Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2012, 18:11   #1

Boat: 1979 Gulfstar 50 Ketch
More Boats Like ...

I am looking at my first large boat purchase. I plan to sail her in the Pamlico and work up to some east coast, Bahamas sailing. I have a few boats in mind that I like, but I wonder what else is out there ? I have a family and I am thinking 37-44 foot range. One of the first boats I looked at was a Morgan OI 416. Pitures looked good but in person I was disappointed. exposed chain plates on the hull, no exterior wood work, not my bag of tea. Good layout though. Currently I am eye balling pearson 424's. I love the exterior wood work, rub rail, trim etc, and I have recently discovered CSY 44's, I like the vintage look of these, almost like a Formosa, and they are well built. Like the Pearson I want something with a decent reputation. I am not going to be circumnavigating but I do not want something that was poorly built either.

Considering the type of boats I like, are there other that I should consider ? I like some decent exterior work, aft cabin, either center cockpit or a layout like the 424, do not really want anything with a quarter berth or such. Budget wise I am looking in the 60-70k range, does not have to be sail away ready. I am pretty hand and can do most maintenance work myself. Basically, what are the best values for the dollar currently ?
sunblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 18:33   #2

Re: More boats like ...

It's a buyer's market out there.
Pearson is a quality boat, as is CSY, but each has very different features.
You really need to go into this from another tack.
A list of your wants; a center cockpit, 2 heads, ketch rig, etc.
A list of your needs; a good fast boat or lots of room or shallow draft, etc.
And finally A list of what you will settle for; a great sailing boat, a great galley (are you or your honey a chef?), big bed, lots of storage, etc.
EVERY BOAT IS A COMPROMISE and especially if it's your first one, you probably don't really know what is right for you at this point.
But I think the most important thing you should remember is that you can't see your boat while you are sailing her; DO NOT BUY A BOAT JUST BECAUSE YOU LIKE HER LOOKS.
If you have the time, watch the market for awhile on yachtworld.com while YOU research the manufacturers and their models and owner reviews of boats you like.
If not, find an honest broker, yes, there are a few out there.
Good Luck.
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 18:45   #3

Re: More boats like ...

Thats mostly what I have been doing, on and off for years now.

I am after room I think more than anything, performance is not very high on my list.

I am not very picky but I expect you are right, I will learn more as I go, I just want to be sure I check out all the right boats in my price range to find the best deal.
Old 30-08-2012, 19:09   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: More Boats Like ...

if you enjoy the way a boat handles and love the way she looks and her bits are easy to fix--and the boat instills passion--then buy . if not--keep looking.

it aint like ye can just sell her if ye get the wrong one anymore......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 21:06   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

How many people as regular crew? Any kids?
Sailing experience?
Any opposition to centerboards?

My off the cuff ideas would be
SHANNON 38 KTH CB sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
SHANNON 38 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
PEARSON 40 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
MORGAN 36 O/I KETCH sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
MORGAN 36 O/I sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
MORGAN 41 O/I sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
TARTAN 37-1 CB sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
PACIFIC SEACRAFT 37 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

All of these boats are shallow draft except the standard models which were included to show cabin layout.

The only ones that come to mind with an aft cabin would be the Morgan OutIsland boats.

You want traditional looks you aren't going to get the aft cabin. If you are looking for lots of wood that will increase your maintenance load, teak decks especially.

My best recommendation is the Pearson 40: centerboard for shallow draft, Pearson reputation, lots of room below, lots of sail area for decent speed, flush deck so LOTS of deck space.

Second best would be the Pacific Seacraft 37, shallow draft version.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:15   #6
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunblock View Post
I am looking at my first large boat purchase. I plan to sail her in the Pamlico and work up to some east coast, Bahamas sailing. I have a few boats in mind that I like, but I wonder what else is out there ? I have a family and I am thinking 37-44 foot range. One of the first boats I looked at was a Morgan OI 416. Pitures looked good but in person I was disappointed. exposed chain plates on the hull, no exterior wood work, not my bag of tea. Good layout though. Currently I am eye balling pearson 424's. I love the exterior wood work, rub rail, trim etc, and I have recently discovered CSY 44's, I like the vintage look of these, almost like a Formosa, and they are well built. Like the Pearson I want something with a decent reputation. I am not going to be circumnavigating but I do not want something that was poorly built either.

Considering the type of boats I like, are there other that I should consider ? I like some decent exterior work, aft cabin, either center cockpit or a layout like the 424, do not really want anything with a quarter berth or such. Budget wise I am looking in the 60-70k range, does not have to be sail away ready. I am pretty hand and can do most maintenance work myself. Basically, what are the best values for the dollar currently ?
Considering the fact that it is a buyers market Capta is right when saying you need to list your wants and needs so you can limit the field. Quality should be your guiding principal but good looks never hurt. Remember, you will see her more at dock or anchor then anywhere else.

Adelie put forth some good choices. If performance is a factor in your choice the Morgan O/I 41 is one to stay away from. Discussions with the delivery captain I bought my boat from cautioned me that this is one the worst sailing boats on the market.

Before you buy read reviews and owner reports and by all means have it surveyed.

Good luck and choose wisely....

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:50   #7

Thanks guys, I am leaning more and more towards a Pearson 424, love the unique layout, and the exterior and interior wood work
Old 02-09-2012, 10:06   #8

The CSY is probably the strongest fiberglass boat I've ever seen. Too heavy for me though. The Pearson's are good old boats. Keep in mind you should be looking for something shallow draft!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The CSY is probably the strongest fiberglass boat I've ever seen. Too heavy for me though. The Pearson's are good old boats. Keep in mind you should be looking for something shallow draft!
how shallow is shallow ? the 424's are about 5 feet, which seems good but again idk, the plan is to eventually make it down to the islands.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:38   #10

well, I guess the shallower the better for Pamlico and the Bahamas! but 5 ft is fine.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 16:21   #11

Cool deal, certainly do not want to run aground.

Now I am looking at Cheoy Lee Offshore's. Pretty boats, I love all the wood work. I hear they are pretty solid, but often prone to leaks at the deck joint.
Old 02-09-2012, 16:44   #12

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I'd recommend starting a bit smaller until you know more about boats and what you want. A mid 30-something boat will cost less, be easier to handle at first, and will be a good learning platform. Plenty of people start out big, but just for example I spent a couple of years recently on our 38-foot center cockpit motorsailor with my family of four. We had enough room to be comfy, carry everything we wanted, and we got places just about as fast as anyone else. Before that we lived aboard and cruised all over the place on a 32-foot cat. You don't need 40+ feet to do what you want to do. For the Pamlico you want a boat with shallow draft and good sailing in light airs, along with low maintenance (the summers will eat up exterior woodwork).
Old 02-09-2012, 17:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I'd recommend starting a bit smaller until you know more about boats and what you want. A mid 30-something boat will cost less, be easier to handle at first, and will be a good learning platform. Plenty of people start out big, but just for example I spent a couple of years recently on our 38-foot center cockpit motorsailor with my family of four. We had enough room to be comfy, carry everything we wanted, and we got places just about as fast as anyone else. Before that we lived aboard and cruised all over the place on a 32-foot cat. You don't need 40+ feet to do what you want to do. For the Pamlico you want a boat with shallow draft and good sailing in light airs, along with low maintenance (the summers will eat up exterior woodwork).
I keep hearing that, I know I need an aft stateroom to keep the wife happy though, plus I do not want to have to sell a smaller boat in a couple years just to get what I needed originally. The market is so low now I figure its time to take advantage. It will be a family of four and a big dog, plus I would like to take friends out and such as well on weekend trips to the outer banks.
Old 02-09-2012, 17:12   #14

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I think the problem is that you are looking at a lot of different types of boats, indicating you are not locked in on exactly what you want. Nothing wrong with that--I have done the same myself many times. But, you may very well find that the boat that appeals to you now is not exactly what you want after trying it out for several years. It is cheaper to experiment with smaller boats. I personally don't see the sailboat market getting any better for a long time--too many boats, too many ageing sailors leaving, and too few new buyers. However, from what you have said so far, I don't think you can go wrong with the Pearson 424. I'd also take a look around for a Peterson 44.
Old 02-09-2012, 17:29   #15

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
What is it that your partner likes about the aft stateroom?