Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2011, 15:22   #1

Boat: 33ft sloop
Morgan 454

A gentleman from Germany who is interested in our residence in France asks me if I am interested to take over his Morgan 454 as part of the payment.

The boat is too big for me as a singlehander but I' ve been looking at several Morgans of that type on Yachtworld and they are not looking disappointing. The design is from Nelson/Marek. No bad pedigree also.
But: how are they rated in the waters of their origin? The only US made productionboat brand I know is Catalina and they do quite well over here. Het claims that the boat is build in Florida and definitely not in Taiwan or HK.

What I would like to know before I tackle this proposal seriously is how the boat is rated. Please your valuated opinion. The engine is French build Nanni/Mitsubishi. But that' s not so important.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 16:42   #2

Boat: Cooper 416
pirate Re: Morgan 454

Well besides being a two boat owner.Why would you trade a deperciating item for an apreciating one. I don't know the value of your house but another hole in the water? The morgan is a big beamy boat and would be comfortable in the Med.But how much is it going to take to keep it up and what is the trade in value $700.00 a ft? If you can justify it your mind then who cares what we think.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 16:42   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Morgan 454

I have a fiend who has one probably for 20 years or so.I,have sailed with him seem's to be an ok sailboat,good cockpit and below decks was also good,He repowered and also replaced the fuel tanks leaking.Don't recall an major problems with the boat.He still sails it.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 17:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
Well besides being a two boat owner.Why would you trade a deperciating item for an apreciating one. I don't know the value of your house but another hole in the water? The morgan is a big beamy boat and would be comfortable in the Med.But how much is it going to take to keep it up and what is the trade in value $700.00 a ft? If you can justify it your mind then who cares what we think.
1) I do not fancy a boat of that size, but there are a few thoughts. The house had before the bankfraudcrisis a value of 300.000,- Euro. That has been reduced till 250K-260K. Nobody is using this former residence of my late father except me and my brother sometimes.
2) My mother, who still lives, wants to die here, in Holland. She is 90 and almost blind. We have two residences, one in Holland which is quite big with lots of woods around. I have to upkeep 2 houses plus surrounding terrain. We have to pay taxes and since my father's death the taxes are shifted to me. And I am not getting any younger.

I want to get rid of at least one house and would like to buy a studio for myself on the Atlantic coast, or the Med, whatever becomes practical.
A good quality boat can alway been sold or I rent it out.
But you might be right, it might be no good idea after all.
Old 29-12-2011, 18:57   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

there's an older thread here on CF about the 454 (I think I started it), try the search function
Old 29-12-2011, 19:21   #6

Based on what I have been reading I leave the subject for what it is.

The German wanted to close the gap between the bank' s offer for a mortgage and his own share of payment.
Thanks for the tips.

Tags
morgan