Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2023, 15:30   #1

Boat: Contessa 32
Monohull transport options

I have located a 28' boat on the southeast coast of Florida and I'm checking options for transporting it to the Houston, TX area (Clear Lake). The boat is a full keel that drafts 3.5' and 9' wide.

My other option is to sail it through Florida on the inland canal and then Ft. Myers to Galveston. The boat is somewhat of a unknown and I'm a little reluctant to go that option without spending some time with the boat.

Are there transporters that can handle this?

Thanks,
Tom
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 16:44   #2

Re: Monohull transport options

This is an easy transport project. Really easy. Do a google search for boat transport, and solicit bids. You'll most likely do best with tranport companies who have a home base near one end of the trip or the other.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 18:30   #3

Boat: Contessa 32

Thanks, I'll do that. My last boat was a Cape Dory 25D that I transported in a cradle (built for the boat) on a flatbed goose neck trailer from Lake Superior to Galveston Bay. Quite a trip especially driving through Kansas City at rush hour.

This boat doesn't come with a cradle and don't own a trailer for it so I'll either sail or have someone deliver it.

I appreciate the suggestion!!

Tom
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 17:21   #4

I I've been trying to secure transport of a Pearson 27 from Boston to Rochester NY and have had zero luck with u ship. What worked was finding a shipper right where the boat was. Another option obviously is to find a shipper where the boat is going.
If you need a hydraulic trailer then you'll have few options. After finding someone to move my boat I still have to wait 3 weeks before they can move it. It's going to cost me $2500 for 400 mile move, plus probably $250 for them to secure and load the mast, $300 at where is going to step the mast, plus launch cost. I'll be in about $3500 after tax and everything else for a 400 mile move. Just fyi. They're transporting it the week after July 4th. Good luck with your move!
Supercat568 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull