Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2016, 08:35   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Most Circumnavigations

If it was a particular model of a manufacturer and knowing the amount of Westsail 32's built and the craze in the 70's and 80's, I would say the W32. I doubt Benehuntalinas have, since the keels and rudders don't last that long...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 08:45   #17

Westsail and Tayana 37 probably due to hull numbers and how long owners and subsequent owners have had opportunity to complete the feat. But number going forward will be relatively few compared to newer builds.

Jenneau/benneteau are out there in far greater numbers but so many models it's diluted. Types like HR or oyster benefits from few models and long production runs, but the numbers aren't there.

A lot of cats out there too and with organised events and access to organization I don't think older boats with higher hull numbers will stay on top for very long.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 12:25   #18

Boat: Comet 41s

Pretty sure that it was Bavaria, Beneteau or Jeanneau. Just a question of boat numbers.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 12:51   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

This might give a good indicator. It's from Latitude 38. A list of circumnavigation.
Latitude 38 - West Coast Circumnavigators' List
Quite a mix.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 23:12   #20

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
How many circumnavigations have been done by people who never talked about it? Just went out and quietly did it, and then resumed their lives (or maybe just continued their lives, as, by that time, it had become a part of their lives). Probably a bunch. At the very least, a fair percentage of the total.

Hence, I don't think there is any way to come up with a meaningful answer to this question. Any answer is going to be nothing more than a complete guess. Pick any reasonable model, say that is the one, and you are about as likely to be right as to be wrong.
Yeah, who knows, I probably should have inserted the word, "Documented" I don't know how many people circumnavigate without anybody knowing about it, not many I think, what is the purpose of compiling these list's, maybe for people like me that would be interested, I also don't know what criteria is used before these people are included on these list's, I guess it would depend on who is compiling the list, the only reason I started this thread was that I wanted to see, as accurately as possible, which boats had circumnavigated the most, that's all, my first sailboat was a Allied Seawind 30, Alan Eddy solo circumnavigated on his, can't remember, started out in 65 or 66 I think, it was the first fiberglass sailboat to do so, but that's not why I bought that boat, I bought it because it's a good boat, I also didn't buy my W32 because it has circumnavigated, I bought it because it's a good boat and I've always wanted a double ender, without teak decks, I don't know if I'll try for a circumnavigation, I just hope I can do what I have planned, WA State to Mexico to the SP, then, hopefully, to my home base in Thailand, I'd like to take about 4 years to get there, Alan said that the most important thing a long distance voyager needs "is the will to do it" I like that,
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 01:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
I have met several, 6-8, circumnavigatos that were of the personality, that it was done with no fanfare. One was on his third. He was from Rhodesia, (Remember that country). That was all in the days of no blogs, tweets, etc. they certainly were not on record anywhere.
My marine pro buddy is about to start his 3rd. No books, no fanfare, no fuss. How many like him are out there? Oh and the boat for the first two? A semi-custom early 80s fiberglass sheathed wooden 38 footer.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 01:40   #22

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Probably NOT S&S 34, but a bloody good track record just the same.
Jon Sanders did a double non-stop in one lots of years ago.
Then he did a triple non-stop in a what....??? Cavalier 37 ??
Jon Sanders sailed twice around the world in "Perie Banou", an SS34.

His triple circum-navigation was in a 47 footer designed by WA man (?naval architect) Phil Curran, a yacht called "Parry Endeavour".
I sailed a sisterhip of this, a fairly fast cruiser!
See link here: About Jon Sanders' Triple Circumnavigation of the World

Jon Sanders' own blog here:
Jon Sanders 10th Circumnavigation - Why be ordinary when I can be original!
Old 17-12-2016, 01:58   #23

Boat: no boat any more

"...No books, no fanfare, no fuss..."
I am very firmly of the opinion that one can only RETURN from a circumnavigation, never SET OUT on one....(which in our age of selfpromotion & -aggrandizement & chest-beating is totally outmoded modesty)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 02:01   #24

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Most do it without fuss although many have a 'blog' ( whatever that may be ) these days.

One place where you will get an idea of the variety of boats out there is the PPJ site Pacific Puddle Jump Fleet 2017
Very unscientific as quite a few of them may not do a circumnav and many boats cross that aren't signed up with PPJ.

Maybe they have an archive.

Ping,
22 years into a voyage that may or may not end up being a circumnavigation.
Old 17-12-2016, 02:29   #25

Boat: no boat any more

...to drag you out of your somewhat "americano-centristic" worldview:
here
https://www.trans-ocean.org/positionen
are positions of the "kraut-ssca" boats...
there'd be many germanophone boats out there that are not members, not to speak of all the francophone boats (the french being more "club-averse" do not have comparable "associations" afaik)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 02:40   #26

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...to drag you out of your somewhat "americano-centristic" worldview:
here
https://www.trans-ocean.org/positionen
are positions of the "kraut-ssca" boats...
there'd be many germanophone boats out there that are not members, not to speak of all the francophone boats (the french being more "club-averse" do not have comparable "associations" afaik)
Me? Golly......I need to do an image appraisal...

Surely you mean ' norte-americano-centristico' ( In Chile if someone says 'I'm an american' the common response is 'So am I.....'

You make a good point however... while we think of assorted 'Cruising Nets' on HF such as the Pacific Seafarers most are blind to the fact that there are plenty of 'non-anglo' nets out there.... even a spanish language one.... which shouldn't really come as a big surprise.
Old 17-12-2016, 03:58   #27

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Most do it without fuss although many have a 'blog' ( whatever that may be ) these days.
The ones we know are the ones that have a blog but that does not mean that they are the bigger number. The ones I have meet had not a blog at all and have been some. I remember on a Paris boat show being friendly discussing with a French guy, that was going to buy a Jeanneau 54DS, with furling mast and battens to do a circumnavigation.

I did not saw the boat as particularly appropriated (if one has the money for a new boat) for doing it. Then I discovered the guy had already made 3 circumnavigations, at least some on an OVNI that he said to me it had opened easily on a rock like a can of sardines (difficult to forget that). He was feed up with slow boats and wanted something faster. I was curious about the result. I learned that he had sold the boat three months after buying it.

No blog, no nothing. Never had heard about the guy and never heard any more about him after that.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 04:52   #28

Btw the boat my friend will be making his 3rd circumnavigation on was an early 80s donated former racer a few feet short of 50'. The price about 10-12 years ago was well under $10K and she needed new engine, sails, etc. In the meantime he did a lot of refitting inside and out. The boat did not need anything as far as hull and structure but being a bare racer was not really set up for anything other than racing. But of course he's is a marine pro with many decades of experience in most areas of boat maintenance and repair. But all of this was done on a shoe string budget using mostly used parts or exchanging the racing gear for cruising type. Surprisingly the installed engine was brand new and obtained for 1/3 of it's marine MSRP from some tractor dealership which got stuck with it for reasons I now forget. It just needed marinization.

My point being that one can circumnavigate in all kinds of boats and on all kinds of budgets. So it would be really tough IMO to come up with a "typical" boat or a type of a sailor doing it.

Oh yeah and according to my friend his 1st circumnavigation started out on a lark to "just see what's over the horizon" and ended up some years later as a true circumnavigation. The second one apparently was purposefully started. And the 3rd one is only planned but not really with any firm routes, dates or anything. Sort of "go with the flow and see what happens" attitude.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:26   #29

Boat: LeComte NE 38

That is an interesting question. I have been trying to find out if any sister ships to my boat (LeComte NE 38' sloop built in Holland - have owned her for 20 years) have made circumnavigations or long distance ocean voyages but so far - have not had any luck getting information on this subject. Hope you get some responses to your question and if I find out anything - will let you know ...
PAlter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation