Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2024, 06:47   #16

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Motion: full keel vs small catamaran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I would suggest finding some keel boats for your wife to practice on. Maybe walk around a boatyard and show her all the keels full of lead! I think once she fully and deeply understands that heeling does not mean imminent danger she may relax and broaden her horizons as far as hulls go. I know I've taken many folks out who really panic as the boat heels. But if they can see that the boat cannot tip over and it is only balancing herself some of them will suddenly smile and say, "oh, this is fun!"

The motion on my long keel oldie is quite comfortable once she is heeled. At that point there is primarily motion on one axis, pitching, and even that is not dramatic. (Although I fully concede many folks get tired of living at a 15 or 20 degree angle) But if you don't understand how monos get their stability, no amount of heel will be acceptable I suspect.
We spent a lot of time in boat yards. Even knowing that she got … upset… any time we got on a keeled boat. She didn’t like the feel even at dock. I was only one that got on the Formosa as she was ready to give up at that point and honestly I almost did at that point. Boat pictures/descriptions were soooo different from the actual boat when we looked at them. We drove and flew to Florida so many times. First time she stepped on the Prout we bought she got the biggest smile on her face!

I’ll try to find some full keel boats in the water this time, or someone with one who will take us out. But can’t do that till next spring as we are locked in a lease right now.
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 07:00   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianopraze View Post
We spent a lot of time in boat yards. Even knowing that she got … upset… any time we got on a keeled boat. She didn’t like the feel even at dock. I was only one that got on the Formosa as she was ready to give up at that point and honestly I almost did at that point. Boat pictures/descriptions were soooo different from the actual boat when we looked at them. We drove and flew to Florida so many times. First time she stepped on the Prout we bought she got the biggest smile on her face!

I’ll try to find some full keel boats in the water this time, or someone with one who will take us out. But can’t do that till next spring as we are locked in a lease right now.
There may be a few full keel sailboats or other sailboats for sale on Kentucky Lake or Pickwick Lake you could go see. Not sure how far away those lakes are from you.

Or you could just go and see the boats for general knowledge and maybe ask about crewing.

I learned sailing when I lived in Memphis, TN and raced beach cats starting in the early 1990's on TVA Lakes in Mississippi and Lakes in Nashville as well as the Gulf Coast.

I also crewed on a Pearson 30 and Beneteau 35 on Pickwick Lake a few times. The lake was about 110 miles away or so. Nice drive though.

As for as boats not looking like they are advertised, that's very common. I refuse to drive more than a couple hours these days to see a boat because they usually look nothing like their AD Photos.

Pickwick Marina in photo.

Kentucky Lake Sailboat Marina.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PW.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	291295  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 07:58   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
There may be a few full keel sailboats or other sailboats for sale on Kentucky Lake or Pickwick Lake you could go see. Not sure how far away those lakes are from you.

Or you could just go and see the boats for general knowledge and maybe ask about crewing.

I learned sailing when I lived in Memphis, TN and raced beach cats starting in the early 1990's on TVA Lakes in Mississippi and Lakes in Nashville as well as the Gulf Coast.

I also crewed on a Pearson 30 and Beneteau 35 on Pickwick Lake a few times. The lake was about 110 miles away or so. Nice drive though.

As for as boats not looking like they are advertised, that's very common. I refuse to drive more than a couple hours these days to see a boat because they usually look nothing like their AD Photos.

Pickwick Marina in photo.

Kentucky Lake Sailboat Marina.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0

5 and 6 hours away just driving per maps. I guess I drive slow as I always take longer than maps suggests.

Ty though.
Old 25-06-2024, 08:27   #19

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Someone once said, "All Sailboats are a Compromise."
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 08:41   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianopraze View Post
Wife fell in love moment she stepped on board our Prout (so we bought it) because she loved the stability. She was always happy with the Prout’s motion except when we encountered slamming.

I fell in love with a Formosa but it was too much of a project so we didn’t buy it. I would think the motion would be better with a 40+ comfort ratio such as Formosa, but don’t see any way to compare/contrast the two.

I’ve only been out on smaller fin keeled monohulls and my Prout (now sold).

Looking for our next boat wondering if any could compare/contrast cat vs full keel 40+ comfort ratio boat - eg Formosa, etc...
How big do you care to go?

Roxy, my previous posts is for sale. 58 feet, 40 tons loaded, center cockpit ketch. Modified full keel and skeg rudder. Fast passage maker and pretty stable. This boat will take you anywhere. This boat does not notice when you step aboard.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3911991
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 08:52   #21

Well, the cat is a jerky motion. It can be tiring on the legs for sure. but no death rolls! And you feel stable not heeling.

An old school monohull wont be jerky, but may hobby horse, may go into big rolls side to side in certain conditions.
I hate death rolls. But everything is compromise.

A modern monohull will have a long waterline, wider aft sections, less round bilges and not yaw and roll so much.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 10:21   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
How big do you care to go?

Roxy, my previous posts is for sale. 58 feet, 40 tons loaded, center cockpit ketch. Modified full keel and skeg rudder. Fast passage maker and pretty stable. This boat will take you anywhere. This boat does not notice when you step aboard.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3911991

She’s gorgeous.

Sadly my modest budget precludes 1 six figure, let alone 3!

35’ was big to me. Not sure I want to go much beyond 40’ maybe 42 for a mono with full keel.
Old 25-06-2024, 10:48   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Well, the cat is a jerky motion. It can be tiring on the legs for sure. but no death rolls! And you feel stable not heeling.

An old school monohull wont be jerky, but may hobby horse, may go into big rolls side to side in certain conditions.
I hate death rolls. But everything is compromise.

A modern monohull will have a long waterline, wider aft sections, less round bilges and not yaw and roll so much.
I’d like to see that Oceanus 390 I linked above. Wondered how those feel. I suggested financing a bare bones Catalina 315 to my wife but it was an instant no. She didn’t like the way any of the Catalina’s felt that we’ve had the pleasure of being on.

That’s why I’m asking about full keels so she won’t feel as much motion. Maybe fruitless exercise but I love those Formosa/leaky teakies with full keels. That Hans Christian at 35k that just sold on here looked perfect to me…

I had her on my list to go see if she hadn’t sold by early next year.
Old 25-06-2024, 10:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron E View Post
Someone once said, "All Sailboats are a Compromise."
I go by "Happy wife, happy life."

Especially as she’s one driving us to get a new boat, she loved it so much.

I’m still in mourning over my Prout I was forced to sell. I wasn’t even thinking of getting a new boat yet.

Everyone dogs how Prouts sail, but for beginner sailer, I loved her. Very forgiving and easy to sail for such a large (to me) boat. I’d only sailed boards and dinghies before. Course I’d driven powered boats since I was 14 and motoring her was easy too.
Old 25-06-2024, 11:15   #25

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

I have a Spencer 42, she is long and lean only having an 11'4" beam. Mine was constructed with an 8000lb ballast keel over the 7k standard, and is a full keel with a cutaway forefoot.

Coming back from Alaska through Queen Charolotte sound last year I found myself in 16' seas coming in off the Pacific, first landing on our starboard bow then quarter.

She rode through it beautifully on other boats I'd have been terrified.

What I find matters the most with how a boat is going to go to weather and how she will ride is the design of her bow, I find that many so called crusiing boats with wide beam to length ratios slam and pound because their bows are made wide with broad shoulders as they prioritized internal volume over comfort at sea.

For some people that is a tradeoff they are willing to make, however personally I would rather have a finer sailing boat than one that is a glorified barge with sails.

To each their own but for me I will take the better sailing boat because often when I have been voyaging with friends who are in a "cruising boat" we are still enjoying hot food on my boat long after massive discomfort has set in for the Cruiser.

On the flip side I do have to be much more careful with my space to keep the boat comfortable, and I am somewhat limited to the gear I can take with me.

I would not trade her though as it means often I am sailing when others are motoring, and in those terrible conditions she has such better manners that the barge bow boats.
Old 25-06-2024, 12:59   #26

My advice is if the wife likes the Cat ..................GET A CAT!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 14:40   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
My advice is if the wife likes the Cat ..................GET A CAT!
Lol.

Easy to find a full keel around 40k, not so much a good well built blue water cat.
Old 25-06-2024, 14:54   #28

Boat: Bristol 27

Btw, you can find nice full keel boats for $2,000 - $10,000.

I paid $2,000 for mine and was sailing it within two weeks after purchase.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0639 (5).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	291305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0646 (4).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	291306  

Name:	B27.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	291307  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 14:58   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Hmmmmmm not quite the same.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	291308  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 15:33   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Btw, you can find nice full keel boats for $2,000 - $10,000.

I paid $2,000 for mine and was sailing it within two weeks after purchase.
Yes, thank you for proving my point.

Need a little larger boat though as I have a teen, a 3 year old, me and my wife. That bumps the full keels I’m looking at up to 20-40k… or more.

Ideal price point 20k. Max I want to spend 75k. As I think insurance gets harder after that point in Florida per another thread.

Can get a Formosa, Hans Christian, cape dory, etc in that range. Ready to cruise.

There is a 40k prout which needs to be priced 10-15k as you probably need to put over 20k to get it ready to cruise.

My Prout was 26k in much better shape - insurance 500/yr. Put 10-20k to get it cruise ready. It was the perfect boat for us.

Tags
catamaran, full keel, keel