Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2012, 09:21   #16

Location: December 2014 Back in Marmaris Turkey getting Dora Mac ready to put back on the market.
Boat: Diesel Duck 462 M/V Dora Mac
Re: Motorcycle on a Sloop ? Ideas Welcome

We carry a 110 cc Honda we bought new in Malaysia and have put over 7,000 kilometers on it since new in August 2010. It weighs 85 kilos and we hoist it onto our flybridge with a halyard. It lacks power and comfort for a long trip but is ideal for 50 to 100 miles per day. We did a 1,000 mile ten day trip in Turkey and loved it. It gets 100 MPG. I'm aware of the salt spray issue but we cover it up and spray WD40 on it. I would think a Honda Rebel 250 would be ideal if you have room. I think they weigh 174 kilos.
Randal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 09:55   #17

Boat: compac 16

if your worried about size and rust. get Di Blasi of America - FOLDING MOTORCYCLE MOTOR BIKE MINIBIKE MOTORBIKE MOPED COLLAPSABLE MOTORSCOOTER PORTABLE SCOOTER MINI-BIKES MINI BIKE PRIVATE PILOTS BOATS SAILING RECREATION TOURISTS ACCESSORIES TRAVEL AIRPLANES ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION VEHICLE and then get big one Pelican 0500 Transport Case - PelicanCases.com it FITS with room to spare slightly

haha just thought it would be funny
samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 10:30   #18
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Anyone else see that episode of Top Gear? LOL!

Anyone here remember the Brewer designed LRC that has a seaplane and a jeep on the boat deck with davits inbetween that worked for both? Very cool solution. Believe it was in "30 Classic Boats" or some such.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 11:03   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Actually not far off what I am planning .

Got me eyes on the Electric Version of that Di Blasi scooter (with battery removed (a 2 second job) it's an easy one handed lift - even with fitted not exactly heavy).......plan is to store down below in a large (wheeled) backpack.....not quite up to Motorways, but folks can be surprised how much can be fitted on a small bike (and rider!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 12:37   #20

Boat: too many
Thumbs up Re: Motorcycle on a Sloop ? Ideas Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Actually not far off what I am planning .

Got me eyes on the Electric Version of that Di Blasi scooter (with battery removed (a 2 second job) it's an easy one handed lift - even with fitted not exactly heavy).......plan is to store down below in a large (wheeled) backpack.....not quite up to Motorways, but folks can be surprised how much can be fitted on a small bike (and rider!).
For going electric, I'll have to click on your beer fund
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 12:52   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
For going electric, I'll have to click on your beer fund
One day that will be connected to something .
Old 23-02-2012, 07:56   #22

It's a great idea

I have had the same idea (obsession) for over a year now and have been studying ways to do it and having to discount the nah sayers as well.

I want to do the Great Loop with a bike, not cross an ocean, so half of my thing is in rivers and lakes, then there is the ICW. But this is not about my goal....

Bikes: Electric scooters are novel, but in reality very limited compared to a motorcycle. Mine is a 650 cc Transalp, a Honda dual sport that can hit over a hundred and cruise at 70/75 mph longer than you want to ride with two up. I can ride it out of the slop, up hill, off road or hit the highway. It's not a popcorn popper, they are V twins with lots of tourqe. Anyway, it weighs 325 pounds. It could be stripped down (fairing and windshield, rack) to be lighter, but that's really not necessary.

The weight is the same as talking some heavy set guy with you, most any boat taken out cruising wild hold the weight. I have heard NAs say things like it throws off the CG/CB, it a dead load. It can't move like a fat guy can, horsepucky! It needs to be bolted down with clamps over the wheels to a track or fabricated holder, it won't budge. The CG of my bike is about 18" high from ground, not 3 1/2' high, so it really won't throw weight around.....if it were on deck of my 26' cuddy cruiser, centered, I'd hardly notice it I'm sure.

The bracket, that will be additional weight along with what ever you wrap it up in. I thought about the bike carriers as well. Some concerns or issues;

Attaching it to the transom so as to ensure it will not pull out. Going inside I guess with a large backing plate and even taking it to the sides to attach to additional framing members.

How to load and unload, saying a ramp sounds pretty simple but walk through each step from disconnecting the bike from its secured position to putting the kick stand down on shore. After you disconnect it from the cradle now you have to hold it. Are you going to mount the bike while on the carrier? I'm a pretty good rider after 45+ years, but if a large wake hits the boat while i'm trying to ride it off a 6" piece of channel, you could have a problem 4' in the air. And if you bag the bike to protect it, just how do you do that on a rack?

Now, maybe the carrier could swing out like a spare tire carrrier on an SUV, you boat may not be that close to shore so that could get it at least over solid grond.

Taking it off at a marina can be a problem. I can see the owner running out saying stop, you can't ride that on my dock! OK, then walk it off, try pushing it (or riding it) up steps. At some point, most marinas will have steps to get to the parking areas. I can see fences and hand rails along the way too. I know that in Germany you won't be riding a bike along the river walks (never mind the other issues).

So, the best place to load and unload will probably be along shore where you can ride it out. Consider your draft while loaded.

I see that some here have done it and they might address these issues in detail, what resistance there might be from authorities riding on beaches, walkways, ramps, etc. I have never done it, but can only imagine.

I wonder too about a mast and boom holding that bailky weight and swinging it around on a rocking boat, as the boat rocks, the CG changes and the rocking can easily become more pronounced making it even harder to control and adding stress to the boom. I'd be more inclined to go with a specialty boom and a remote winch control in hand.

I'll stop, plenty to discuss. I'm looking at an older Luger Voyager (know nothing about them), a 30 footer with a heavy squared stern that might work. Otherwise, for me it is beginning to look like I need to build a boat for this, a decked scow with a cabin and hold area. It would be a landing craft with an opening bow!

So, what boat do you have, what's the draft? I doubt it would sink or roll with 300+ pounds on it...but who knows until ya do it?
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 00:31   #23

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft

There was a book published back in the early 90s, where a couple took a Honda CX500 with them on a world cruise. He disassembled the bike for storage in the forward cabin. An older bike model with less electronics may be the solution. The backing plates for any frame to carry a bike, with any sort of weight on deck, would want to be fairly substantial to cope with the possible shock loads.
Regards Joe
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:05   #24

Search results :: Hitch Anything
I'm not so sure but you might want to check this link.....
harborcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 18:42   #25

Boat: 35' Piver Lodestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemac4sail View Post
There was a book published back in the early 90s, where a couple took a Honda CX500 with them on a world cruise. He disassembled the bike for storage in the forward cabin. An older bike model with less electronics may be the solution. The backing plates for any frame to carry a bike, with any sort of weight on deck, would want to be fairly substantial to cope with the possible shock loads.
Regards Joe
You are on the right track here. I have had most of two of my Harleys on board while building them and that is where my idea came from.
I am debating on the exact model, but I will be building a bike to take on the boat while cruising.
Over the years I have built more bikes than I can count. In general it is not a big deal to tear a bike down to the bare components or to build it back with basic hand tools. Older simpler bikes are definitely the way to go if you go this route. First for their simplicity to crate and reassemble. Second for their simplicity to repair by yourself. And finally for the ability to repair with what's available.
Crating a bike will allow you to make it air tight. You can also coat everything with oil. A bit messy but brake kleen will clean things up just fine when you get where you are going and uncrate it.
A scooter is a nice idea but small wheels and bad roads are a very bad combination. I had Vespas years ago and rode them through anything, but I will never forget what a 10" wheel feels like when the road suddenly turns to sand.
The registration and insurance issues are my biggest concern.

(By the way, as an alternative, the Honda CT 90/110 would be my first choice. They are compact, light and bullet proof and will run 45mph with a passenger which is fine for day trips and weekends).
Old 07-04-2012, 18:11   #26

Boat: Custom designed wood 69 ft ketch; Moonfire

I put my Honda 500cx on board in San Diego in '98 and I am now in Malaysia and it has been useful to have. I have been surprised at how easy it has been to use as long as it is currently registered at home. I have ridden it in Tahiti,New Zealand,Australia and now in Malaysia.
Corrosion is definitely a problem. I made a stainless exhaust in NZ, but the stands are quite rusty now.I may get them galvanized.
The bike is 474lbs and I crane it off the boat with a crane I made from a spinnaker pole attached to the back of the mizzen with its own winch and wire rope. The bike is loaded by lifting it off the dock and attaching the fitted cover all around it. There are access holes in the cover for the lifting line and the three locations to which turn buckles are attached to anchor the bike to pad eyes on the deck and coaming.
Getting on and off docks has not been a problem, if you ask first you will be surprised how accommodating people can be.
I chose the bike for its shaft drive and water cooling to eliminate chain and cooling fin corrosion. After 14 years there are cosmetic problems but the frame and center and kick stand have suffered the most. Also it is hard to get parts in Malaysia where bikes are mostly in the 100cc range and if you want a bigger bike be prepard to pay 250% duty!
I think riding your bike up a ramp would be hazardous. My boat is nearly 70 ft long and weighs 65 tons so the extra weight is not a problem. Next time I would choose a 250cc bike. Over the years I have spent more on replacement batteries than I spent on buying the bike. Good luck
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 18:53   #27

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

How is insurance handled while in another country,??

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:51   #28

Boat: 35' Piver Lodestar

Riding into Mexico and Canada from the US it was simply a matter of calling my insurance company and obtaining a rider for that trip. I am not sure about other countries but from what I have been told it seems to be the same process.
Old 13-06-2012, 06:52   #29

I appreciate all of the suggestions and comments received. I have bought a Suzuki S40 650cc motorcycle and made everything for carrying it onboard our 48ft sloop. I choose the bike because it had enough power to be able to cruise at highway speeds and be able to handle hills without my wife and I getting off to push. It was light for its power at around 380lbs and has a belt drive which will not be subject to rusting.

We made a stainless steel mounting frame that has been made to hold the bike while it is lying on its side. The SS angle to make the frame cost $30 at the scrap yard. I cut the steel with an angle grinder and had it welded for $140. The mount has rubber pads to protect the paint work and is held in place, on the outside of the bike cover, by a ratchet strap that goes through the cover by way of two small slits (one near the frame in front of the engine and the other near the swing arm).

To load the bike, we first drain the oil, the gas and remove the battery. Then a three-point sling is attached to the bike using the rear axle (one line on each side) and a line around the frame just in front of the gas tank. The bike is lifted by the main halyard, while being steadied by a 2 to 1 line that is attached to a cleat on the dock. The bike-end of the “steady line” splits in two, with one end going to the front forks and the other attaching to the back of the seat. I hold the “steady” line, while my wife lifts the bike off the dock. When it is above the lifeline level she stops the winch and I slowly swing the bike over the deck using one hand on the line and the other hand on the bike. When the bike is standing on deck, aft of the mast and forward of the cockpit, the halyard is removed and a cover is put over it. The frame is then placed onto the bike frame, pinching the cover between the bike and the mount points, and then held in place by the ratchet strap. The bike is then laid on its side and ratchet straps are used to fix the frame to the deck using hard points. The bottom of the cover is closed over the wheels and sealed using a Velcro closure. Taking the bike off the boat is via the same procedure in reverse.

The hoist method works well and as long as we can get to a fuel dock, getting it on and off is a breeze. The waterproof cover keeps major splashes off the bike and any water that runs over the deck goes under the bike. Time will tell as to whether rust will be a major problem, but nothing has happened yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0 - SS Frame.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	42223   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - Ready to lift.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	42224  

Name:	2- Lifting.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	42225   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 - put on cover.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	42226  

Name:	5 - ready for sea.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	42227  
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 08:47   #30
Armchair Bucketeer

Congrats! - I think those are the first pics (and v. nicely done ) of a motorbike actually getting on a boat, notwithstanding a squillion other threads talking about doing so .

Tags
sloop