Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2020, 16:42   #16

Boat: Moody 425
Re: Moody 38 CC fair price?

I have a Moody 425 based in Qld. I am currently changing insurance and had it surveyed and valued a couple of weeks ago when she was on the hard. The survey came back all good with nothing to rectify and the value came in at $110k AUD. The insurance company is saying they do not accept the valuation which I find astounding so I think the price asking for the boat you are looking at is way too high. The Moody's are a great boat and I have sailed mine over 10,000nm and have always felt completely safe and secure. All the best.
Blue Reef Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 22:41   #17

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Moodys generally are very good boats, but that particular design of 38 was exceptional
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 23:47   #18

Boat: Saltram 31

Negotiate hard. Could be worth hiring a proffessional to do it for you.
One tip, if the Autohelm needs upgrading go up two levels,
When mine was specced new. The Raymarine guy said the standard was OK for normal coastal, for offshore go up one, go up two and it would handle anything you meet.
So it was upgraded two and worked faultlessly for over 20 years in all conditions.
malcolmlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:44   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Reef Cafe View Post
I have a Moody 425 based in Qld. I am currently changing insurance and had it surveyed and valued a couple of weeks ago when she was on the hard. The survey came back all good with nothing to rectify and the value came in at $110k AUD. The insurance company is saying they do not accept the valuation which I find astounding so I think the price asking for the boat you are looking at is way too high. The Moody's are a great boat and I have sailed mine over 10,000nm and have always felt completely safe and secure. All the best.

The M425 is a lovely boat -- basically a scaled up M376. All of these boats have the immensely strong structures, high grade of rigging and deck hardware, and other qualities which have always characterized Moodys. But the M425 and M376 are from a generation previous to the M38. Starting in the early 90's, Moody woke up to competition from Oyster, and started to upgrade the quality, particularly interior fitout. Corian counters in galley and heads vs. laminate, for example. But also sailing qualities -- the later generation Moodys have higher aspect bulb keels, rather than long fin keels, and are faster. They also have more modern machinery including Perkins or Volvo engines vs. the old Thorneycrofts in the M425 and M376.

So the M38 is from this upgraded generation and is considerably more expensive than the older boats, up to double the price. Whether it's worth it or not is a different question -- the M376 and M425 are great boats for very reasonable money. Like all Moodys, you will break long before any of these boats will, so you can sail with confidence just about anywhere. The structures are basically of Swan quality with fully tabbed and through-bolted bulkheads, huge chainplates, massive scantlings. Moody went bankrupt in the 2000's exactly because all this costs money, but high end boat buyers are motivated by other features and are not really willing to pay for it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
price