Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 12:32   #31

Re: Motor Sailor or Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
........ and the great majority of sailors make at least 40% or 50% of their miles under power. So what? But what it means is that cruising sailboats should be designed to be good motor boats as well as good sailboats.

Unless they're cat' sailors. Apparently we do at least 100% of our miles under power.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:55   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Unless they're cat' sailors. Apparently we do at least 100% of our miles under power.
A little chip on your shoulder?

Actually one of the important advantages of catamarans is that they make superlative motorboats. Without ballast and with easily driven, fine hulls, they are much more efficient than monos under power. So I guess we could hardly blame you, for never raising your sails, if that's what you do
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 13:02   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Without ballast and with easily driven, fine hulls, they are much more efficient than monos under power.
Under sail too! (If we ever used them...)

Interestingly, after 27,000 miles, our sails are just about knackered, while our little Honda 20 motors are still fine. No idea how that happened...

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 13:11   #34

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
The poster said his boat was pathetic, no me. .
No, the poster did not say their boat was pathetic, the poster said

"...our Gulf 32 has a pathetic sounding SA/D of 11.5 which if we were to believe the numbers alone would mean she never sails... in fact she sails quite well and we're very pleased with her performance"

Which is exactly the point. SA/D is only one metric and as the poster points out their boat sails well. I think our SA/D is around 14 and our boat sails brilliantly. We just need a lot more wind than some boats, but that is what our boat was designed to handle and when things get nasty we get comfortable.

Matt
Old 05-01-2016, 13:41   #35

The moral of the story is that "sails well" in this context is completely subjective. Ours has a SA/D somewhere between 35-40, depending on what numbers you want to use. I like to think it sails well. :-)
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 13:57   #36

Pathetic???

Old Billy Garden was hardly in the habit of turning out "pathetic" designs. He was versatile and sensitive to his clients' desires. Personally I think the Gulf 32 is wonderful for the "Wet Coast" which is what she was designed for - way back in the mid '60's.

Being two feet longer, although with a DWL a foot and half shorter, than TrentePieds, she is even nicer below, having a galley just about 50% bigger! And she is no slouch. My only complaint would be that she is wheel-steered. The trade off is that she has a steering position in the house also. At two and thirty feet, that works. At thirty it doesn't! If you like the Broughtons in the winter, an inside steering position makes a lot of sense!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 13:59   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
No, the poster did not say their boat was pathetic, the poster said

"...our Gulf 32 has a pathetic sounding SA/D of 11.5 which if we were to believe the numbers alone would mean she never sails... in fact she sails quite well and we're very pleased with her performance"

Which is exactly the point. SA/D is only one metric and as the poster points out their boat sails well. I think our SA/D is around 14 and our boat sails brilliantly. We just need a lot more wind than some boats, but that is what our boat was designed to handle and when things get nasty we get comfortable.

Matt
Well, pathetic whatever. SA/D is a fine, but useless statistic for cruising boats. On our old Wetsnail 43 we usually sailed with 600 s.f of sail, but sometimes down to 200 s.f. and sometimes raised that to about 2000 s.f. with two drifters(main and mizzen), tri, three jibs, and a handkerchief. The tub made 7 knots regardless what we flew, regardless of conditions(for the most part), and regardless how sober we were. Otoh, it kept lumbering along in winds of 10 knots to 60 knots comfy like. Anything below 10 knots and it was cocktail hour; above 60 knots we deferred to Poseidon and drifted.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 14:25   #38

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"The poster said his boat was pathetic, no me. Just agreeing with him. And it does look like a frog." Reed1v

Reed,
He said his SA/D was pathetic . . . not his boat. However, I don't understand what a person achieves by denigrating another's boat. It is, by far, one of the most personal and emotional purchases someone makes in their life. By doing so, you are not just attacking the boat but also attacking the person for his lack of judgment, (perhaps) resources and taste. By the way, do you own a boat and if so, what do you own? Why haven't you included this information about yourself as most on this forum have provided?
Old 05-01-2016, 14:31   #39

Daddy always told me, never insult a mans wife or his boat.
Old 05-01-2016, 14:38   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
"The poster said his boat was pathetic, no me. Just agreeing with him. And it does look like a frog." Reed1v

Reed,
He said his SA/D was pathetic . . . not his boat. However, I don't understand what a person achieves by denigrating another's boat. It is, by far, one of the most personal and emotional purchases someone makes in their life. By doing so, you are not just attacking the boat but also attacking the person for his lack of judgment, (perhaps) resources and taste. By the way, do you own a boat and if so, what do you own? Why haven't you included this information about yourself as most on this forum have provided?
He was being humorous about his boat. Guess you have no sense of humor. too bad. You must be a 20 something. Anyways, you obviously do not read all the posts here since i did mention my boat and in lots of other posts our various sailings around the various oceans. Plus you obviously need a remedial education in English since i gave high praise to the Gulf 32, despite it looking like a frog. Although i can understand some folks really dig frogs. Like the French for example.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 14:47   #41

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post

Reed,
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:02   #42

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
He was being humorous about his boat. Guess you have no sense of humor. too bad. You must be a 20 something. Anyways, you obviously do not read all the posts here since i did mention my boat and in lots of other posts our various sailings around the various oceans. Plus you obviously need a remedial education in English since i gave high praise to the Gulf 32, despite it looking like a frog. Although i can understand some folks really dig frogs. Like the French for example.

After the prosecutor has presented the relevant facts and case law to the court, he, invariably, turns towards the judge for a well-repeated phrase:

"Your Honor . . . the State rests it case."
Old 05-01-2016, 16:10   #43

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
The moral of the story is that "sails well" in this context is completely subjective. Ours has a SA/D somewhere between 35-40, depending on what numbers you want to use. I like to think it sails well. :-)
But since it is a multihull you motor all the time anyway so the SA/D doesn't matter.

(Disclaimer: Aussies are known for an ironic sense of humour. Therefore this post is made with an ironic tone. Any offense caused is unintentional and a by-product of my Australian education.)
Old 05-01-2016, 16:12   #44

Good point!
Old 06-01-2016, 05:25   #45

Boat: Nicholson 31 1982

I'm looking at this Roberts 38 with view to possibly making an offer on it.
It's a 1978 build
Solid fiberglass Hull & deck
appointed well with just about all equipment & electronic etc to go cruising
Survey done Nov 2015 says hull in good condition, though some osmosis
present both sides of lower part of keel, should this be of great concern?
Mast needs repainting & SS rigging due to be replaced
I must add I'm a newbie to sailing and concerned it may be too large
for me to handle and singlehand being a beginner, though would be living
aboard and don't want to live on a real small boat, prefer abit of space
Owner is asking $AU65,000 as is,.. 75K with new rigging installed.
Not sure if that's a fair price with it being the age it is. any feedback would be appreciated.
Boxertwinjeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, sail, sailboat