Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 16:00   #1

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster
Morgan 321

I am considering a Morgan 321 for liveaboard and singlehanded cruising from Florida to the Bahamas and possibly the Caribbean. My concern is the very wide beam of 11' 5" on a 25' LWL. That results in a LWL to Beam of 2.17 and a capsize ratio of 2.07. However, all of the reviews I have found by prior and current owners are positive, even offshore. I really like the boat because of the room but, of course therein lies the problem. Harbour queen?? I have several years of racing experience and coastal crusing but no offshore experience.

The present owner has lived aboard for 11 years but has rarely taken the boat out. That brings up another concern: no use is sometimes worse the heavy use. I will of course have a survey before buying.

I am also looking at a Tartan 34, a Pearson 35, and a CSY 33. All have varying degrees of refit. The Tartan and the P35 are sparsely detailed compared to the Morgan. The CSY maybe the winner but I'm still looking.

I have all the data on all the above boats. My question is: how can a boat (the Morgan) have such bad numbers that are not reflected in owner reviews. Any Morgan 32 owners want to coment?
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 16:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Morgan 321

Never owned or sailed one but have had a snoop around and they look okay to me...
If your after a cruiser... how far you looking to go....?
Bahamas/Carib... same as anyone else... lol

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 16:39   #3

Re: Morgan 321

You're right, Bahamas/Carib. If I survive that, the South Seas! I really like where I live, Saint Petersburg, Fl. But, I will be looking for new adventures. I really like the looks of the Morgan also, just concerned about the spread in the middle.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:47   #4

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderluster View Post
I am considering a Morgan 321 for liveaboard and singlehanded cruising from Florida to the Bahamas and possibly the Caribbean. My concern is the very wide beam of 11' 5" on a 25' LWL. That results in a LWL to Beam of 2.17 and a capsize ratio of 2.07.
A capsize ratio of over 2 is considered "blue water" worthy, that aside that doesn't mean a 2.0 rating makes a blue water boat.

Morgans were built for that area of the world so you can't really go wrong with one for there. Morgans also have a good rep for being a fairly solid brand as a sturdy coastal cruiser.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:07   #5

Boat: Hunter 430

I owned a Morgan 321 for a few years, in South Florida. Lots of space for a 32 footer, was very stable in rolly seas (got chased back from the Bahamas by a Tropical Storm one time....she performed great). I would not (and did not) hesitate to take this boat offshore. Very stable.

My only complaint about the boat was that she was slow. Had lots of sail area, but I had to reef quite early (definitely by 15 knots of wind). She was equipped with a Yanmar 19hp, which was workhorse....loved that engine.

As with any vessel, there are tradeoffs. Shoal draft....I was able to anchor in wonderful anchorages where no one else could get into. Of course, the negatives associated with such a shallow draft were apparent in this boat.

Check the mast step, as they can be a problem area on these models (mine was fine, however). I wouldn't worry too much about it being a "Slip Queen", since at least he lived aboard, assuming the inspection came back clean.

As far as your decision, I do like those Tartan 34's......is the Morgan much better equipped? If so, what equipment is catching your eye?
hogfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:47   #6

Thanks for the replies.

hogfighter, It is good to hear from someone who has been on a Morgan 321. Compared to the Tartan she isn't equiped any better but she is finished much better inside for a liveaboard.

I am now looking at a CSY 33. Lots more boat but, of course, more $$$. I may still end up with the Morgan.

Thanks,

David
Old 21-09-2011, 22:59   #7

Boat: Moody 34
W-
You are looking at the same boats as I am.
We both have the same goals.
I have also looked and sailed on the Island Packet 27 and the Island Packet 32.
I am also looking at boats in the 37 - 42 foot range, such as a Pearson.
I also like the Morgan.
Keep looking, you will find the right boat for you and I am determined to buy mine in the next 4-6 months.
Would love to hear what you finally decide on!
advocate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 03:28   #8

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE

For what it is worth: I really like my 82 321. She is solid, but slow. With the sails balance she holds course with only a occasional tweak of the helm. Motoring, she is a pain to maneuver in tight quarters. To me she seems slow to accelerate / decelerate and the prop walk in reverse is horrible. The 20 hp Yanmar burns about 1/2 gal. / hr @ 2000 rpm.

A couple of issues I am having to deal with are the way the anchor locker is drained and the waste holding system - soon to be replacing the bladder with a proper holding tank.
Good luck on finding the right boat.
Duke
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 06:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate777 View Post
W-
You are looking at the same boats as I am.
We both have the same goals.
I have also looked and sailed on the Island Packet 27 and the Island Packet 32.
I am also looking at boats in the 37 - 42 foot range, such as a Pearson.
I also like the Morgan.
Keep looking, you will find the right boat for you and I am determined to buy mine in the next 4-6 months.
Would love to hear what you finally decide on!
I purchased a CSY33 this week. The 321 would have been my choice if the deal didn't workout on the CSY. I would probably have gone with a Morgan 381-384 if I had a bigger budget. I believe I will be very happy with my compromise

Best of luck finding your boat.

Tags
morgan