Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2010, 01:45   #1

Boat: Discovery 50
Moody 49

Hi, I am new to this forum - it seems to be an excellent source of information and viewpoints.

Can anyone give me any information / views on pro's and cons of the Moody 49 ? This bluewater cruiser was built in the UK between 2004 and 2007 I believe and I understand was the last model that Moody produced before being taken over. As far as I am aware only 8 vessels of this model were built and I am really struggling to find out much information about them. One is for sale that I may be interested in.

Many thanks
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 14:44   #2

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah
In their last few years Moody seemed to be trying to compete directly with Oyster, and upped their prices to match, which may well have been their downfall. Can me biased as an Oyster owner myself, but unless its a steal, I would look at the real thing.
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 15:18   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
The Moody 49 is a beautiful boat. Expensive. I have a Moody 54, from the pen of the same great designer, Bill Dixon. The 49 is an evolution on the same basic idea, with a lot of improvements. There's one which lives in Poole Harbour marina which I admire every time I'm over there.

I can tell you my 54 has extremely good sailing qualities (I'm not sure that I've ever been passed by anyone in the racing-boat infested Solent, and I passed three racing boats myself last weekend on a long upwind leg, much to their consternation), is very comfortable, and very thoughtfully designed. Did I mention she has good sailing qualities? I crossed the Channel recently with an average speed of over 9 knots, a pace for over 200 miles a day, without breaking a sweat.

I bought mine on the rebound after almost buying an Oyster. The Oysters have some advantages -- for one thing, the salon is higher with bigger windows, which is really nice (the front salon windows even open). The Oysters have more elegant lines and of course a better pedigree. But despite what my surveyor told me ("Moody joinery is not up to Oyster standards) I haven't really been able to find any other disadvantages. The joinery is absolutey lovely. Moodys are a little better better rigged, model for model -- I have a three-spreader mast with 8 cockpit winches. And they go like stink, which is really important to me. I think you won't regret it.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 16:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The Moody 49 is a beautiful boat. Expensive. I have a Moody 54, from the pen of the same great designer, Bill Dixon. The 49 is an evolution on the same basic idea, with a lot of improvements. There's one which lives in Poole Harbour marina which I admire every time I'm over there.

I can tell you my 54 has extremely good sailing qualities (I'm not sure that I've ever been passed by anyone in the racing-boat infested Solent, and I passed three racing boats myself last weekend on a long upwind leg, much to their consternation), is very comfortable, and very thoughtfully designed. Did I mention she has good sailing qualities? I crossed the Channel recently with an average speed of over 9 knots, a pace for over 200 miles a day, without breaking a sweat.

I bought mine on the rebound after almost buying an Oyster. The Oysters have some advantages -- for one thing, the salon is higher with bigger windows, which is really nice (the front salon windows even open). The Oysters have more elegant lines and of course a better pedigree. But despite what my surveyor told me ("Moody joinery is not up to Oyster standards) I haven't really been able to find any other disadvantages. The joinery is absolutey lovely. Moodys are a little better better rigged, model for model -- I have a three-spreader mast with 8 cockpit winches. And they go like stink, which is really important to me. I think you won't regret it.
Thanks for the input Dockhead - do you have any view on the suitability fas a boat for the Med ?

I understand Moody pushed the newbuild prices quite high just before they went under was that reflected in the quality of the gear they were putting into the boats ?
Old 27-11-2010, 06:20   #5

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah
Its not so much the gear as what its bolted to. Solid hand laid grp hull vs cored hull; marine ply deck vs balsa or foam deck; heavy vs light displacement. Before you decide you should take up a few cabin soles and see whats underneath.

In the Med its likely you will spend lots of time in light airs and motoring; in between mistrales, tramontanas, and boras, or the meltemi. Either boat will do just fine, as will plenty of less expensive French boats, but theres no comparison when it comes to residuals or after sales support.

Dockheads obviously very pleased with his Moody and so am I with my Oyster. So there you have it.
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 07:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriyah View Post
Its not so much the gear as what its bolted to. Solid hand laid grp hull vs cored hull; marine ply deck vs balsa or foam deck; heavy vs light displacement. Before you decide you should take up a few cabin soles and see whats underneath.

In the Med its likely you will spend lots of time in light airs and motoring; in between mistrales, tramontanas, and boras, or the meltemi. Either boat will do just fine, as will plenty of less expensive French boats, but theres no comparison when it comes to residuals or after sales support.

Dockheads obviously very pleased with his Moody and so am I with my Oyster. So there you have it.
Thanks ! When you talk about 'after sales support' are you referring specifically to Oyster - I thought Moody had gone bust some time ago so assume their after sales is now non-existent ?
Old 27-11-2010, 10:11   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I like all of the 46 / 49 / 56 / 64 Moody yachts as well as the Oysters, but smile when anyone attempts to classify any of them as 'performance' craft. That they certainly are not.

But comfortable, quality, good looking boats - they certainly are. Which is why I applaud you reviewing the 49. If you wish to chat to an existing owner send me a pm and I'll relay your email to a mate who is currently cruising the Med on his.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 27-11-2010, 11:17   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
Thanks for the input Dockhead - do you have any view on the suitability fas a boat for the Med ?

I understand Moody pushed the newbuild prices quite high just before they went under was that reflected in the quality of the gear they were putting into the boats ?
The gear is more or less the same as what is in the Oysters.

The main difference is the hull construction, solid laid for Oyster and cored for Moody. Moodys have an elaborate hull with Kevlar outer skin forward of the keel, and are cored all the way down to the keel with individually encapsulated balsa blocks. The cored hull has some big advantages -- much stiffer for the same weight, better sound and heat insulation. The disadvantages are higher cost than solid, and -- hypothetically, at least -- is water getting in through a breach in the outer skin and rotting the balsa.

The other difference is aesthetic -- an important thing in an expensive purchase made anyway for emotional, rather than practical reasons. There's nothing like a Holman & Pye Oyster; the 485 is the most beautiful floating object I've ever seen. I would surely have bought one had I been able to find one in decent condition. But the Moody has been entirely satisfactory as an alternative.
Old 27-11-2010, 12:00   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
I like all of the 46 / 49 / 56 / 64 Moody yachts as well as the Oysters, but smile when anyone attempts to classify any of them as 'performance' craft. That they certainly are not.

But comfortable, quality, good looking boats - they certainly are. Which is why I applaud you reviewing the 49. If you wish to chat to an existing owner send me a pm and I'll relay your email to a mate who is currently cruising the Med on his.

Cheers
JOHN
Oysters and Moodys are cruisers, not racers, but they among cruising boats they acquit themselves very well. Look at the Antigua Race Week results, or especially, the 2002 ARC where the prototype Moody 64 in cruising trim made fourth overall ahead of most of the racing fleet. That's not really racing, of corse, but "performance" for a cruiser is pretty well expressed by passage times across long distances like that.
Old 27-11-2010, 12:11   #10

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
I've been researching buying a sail boat for some time and whenever I speak to someone with experience, they will ALWAYS mention Moody. Such a shame this marque has gone now because they seem to have one of the best reputations out there. If the price is right, go for it but the later ones were overpriced so, especialy in this 'buyers market', don't pay over the odds.
simonmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 14:45   #11

Quote:
How funny! Its the one in Poole Harbour that I am looking at
Seems the owner cant find the time to get out in it.
Old 27-11-2010, 14:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post

Cheers
JOHN
Thanks

Sent you a message which hope you received ?
Old 28-11-2010, 09:48   #13

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
Thanks

Sent you a message which hope you received ?
Yup - have relayed it onward.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 28-11-2010, 09:59   #14

Quote:
Oysters and Moodys are cruisers, not racers, but they among cruising boats they acquit themselves very well. Look at the Antigua Race Week results, or especially, the 2002 ARC where the prototype Moody 64 in cruising trim made fourth overall ahead of most of the racing fleet. That's not really racing, of corse, but "performance" for a cruiser is pretty well expressed by passage times across long distances like that.
A 64 foot long anything will move out with the right conditions, and I cannot argue that it is usually the longer boats that go faster than the shorter ones..........but

I've just been checking positions in the current ARC cruiser fleet and quite by chance noted lots of lower cost cruisers (including a Bav 47) ahead of at least one larger Moody. And they have been sailing for a few days now.

So in this instance do we say 'the Bavaria 47 goes like stink and is a fast cruiser' and equally what do we call the Moody tagging along behind her?

Moodys are nice boats. But not fast by anyones standards.

Cheers
JOHN