Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2009, 05:39   #61

While there's a lot to recommend multi-hulls, I've always thot that they we're for me offshore. They are at least as stable upside down as right side up. I want to know that, should I be knocked down, I'll come back up. Right side up.
Old 27-05-2009, 06:31   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Coming back upright is very important if you are going to get knocked down all the time I suppose.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 06:52   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Wine and beer are both good.
Indeed they are. And sometimes wine is exceptional in a situation where beer is crap and vice versa. And sometimes something else is the ONLY thing one may want. Like a Mount Gay and tonic, after a good day of sailing in the sun and working up a bit of a sweat getting the anchor set and the boat put away for the evening.

If one is fortunate, they can have wine, beer, Mount Gay & tonic all at hand and ready for what the occasion requires. This is not an unreasonable thing to plan for, and if it were only possible for everyday sailors to have the right boat for all occasions, we'd all be very happy.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 07:15   #64
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
On the other hand, you don't have to worry about rusting keelbolts on a multihull.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 13:11   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelbolts View Post
While there's a lot to recommend multi-hulls, I've always thot that they we're for me offshore. They are at least as stable upside down as right side up. I want to know that, should I be knocked down, I'll come back up. Right side up.
Are you better off with your boat right side up, but on the bottom, or with your boat upside down, but still floating? As s/v Elusive has shown, a monohull can sink without being knocked down.
slap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 13:25   #66

I don't know that there is a "better off". People die when boats sink or capsize. People are rescued when boats sink or capsize.

Like anything in life, luck plays a part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post
Are you better off with your boat right side up, but on the bottom, or with your boat upside down, but still floating? As s/v Elusive has shown, a monohull can sink without being knocked down.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 04:54   #67

I meant it when I said there are a number of positives with multihulls. I don't plan on getting knocked down, but it happens. I once took 70 knots on the beam on the Chesapeake Bay! I like the room, the shallow draft, and the speed of a good multihull. Multihull racing is about the only kind of sailboat racing that makes sense to me. I've seen video of people skiing behind a cat, but the America's Cup folks will spend millions of dollars to get a boat moving along at a speed a 12 year old can do on a bicycle.