Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2022, 13:18   #1

Mix and match boat/rig.

I have found a Hunter 27-2 for sale with trailer.

Not much info other than no rig for parts.

Only one pic which shows what seems to be an intact boat with scuffs typical of a nearly 30 year old boat.

Obviously, buying a new rig makes zero sense. But what about finding a used rig from a similar boat? I have found a complete rig from a Catalina 25 which has almost exactly the same sail area, although the 25's rig is shorter and fatter. Much longer boom with sheets on transom rather than coachtop as with the H27-2.

I really like the Hnter's interior layout where they pretty much said screw the V berth and tucked the head along the port side, giving a nice roomy salon and a large athwartship rear double berth.

I also like having a trailer which would allow me to save on storage fees. I can put it in the yard for my very own off season man cave!!!!

Another advantage to the shorter rig is it would allow me access to a cheap mooring which is cheap due to limited vertical draft into the cove.

Not sure this would get me in as bridge is about 36 ft, but it would be close and I could install a beefy tabernacle and do a slight forward mast stepping, maybe 10-15 degrees to get by.

My concerns are that this sail plan might result in horrible weather/lee helm. I am just looking for very casual coastal cruising. Won't be entering any races anytime soon.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 13:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Mix and match boat/rig.

Standard advice to a first time boat buyer: Buy something ready to sail, not a project. This is a project. The reasons for that advice are several, First, it will end up costing a lot more than you realized, because there are bunches of problems to be solved and work to be done that you have not yet discovered. Second, like unto it, is that you will spend your sailing time working on the boat, and beginners need to sail. In all, project boats are nearly always holes to drop money and Saturdays into.

If you like the Hunter 27, go find one that is rigged and ready to go. Come back and tell the rest of usabout your adventures.
Old 13-04-2022, 14:29   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

+1 to theithlu's advice.

Perhaps too, look for a trailer sailor a little smaller. At 16-21 feet they're way more manageable and can be towed by a smaller vehicle. You can park them easily too, without taking too much room. Sailing is simpler, especially single handed. But the big one is you can easily launch and retrieve. Even in a bit of a blow you'll be able to manage by yourself. Getting the rig up and down on a bigger boat is also more difficult.

Other advantages that a trailer sailor have over keel boats:
- no anti foul
- no lift fees
- no mooring fees
- park where convenient, perhaps free at home
- you can sail on lakes
But best if all you can tow the boat wherever you want without concern for weather.
Old 13-04-2022, 16:33   #4

You guys are right. Actually, I already have exactly what you are talking about, an Ensenada 20 sitting in my yard. Bought it last year. The boat could use a little interior love, but the rig is all there, sails seem serviceable. Would have dropped it in the lake last year but the trailer still needs some attention.

I just been watching these addictive sailboat channels on youtube and have used the recent doubling of gas prices as a rationale that trailer sailing doesn't make economic sense.

So what if I have a sailable, if a bit small lake right in my town.

Time to put these pipe dreams on hold and get on the water....in what I already own!!!!

Maybe a few years down the road, after I get a few hundred miles under the keel of the E20, I can reexamine getting a "real sailboat".
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 17:39   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Time to put these pipe dreams on hold and get on the water....in what I already own!!!!

Maybe a few years down the road, after I get a few hundred miles under the keel of the E20, I can reexamine getting a "real sailboat".
I nominate this post and thought for the "newbie quick learner of the year" award!!

Good thinking, Pete, and have some fun sailing and learning.

Jim
Old 14-04-2022, 04:48   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Bravo, Pete!

Hang onto the dream - it will be useful soon. In the meantime, sail the !@#$ out of your first boat.
Old 14-04-2022, 07:13   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I nominate this post and thought for the "newbie quick learner of the year" award!!

I'll second it!
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 12:36   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah I agree, but back to your original idea, I think you can mix and match rigs, BUT it is not just the sail area to consider, but similar shape, or aspect ratio, of the sail so that the center of effort works out the same so that the boat will not have too much/too little weather helm. As an example I was considering a Catalina 27 mast for my boat (if and when I need a new one). The height is about the same for the main's luff, and then I would use a sail designed for my boat on it. A main that is too long in the foot will most likely deliver more weather helm.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 13:44   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Hunters has always made nice boats. If you like Hunters find a whole one. A trailer sailboat is not that easy and hard on rig parts.
Rigs are designed for the hull. A new rig may cost you more than the boat trailer
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat