Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2016, 12:47   #1

Moody 346 for ocean crossings

We are looking to sail from the Mediterranean to Australia. We are tossing up between two specific boats, one is a Moody 346 and the other a Moody 376, both in excellent condition and at a good price for the current market.

We really like both boats, but the moody 376 is a stretch of our budget. The moody 346 fits our budget perfectly, but we feel that it may be a bit small for crossing oceans.

Can anyone share an experience of the Moody 346 crossing oceans?
Can anyone share experiences of crossing oceans in any 34 footer?

Thoughts would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 13:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Moody 346 for ocean crossings

W to E Atlantic in an Oceanis 321 and later a 331.. even seen 30-35ftrs crossing the S Pacific.. any bigger really only necessary if you want to sail with crew..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 13:37   #3

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Re: Moody 346 for ocean crossings

Quote:
Originally Posted by malf View Post
Can anyone share an experience of the Moody 346 crossing oceans?
Can anyone share experiences of crossing oceans in any 34 footer?
(1) experience trumps theory, ya gotta try various boat and sizes to see what works for you, you'll learn a lot after a week charter on a boat - even it's it's not the exact boat. Or hire a professional captain for a couple days and get the sellers to give you a supervised trial. Small $ vs a mistake.

(2) up till the 90's most cruisers were on 30 something foot boats. Read the book Sensible Cruising, it's from 1990, but timeless wisdom on not going to big. It's worth the $10.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 15:56   #4

Moody's are well built boats but they are getting older so have a real good inspection done. Assuming it's been well maintained it would make an excellent choice for a 34 foot offshore boat. As another poster mentioned it wasn't that long ago that your average offshore cruisers were using 30 foot boats. We are voyaging in a Moody 425 so I'm a bit bias but I have been very impressed with the quality of workmanship used in building these boats. Good luck in your search.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 06:30   #5

Thanks all for the recommendations! We have put an offer on a 376, fingers crossed!
malf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 07:36   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

The 376, from the 1980's, is built like a brick outhouse (just try to find another 37-footer with through-bolted bulkheads, for example), but without being too heavy.

Rather cramped and gloomy below compared to more modern boats.

Somewhat limited tankage for transoceanic work.

Quite inexpensive for what it is -- you should be able to find a good one for well under $100,000. That's a lot of boat for the money.

Probably a very good choice, for that purpose, if you can't go bigger.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 07:52   #7

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Our last boat was a Moody 346 - very solid and comfortable down below. We never undertook anything as ambitious as you, but we cruised Biscay and the Western Approaches in it and never felt the least threatened by bad weather.

The centre cockpit helps, of course - especially in a following sea. It's also quite a moderate rig; not so good for light airs in the Med but better for the more challenging conditions you're likely to face.

Good luck with the purchase!

GORDON KNIGHT
Old 17-02-2016, 07:54   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Both 346 and 376 are very good boats. Well designed, sail well and are up to the job. I know one 376 close up and personal. I would buy one for me and my crew if we needed and could afford one.

Mind the normal survey items - ANY particular boat, even an Oyster, HR or a Hoek can have issues - get a well maintained boat that has not been knocked about.

Also - mind the keel config - I believe I have seen more than one option on some mid range Moodies.

376 is the better boat for open water sailing and if the price gap is manageable (haggle, man, haggle!!!!) then I would very much lean my bias towards one.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 08:35   #9

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Moody Owners have an association that you should join after your purchase. Lots of valuable technical information. However, they do allow non-owners interested in purchases to query the owners about weaknesses or things to have your survey.

Moody pre-purchase questions | Moody Owners Information Exchange

Ask any questions, and you will get some invaluable assistance.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 08:44   #10

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
W to E Atlantic in an Oceanis 321 and later a 331.. even seen 30-35ftrs crossing the S Pacific.. any bigger really only necessary if you want to sail with crew..

It is a remarkable transition/perception in the last 20 years that serious ocean passages can only be made with a big boat. If you look at the list of circumnavigators and long distance sailors in the 60's, 70's and 80's, most sailed small boats and many were of wood construction. They relied on traditional navigation skills with simple and efficient boat systems and limited space for rations. Their success rates were equal to those sailing on much bigger boats today. Just recently, Matt Rutherford sailed single-handed around the Americas in a 27 foot Albin Vega. How was this possible? There are many New Age sailors who believe a bigger boat will override any personal sailing/experiential deficiencies. I believe it is just the opposite. The larger the boat, the greater are the dynamic forces required for its safety and operation. Is setting a downwind pole by a husband and wife team in sloppy conditions on a 50' sloop easier than a boat of 34 feet? Is a Moody 346 a boat capable of crossing oceans? Only if the captain and crew are capable sailors. Good luck and safe sailing.

Tags
ocean crossing