Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2011, 08:53   #76

Re: Motor Sailing Dos and Don'ts

You will find it far better to motorsail under the mainsail, for three reasons, you can point MUCH closer, the main doesn't obstruct vision, it Tacks without effort. as far as Hull Flex - If you boat were that weak you won't make it past the second fuel dock anyway. Sheesh
Multitalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 08:57   #77
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multitalent View Post
You will find it far better to motorsail under the mainsail, for three reasons, you can point MUCH closer, the main doesn't obstruct vision, it Tacks without effort. as far as Hull Flex - If you boat were that weak you won't make it past the second fuel dock anyway. Sheesh
A better reason, perhaps, is that the main works as a better stabilizer than the jib.
Old 29-04-2011, 13:35   #78
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rofl...vector diagrams be dashed--lol i know my brick does better in 5 kts of light air when i have mechanical genoa running at 2200 rpms and my jib n jigger up and as full as they can get under the circumstances-- actually made 5 kts instead of the 3 we were showing..LOL....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 15:27   #79

Boat: a sailing boat

DO: Get one of those auto-variable pitch propellers.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 15:29   #80

Boat: a sailing boat

DONOT: use the engine under light load over extended periods.

b
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 23:07   #81

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

I've done the ditch several times in different boats. All that nice theory not withstanding practical experience has me gaining speed with just the main andmotor. I over trim it maybe even past the centerline to keep it full and drawing. I still do the same motoring on the ocean with no wind with the added bonus of stabilization
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 04:25   #82

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

If the leech of the main is above the centerline it is a parachute. Try dropping the boom to center and use a lot of vang to get the twist out of the top of the sail. If that doesn't work drop the sail.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 12:32   #83

Try theory to practice
Old 30-04-2011, 13:16   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
Try theory to practice
If I am motoring with the mainsail only, the telltales are all streaming properly, the main has a nice airfoil shape and the boat speed has increased how is this a parachute?
Old 30-04-2011, 18:10   #85

Boat: Beneteau First 44.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
Im just trying to gather some knowledge and experience from those with it. Motor sailing defined here as using the motor on a sailboat while also using the at least one sail - for faster speed or beter fuel economy, etc.

Im going up the ICW and like to get the genoa out whenever possible. Any tips would be nice to start a conversation about this. If there is already a thread please let me know.

thanks
austin
Back to the original question. When do you motor sail? In my case when the wind drops to between about 5-10 knots. Less than 5 the sails come down. More than 10 the motor goes off unless particular circumstances prevail. In the 5-10 not range consider a a series of wind quadrants and where you are heading. First is going to windward (+/-45 deg from the wind). ie you are going to windward. Drop the sails and motor, its quicker. Second two quadrants +/-45 deg to +/-135 deg. Trim the sails and motor sail. There will be a speed increase or fuel economy gain. Fourth quadrant +135 to -135 deg ie downwind. Drop the sails as they will add nothing and flop around and slat annoyingly. The exception to above is when going to windward in >10 knots but in the confines of a narrow channel. The motor will enable you to pinch up to round channel markers and make tacking much easier as you can motor glide through a nice big arc through head to wind at tighter tacking angles. By pinching you will drop boatspeed considerably but your VMG will be significantly improved.
frant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:30   #86

Boat: 1984 Pearson Triton 27

As we speak our Georgia boatyard is fixing shaft alignment issue instantly diagnosed as HULL FLEXING! When a skilled mechanic actually took a look he discovered one engine mount on MD5B was loose. Will be fixed today.
So much for instant diagnosis. Happy sailing.
Blueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:47   #87

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyes View Post
As we speak our Georgia boatyard is fixing shaft alignment issue instantly diagnosed as HULL FLEXING! When a skilled mechanic actually took a look he discovered one engine mount on MD5B was loose. Will be fixed today.
So much for instant diagnosis. Happy sailing.
One more hull flex data point: My mechanic wouldn't align the motor to the new shaft on the hard due to hull flex. However, he did say that he thought our Niagara 35 was stiff enough (cored hull, pretty strong build) that it would probably be ok, just not worth taking the risk. Note that this is sitting on the keel vs sitting in the water. Probably a lot more shift in the hull than sailing pressures (except maybe a light racing boat with a really strong adjustable backstay).

Standard procedure for them is to let the boat sit in the water for 24 hours before alignment.

Chris
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, sailing