Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2021, 08:33   #1

Move up from a pocket cruiser?

I sail a Catalina Capri 18. It is a wonderful carefree boat. Is that possible? A carefree boat?
It has a nice little cabin and two substantial bunks for such a small boat. It also has a fixed keel and sails very well.
So why should I consider a local Catalina 27 that's for sale? I know it's going to need work over time with it's systems and electric and plumbing and inboard diesel. Is it worth the move to a bigger boat? Thanks everyone...Dan
one day sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 08:43   #2

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
Re: Move up from a pocket cruiser?

That is a question only you can answer. As you have stated the maintenance will be more, time and money. If you want/need a bigger boat to scratch a boating itch than go for it. You can always bail of the bigger boat and get another trailer sailor. Sounds like you are already aware and keeping in mind that bigger is not "better".

Good Luck in your decision.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 10:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
That is a question only you can answer. As you have stated the maintenance will be more, time and money. If you want/need a bigger boat to scratch a boating itch than go for it. You can always bail of the bigger boat and get another trailer sailor. Sounds like you are already aware and keeping in mind that bigger is not "better".

Good Luck in your decision.

Foster
What a nice reply, thank you Foster!
one day sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 15:47   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

onedaysail:

It IS a big jump. The question is what is driving the urge?

Tired of having to rig the boat every time you sail? How often do you go sailing? [Keeping the boat in a marina, rather than on a trailer in your driveway will be a big expense.]

My Jim went from a 15 ft. O'Day to a Catalina 22, and it seemed huge. After a while, the Cat went to live in a marina, so he could sail on SF bay whenever he wanted. He also trailered it from the Bay Area to Sta. Barbara and to Pt. Townsend, where he crossed the San Juan de Fuca Sts. into Canada. So he got a lot of fun out of that boat, with his at-the-time wife and 2 kids.

The point being, till we know what's driving the urge to a 27 footer, how can we answer the question meaningfully????

Ann
Old 23-08-2021, 16:56   #5

If the plan is to go into open water, make longer passages, then the bigger boat will be more comfortable as your "island". The diesel capable of longer motoring passages.

If your actual sailing trips are not expected to change in scope or distance, the bigger boat will be more work and upkeep. Possibly a bit of a killjoy.
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 03:51   #6

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Hey day sail, so I have actually owned both a Capri 18 and a C27 (TWO C27's actually - yes I'm crazy that way) , and I loved them all. You are right about the 18 being a great little carefree boat. So simple yet robust, sails wonderfully, it's a fantastic pocket cruiser ! I dare say some really adventurous person could sail one across the Atlantic, with a few mods of course. People have done it in much less.

The C27 may seem like a big step, but it makes the most sense if you want to move up. A C22 or similar would not really be any different than the 18, still no standing headroom, no real head either. And putting the rig up and down becomes more difficult and complicated. I remember I could handle the mast on my 18 by myself.

The C27 is a real keelboat. Your sailing will enter a whole new realm. You can go further and faster, and the weather won't be "as much" of a factor. You can go below and stand up !!! Huge difference. And you have a real head, which is just fantastic. And don't forget you have a real galley too, which means you get to eat better, Lol ! And if it matters you can also invite another person or 3 along for day sails.

If you stick with the outboard version - which sails better - it doesn't really get much more complicated. The biggest difference - of course - is the 27 is not trailerable, but I assume you already know and have considered the fact you will need to keep her in a slip.

Feel free to PM me or ask any questions here in the forum.
Old 24-08-2021, 04:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 05:05   #8

Boat: Cal 33-2

If you just want to daysail in local waters, no need to move up. The larger boat opens up the ability to do some more extended cruising in relative comfort. Depends on what you want to do.
Old 24-08-2021, 08:35   #9

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by one day sail View Post
...........So why should I consider a local Catalina 27 that's for sale?...........
Welcome to the forum!!

Only you can make that choice.....3 foot itish? You could buy it, berth it in a marina and trailer your Catalina Capri 18 to other sailing destinations.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 09:29   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

Depends on what you want to do. Do you want to carry more crew or do you want more comfort then yeah a Cat27 would be a good step up. If you want to do overnight passages you could still do that on the Capri. You could probably get away with up to 60hr passages, after that it starts to get kinda rough. If you want to sail off season then the larger boat would probably be better.

Regarding the Cat27 you mentioned as having a diesel. If it’s the earlier model then I’d walk away, the engine space will be very cramped so maintenance may have been spotty and that model was designed with an outboard in mind. If it’s a newer model I have no opinion.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 13:08   #11

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Have you looked at the added cost of staying in a marina, if space is actually available?
Don't assume you will be able to assume the present owner's marina lease or rate.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, pocket cruiser