Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2019, 14:05   #1

Boat: Caribbean 40
Mast Replacement in Autona, Marquesas Is., French Polynesia

Dismasted on the passage from Panama to Marquesas.
Got all the luck to get to Hiva Oa after 74 days on jury rig.
Does anyone have some acquaintances in Tahiti, Rangiroa or any ideas
how to proceed to find a 'second hand' mast.
sloop - 40' - mastheaded rigging - 15,50m long - double spreaders
Thank you for any help.
Tauanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 14:19   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Mast replacement in French Polynesia

I don't have any contacts but holy smokes! Do you have a writeup of it anywhere?
Old 19-07-2019, 14:26   #3

Boat: Caribbean 40

Hi Alctel,
No writeup. Want to forget the 'incident' as soon as possible.
Only looking for a replacement mast.
Tauanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 14:35   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Tauanea,

CF member chouli has spent a number of seasons in the Societies and may be able to offer some practical assistance.

It is going to be expensive, because of the tax structure there, but I can see where you'd rather not miss the Tuamotus, and it's a long way to the Societies.

You need to call around and try to locate one yourself, and if your French isn't up to it, like mine isn't, perhaps you could hire someone to do your talking for you. Make up a comprehensive list of all the stuff you'll need, right down to toggles, mechanical swages, etc, first. There is a rigger in Tahiti, and it's possible there might be one associated with the Moorings in Raiatea, as well. The shipping is going to be the problem.

There's an airport near Atuona, and there are the infrequent supply ships.

I'm sorry this happened, and good on you for making a usable jury rig. Best of luck getting it all solved.

Ann

Hi again Tauanea, I noticed this had been posted in the Tech Support thread. Unfortunately, that is CF's site tech support, so I have moved this thread to the Monohull forum, where some of the members will at least be familiar with your type of boat.
Old 19-07-2019, 15:04   #5

I wonder if one has been salvaged from a wreck and is on island or nearby? Obviously it wouldnt fit proper, but wonder if you couldn't sail with it to a less remote place for a proper replacement. I guess that's a pretty long shot. You may have to get fuel and play motorboat to a more populated area.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 15:37   #6

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Mast Replacement in Autona, Marquesas Is., French Polynesia

One contact on Nuka Hiva that might be able to help is
Home
Old 19-07-2019, 23:18   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Taxanes, send me a pm w yr email addr. My cousin ( has a Colombia 50) got stuck in the Marquesas bec of engine prblms. Still not resolved so he has been there about 2 yrs now. Knows a lot of the marine engineering guys, import procedures, etc. Might be able to help.
Old 20-07-2019, 00:52   #8

Boat: Herreshoff 36

There was a sunken boat in Takaroa last year this time, with a mast might be suitable for you. Try to contact Fernando.
I feel your pain, just lost a mast myself. However, enjoy Hiva Oa, there could be no better place to break down.
I send my regards to all of my friends who I left there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1563608711693.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	196259  
ahun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 00:54   #9

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

While you’re here can I just say good on you for managing such a significant journey under a jury rig.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 09:23   #10

Boat: Boatless

More details on your boat?

You have less than 1k miles to Papeete. How’s your mechanical systems and range? Can top off in the Tuamotos and keep pressing on. Consider her a trawler for the time being?

Beautiful part of the Pacific, Shame to spend the rest of this season dealing with ordering, shipping, customs and waiting only to still be missing that “one part.”

Well done under jury rig.
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 10:03   #11

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Tauanea,

CF member chouli has spent a number of seasons in the Societies and may be able to offer some practical assistance. .
We spent a year in the Marquesas. Now 4 1/2 years in FP

I agree with earlier comments that getting to Papeete is your best bet. What is your fuel range. You can get diesel in a number of the atolls so you could atoll hop across the Tuamotus. I can give which atoll has diesel if you are interested. None have duty free.

Trying to get anything done in the Marquesas will be very time consuming and difficult.

There are two regular supply ships that service the Marquesas one about every 2-3 weeks. The Taporo and the Arenui (supply and passenger ship).
You may be able to get a mast shipped in but will you have everything you need? I probably wouldn't remember every little bit. Again get to Papeete

Vincent at the Autona yard might be able to advise you along with Kevin at Nuka Hiva Yacht Services (he is a Yank and very responsive and helpful)

There are a few rigging shops in Papeete some good and some not so good. Mat Rigging is the best. See Tahiticruisersguide for contact info.

Chris on the Colombia 50 who has been in the Marquesas for many years trying to fix his boat may have another suggestion.

Another thought is to contact Mathew at Pakakota Yacht Services in Fakarava. Mathew is a boat builder, sailor, owns a business helping yachties, speaks excellent English and is very helpful to visiting yachties

pakokotayachtservices@gmail.com
www.pakokotayachtservices.com
(689) 87 799 526 / 87 747 118

Calling is MUCH better than emailing as most businesses in FP (except for Kevin) are very slow to respond if not at all.

If you have to have things imported we can recommend using Gondrand as an agent in Papeete. Again see the Tahiticruisersguide for detail info.

Again sounds like I am beating a dead horse but getting to Tahiti is your best bet.

Good Luck

Chuck
Jacaranda
Mo'orea
Old 20-07-2019, 12:21   #12
Marine Service Provider

There is a good yard at Raiatea. May have a mast that will work.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 16:41   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

You might consider building a timber mast of whatever height timber you could find... a sorta better jury rig... and using that plus your engine to work your way to PPt. Should mostly be well off the wind and not too stressful to a jury rig.

It has been many years since we last made that passage but my memories of them were that they were pretty benign (which, of course, means nothing now!).

Good luck (from one who also has been dismasted, but much closer to a spar maker)

Jim
Old 20-07-2019, 23:56   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Chuck,
You mention Chris w a Colombia 50. That's my cousin. Comms seem very challenging so i usually make contact w him on his cell, after which he will try and make a connection to download his emails. I think yr info should be most useful to Tuanea. If he wants it i can give him Chris' cell number. His boat is called "Sagacious". Not sure which island he is on at the moment. Not sure that he is in such a hurry to get everything fixed since he loves the place!
Andrew
Old 21-07-2019, 08:23   #15

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
Chuck,
You mention Chris w a Colombia 50. That's my cousin. Comms seem very challenging so i usually make contact w him on his cell, after which he will try and make a connection to download his emails. I think yr info should be most useful to Tuanea. If he wants it i can give him Chris' cell number. His boat is called "Sagacious". Not sure which island he is on at the moment. Not sure that he is in such a hurry to get everything fixed since he loves the place!
Andrew
Hey Andrew

Yes comms is VERY difficult in the Marquesas especially with really bad internet. Recently ranked 177th out of 207 of countries with Internet. Slowly getting better since the government pulled fiber optic cables to many of the islands but the infrastructure is not set up to handle it

Cell phone service works just about everywhere. Months ago I spoke to Chris on the radio and he was in Nuka Hiva. We knew Sagacious from San Diego Yacht Club where Chris purchased her.

Next time you speak with Chris tell him Jacaranda said hello.

Maybe PM Tuanea Chris's number if he responds

Chuck

Tags
enc, French Polynesia, mast, men