Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2020, 20:19   #1

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Moody 38 CC fair price?

G'day all Sailers
We own a Catalina 320 at the moment but keep looking at this 38 ft Moody in Pittwater Australia https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...cockpit/247036
I would love to know if the price being asked is a fair price for this boat, I have no idea what they are worth. Also if anybody here owns or has owned a Moody from around this vintage please let us know what you think.
As soon as we can travel to Sydney without Quarantine on the way back to Brisbane We are going to check it out.
Thanks for your time and stay safe in those strange times
Cheers
Reiner and Sam
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 20:52   #2

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: Moody 38 CC fair price?

These Moodys are a totally different class than Catalina (which is a boat I really like). Well built for long offshore cruising and way more convenient and safe in high seas. This one looks very well maintained and equipped and center cockpit has a lot of advantages in cruising.

Not sure about the prices in Australia but it sounds on the high side (US$127,000) if you compare it to similar boats asking prices in Europe - around US$95-97,000.
Old 06-10-2020, 21:16   #3

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42

I spent 2 weeks on exactly the same moody, same year that was in near perfect conditioner the age of the boat . The fella paid $60000 US in Antigua 3 years ago. $179000 AUS for this boat it's more than double what those boats are going for. Good luck with your boat shopping
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 00:45   #4

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryk View Post
I spent 2 weeks on exactly the same moody, same year that was in near perfect conditioner the age of the boat . The fella paid $60000 US in Antigua 3 years ago. $179000 AUS for this boat it's more than double what those boats are going for. Good luck with your boat shopping
Here in Australia we pay a lot more for boats than the rest of the world but I think this one is expensive even for our inflated market
It’s been listen for some time
Tanks for replying to my post
Cheers
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:51   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

That's a lovely boat, from a good era of Moody history -- the '90's. Very well laid out -- probably best accomodation plan I know of any boat that size, with a surprisingly spacious aft master cabin. I have an acquaintance who has one of those. Looks a bit like a mass produced white boat from the outside (what they call over here an "AWB") but the interior is something completely different -- just gorgeous, and ingeniously laid out.

I have an acquaintance with one of those, and spent some happy time on board. He participated in the Fastnet with it some years ago, and did quite well in his class.

Prices in Europe for good examples range from maybe €80k to €128k (see https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...cockpit/247036) so I'm not sure the price of this one is completely ridiculous. You can negotiate, you know. I would consider U.S. $100k to be a real bargain for one in really good condition, myself.

But be really careful to avoid examples which LOOK to be well maintained, but which have not had major systems replaced in time. Very common situation. You can get into big money, fast, making the acquisition uneconomical, if you fail to take into account timed-out or worn-out systems on a boat which is 25 years old.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:45   #6

Boat: Saltram 31

I owned one for 15 years, covering in excess of 15000 nautical miles, including crossing the Atlantic.
A wonderful sea boat , we experienced a force 11 storm in the Western Approaches to the English Channel, 60+ miles offshore, with wind speed of + 55 knots gusting above 62.
We hove to for 18 hours, went below and made tea and bacon sandwiches. The boat was tougher than the crew.
The price is very high, a good one can be bought in the UK for around £85,000.
Google the "Moody Owners Association" for loads of information, and to get a feel for prices of 38s in good condition.
You will never regret owning one.
malcolmlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:32   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmlj View Post
. . .
The price is very high, a good one can be bought in the UK for around £85,000.. .

Note that £85 000 is $154 000 Australian, only $25k less than the asking price of this one. And the UK is one of the cheapest places in the world to buy a yacht these days because of the relative weakness of sterling.

In my opinion, that one is priced within negotiating distance of a fair price PROVIDED the boat surveys well and doesn't have a lot of worn-out or timed-out systems.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 07-10-2020, 10:48   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

I have seen one here listed at 80k.

I think M376 are easier to find at a good price. In EU they come at 40-60k.

b
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:03   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I have seen one here listed at 80k.

I think M376 are easier to find at a good price. In EU they come at 40-60k.

b

M376 is a totally different boat, different generation. Built in the late 80's and quite outdated compared to the M38. The M38 is more expensive because it's worth it.
Walt Whitman
Old 07-10-2020, 12:05   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiner View Post
Here in Australia we pay a lot more for boats than the rest of the world but I think this one is expensive even for our inflated market
It’s been listen for some time
Tanks for replying to my post
Cheers
I think the answer to your question is NO it's not a fair price. While there's no question regarding the quality of Moody boats, this one seems to priced well above market, which why it's been on the market so long. A 25 year old boat will probably need a lot of updating which I don't see in the description. Make the guy a reasonable offer based on successful survey with an eye towards the refitting cost. if he's still firm on his price, don't waste any more time on it - this pandemic will end at some point and you can look in some cheaper places like the PI. Right now, you really can't go anywhere anyway.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:24   #11

Boat: Moody 38cc 11.71m

Hi Joe, I owe a 1991 Moody 38cc. Really happy with Sea Dreamer. I brought her in 2017 for £52000 but needed to spend another £6000 to make her seaworthy. Now living aboard and happy with a good sailing boat, not fast, but can handles well in heavy weather. SD is slab reefing, had new sails in 2016 and engine in 2015 also has a generator engine. Hope that helps. maybe worth looking at: www.moodowners.org which has a Australian section.
SeaHippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:30   #12

Boat: 1998 Moody 40

We bought a 1998 Moody 40 CC in 2010 for about $90k. This one is smaller and older, with nothing added that I can see to warrant the asking price. Here's a 1998 Moody 40 CC for 75% of the price: https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/bo...-sale/1725064/.
SkipMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 13:00   #13

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Truly fabulous boat layout, I remember going on one the first time it was at the Southampton Boat Show and very very nearly put down the deposit.

Truly ridiculous price. Back then they were asking approximately A$210k for it new.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 14:14   #14

Boat: Grainger Spoonbay 38ft Trimaran

Have you compared this one for $129,000?

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...r-cabin/245187
Old 07-10-2020, 14:33   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
M376 is a totally different boat, different generation. Built in the late 80's and quite outdated compared to the M38. The M38 is more expensive because it's worth it.

Well, whether it is 'worth it' or not may kinda depend on how much more expensive it is, eh?

The figures I quoted were like 50k vs 80k. You say 4 inches longer waterline, from the same boatyard and one generation newer is worth an extra 30k?

Perhaps.

376 is a VERY good boat. If 38 is even better sure every sailor would love to have the better boat. Me too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price