a GREAT story. Smile, puff your chest out and drink it in!

What an opportunity!!!!!!!!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 00:31   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
My two cents?

If you are comfortable with your engine et al forget the mast for now. Literally cut the rest of it off and forget it. You have achieved what few do.

Enjoy this part of the world.

We made it to Tahiti rather quick. Played around in the Tuamotos a bit but if I could do it over (and I will) I would slow down and enjoy it more.

Your passages from here forward are relatively short. Bump along and enjoy the most spectacular part of the world.

You are on a trawler now. You have a GREAT story. Smile, puff your chest out and drink it in!

What an opportunity!!!!!!!!
I used to have this for my signature: Today's disaster is tomorrow's adventure....and you may dine out on it!

I quoted akprb to you, because it is one way to look at all this, and we want you to absorb that you did a great job under jury rig, and that there is unique cruising between Atuona and Papeete. Give yourself a while to decompress, and then, go for it. You attained your destination. There are more to come.

Ann

PS. I would not remove the jury rig. It probably does a little roll dampening for you. But there is no sin in treating the boat as a trawler, if you can locate the necessary fuel. Jim suggested a timber mast, it's a possibility, for the short term.
Old 22-07-2019, 10:29   #19

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

What a schmilblik! French expression for "carp".. doodoo happens.

I won't reflect on the previous comments but have a mate who was dismasted between Hiva Oa and Fakarava. Helped him organize the repais and found 2 riggers in all of FP. They are both in Tahiti.

Matt Rigging: the most expensive and little availability.
Benoit Parnaudeau: less expensive (but expensive) Here is the phone number of Benoit. Speaks good english and a competitive sailor himself (+689 87 33 39 56)
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 14:44   #20

Boat: Caribbean 40

Hi to everybody here.
Contacted all the links I've got from several of you. Unfortunately the outcome is negative. Have someone in Tahiti looking for a spare mast but even this one seems to be without any result.
Consequently, I do have to look for another solution. What I have in mind is buy a 'seaworthy' 2nd hand boat on the W-coast of USA for a possible bargain and sail this one over to the Marquesas and switch her mast on mine. I found some interesting boats on the net and one in particular. To be able to make up my mind and decide the buy I should go right away to the USA and see for myself. Suppose this is a good choise, I can only sail that one to Marquesas in the right period, that is march, april and may. The boat I am interested in is lying in San Diego.
Maybe someone knows somebody living there or in the neighbourhood who is willing to go and look at this boat and tell if it is worth buying it and able to sail it over to the Marquesas.
Send me a PM if someone could do this.
Jacques.
Tauanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 15:39   #21

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Hi Matey,

I was in Taina Marina and know for a fact that a few boats had sunk on the mooring balls outside the marina itself. If you know someone in Papeete, have them take a look at the "sunken" treasures visible from the marina. ... However, my recollection is from 2 years ago.

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 16:04   #22

Boat: Allied 39

Jacques. I am in SD now. Just sent you a PM.

Chuck
Old 11-08-2019, 13:42   #23

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
Jacques. I am in SD now. Just sent you a PM.

Chuck

Jacques - Just in case you check this forum before you check your email. I have sent a description of the vessel in San Diego to your email address provided me and also posted numerous pictures on our google drive with another email sent to you with the link

Regards

Chuck
Jacaranda

Tags
enc, French Polynesia, mast, men