Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2022, 14:41   #1

More Sailboat Advice

Good Day Folks,

First of all I must say I enjoy browsing this website, and there is a wealth of information here and I am sure I have not found it all yet.

Second of All I have read about different boat options, but they do not JIVE at all with what is available in my area.

So without further Ado I shall pose the question.

Myself, my wife and our son are looking for our starter Boat. We would like something that is Safe and Stable above all (We can take extra time to get somewhere....as long as we get there). It should be something that is under 25' (As the crane at the local marina can only support 7000lbs max)...Trailerable but does not need to be Trailer Launchable.

We would appreciate something with a private head (Not a porta potty in a bunk), a galley and some sort of cold storage so we can spend a few days on board. Initially this boat will be a Bay boat, then a Coastal Cruiser to explore all the great inlets and bays around Newfoundland Canada...But eventually we would like to get a little more adventurous and leave Newfoundland to Sail to Nova Scotia and down the coast.

We would like to keep our first boat a little on the lower side of the budget, so under 10K (USD), but could budge a bit on size and budget as long as it can be moved via private trailer and truck.

I have asked around the local Marina and not many are willing to talk or suggest, according to the Marina owner 95% of the Sailboats there never left the slip. I messaged the Sailing club in St. John's (Roughly 8 hours away by car), said they would only be willing to help IF I purchased at least an annual Membership to their club.

Boats available in my area are stuff like a.

Paceship Northwind 29 (Not to keen on the hull styling as the Owner says she heels ALOT before stiffening, and they want 16,000$(Cad), No trailer)

1980 Niagara 35 (Bigger then we want, Heavier then we can get lifted into the water here, Needs Cosmetic work and cleanup, No trailer, and 35,000$)

Halman 27 (Not sure about weight and if we could get it in the water, No Trailer, little to no information when I try to contact the owner and 16,500$)

Tanzer 22 (3000$, Trailerable (though no Trailer), Can get lifted into water local, No Head, No real Galley)

Cataline 27 ( 7000$, Trailer and Cradle included, though I am not sure if we could get it lifted in the water, Not sure of how she sails but seems reasonably equipped with a good suite of electronics, but not to sure of a head)

C&C 27 (17000$, Not sure if it can be trailered...and not sure of weight, owner states that it has a leak (But unsure of where))

Anyways this is alot of what is available local...I was thinking stuff like a Hunter, or a Pacific Flicker or Dana, or a Cape Dory...but I cannot find it local (AT ALL).

That being said I can travel almost anywhere in North America for the right boat and the right price...

Kind Regards,
Todd
Furaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 16:39   #2

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: More Sailboat Advice

Welcome to CF Todd.

Worry about the boat not it's facilities. Adding a toilet and a little galley to a small boat are reasonably simple projects. Refrigeration is a little more tricky, but for myself I just use a chilly bin.

Sounds like a trailer sailor in the 18-23 foot size with an outboard would be a good place to start. Once you'd mastered the sailing and you and your family know that this is something you all enjoy doing then look at some sort of keel boat.

The guy at the marina that said 95% of the sailing boats never leave the slip wasn't joking. I've observed that to be a truism at every marina I've ever visited. Perhaps people thought sailing would be awesome but they subsequently changed their minds or their circumstances changed. Sailing requires a significant dedication of time, especially in cold climes where you have to grab any decent sailing weather days.

Just to offer advantages of a trailer sailer:
- don't need anti foul (about $1k annually, including lifts in/out)
- maybe store at home, but if not marinas charge much less for a parking space than a slip.
- you can tow the boat behind a car (trucking boats about isn't cheap).
- can take the boat to the engineer/boat builder/mechanic whoever (I pay $130 ph and much of the time is the engineer rowing out to/back from my boat to shore).
- more generally maintenance is so so much easier on the hard.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:09   #3

Thanks for the response....the closest shop to get stuff fixxed is an 8hr ferry ride to Nova Scotia.

Trailer sailers are not out of the running...but the missus demands a private head.

As I said I am flexible and appreciate all advice and opinions Original post listed everything within about 10hrs travel of me

I am open to traveling further so please suggest away
Old 04-10-2022, 06:17   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I keep my boat in Lewisporte. You might want to venture up our way to see what's available. I'm not there right now (hauled for winter, now back in Canada), but if you come back in the spring there's a wide variety of boats to look at. If you're friendly, it's easy to get boat tours of those at the dock.

With your LOA limit you are going to be hard-pressed to find one that meets all your demands. A private head on a sub-25' boat is going to be hard to find, and galley space is going to be small. Perhaps a Bayfield 25? There used to be a couple up our way... not sure if there are any now.

Others that come to mind are:
  • Mirage 26/27
  • Northern 25 or 29
  • Grampian 26, maybe 30
  • Albin Vega 27
Old 04-10-2022, 06:47   #5

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm not there right now (hauled for winter, now back in Canada), [/LIST]
"now back in Canada" ? slip or deliberate Mike?
Old 04-10-2022, 09:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
"now back in Canada" ? slip or deliberate Mike?

Just pickin' it up from my Newfoundlander friends.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:23   #7

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Yes, I used to be married to a Newfoundland Woman.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:16   #8

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
Ha! I thought that was just a Haida Gwaii expression…

Catalina 27 has a head, at least the two I’ve been on, and is a great starter boat. They can really get around.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 10:16   #9

Lewisporte...nice. I am in Corner Brook just a few hours away.... I venture down to our Marina regularly but seldom run into Sailors...but as I said the Local owner claims that 95% of the SAILBOATS do not go out...

When I venture away from home I usually try to nose around to spot a boat or two...or just something new.

I will look into the suggestions thus far
Old 04-10-2022, 11:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furaites View Post
Lewisporte...nice. I am in Corner Brook just a few hours away.... I venture down to our Marina regularly but seldom run into Sailors...but as I said the Local owner claims that 95% of the SAILBOATS do not go out...

When I venture away from home I usually try to nose around to spot a boat or two...or just something new.

I will look into the suggestions thus far
Hmmmm, I was based out of Corner Brook for a few years (2017-2019). It's a pretty small yacht club, and there are definitely more powerboats than sail. I think it has gotten even more so since I left.

You should come over the Lewisporte. There are waaay more sailboats here. Maybe in the spring...
Old 04-10-2022, 12:10   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 34

I second the recommendation for the Catalina 27. Ive sailed on a few and theyre spacious, sail well/easily, and should have the comforts the wife desires. Check them out!
poopship is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, boat, sail, sailboat