Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 04:35   #1

Boat: Endurance Faria 44
Moving a Long keel yacht

Hi Guys

I have access to put my 44ft endurance (15t) into a farmers shed down in Cornwall to start work on a refit, this is my best option as with it being mid winter now Falmouth is all booked up. I’ve got access with a lorry and crane to lift it off however will have to lift it off outside, I have access to a tractor but was wondering if any one has any ideas how to get it in the shed? My boats long keel, which is my issue, and I really really don’t want to take the roof off and lift it into it that way As will be such a big operation and will need a larger crane to get the height. Any ideas or things I could hire to achieve this would be much appreciated

Thanks
Cornishkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:59   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Moving a Long keel yacht

Find a transport company with a hydraulic trailer to offload the boat inside the barn and forget about the crane.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hydr...&client=safari
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:19   #3

Boat: Endurance Faria 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Find a transport company with a hydraulic trailer to offload the boat inside the barn and forget about the crane.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hydr...&client=safari
Ahh thank you, I didn’t realise that was a thing will definitely be looking into that, we’ve paid a deposit on one company already so will enquire to whether they have one. Thanks again
Cornishkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:05   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

These guys are in Cornwall and appear to have what you'd need:
https://www.andersonsboattransport.com Take lots of poppets for when they pull the trailer out and leave the boat, and make sure the barn floor is level and not too soft.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:23   #5

If overhead clearance is an issue AND there is a solid concrete floor in the barn we have used these Hilman Rollers - Rollers, Dollies, Skates | Heavy Load Moving to move this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Hiawatha , but you will something to pull it.
notiesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:26   #6

Boat: Coast 30

Try to acquire some old railway track sleepers to set across the floor of the barn/shed floor to spread the load. There was a case here where the yacht keel sank into the earth and the boat movers trailer would not fit under it to get it out. Some of those lanes in Cornwall are very narrow have you checked to confirm that this can be done?
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:58   #7

Boat: Beneteau

Build some wooden cribbing with the front on a bedding shaped like a sled and push it in with the tractor. Guys do it all the time here with some rather large fishing boats. Some probably over a hundred tons. Not difficult at all.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:11   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishkiwi View Post
Hi Guys

I have access to put my 44ft endurance (15t) into a farmers shed down in Cornwall to start work on a refit, this is my best option as with it being mid winter now Falmouth is all booked up. I’ve got access with a lorry and crane to lift it off however will have to lift it off outside, I have access to a tractor but was wondering if any one has any ideas how to get it in the shed? My boats long keel, which is my issue, and I really really don’t want to take the roof off and lift it into it that way As will be such a big operation and will need a larger crane to get the height. Any ideas or things I could hire to achieve this would be much appreciated

Thanks
Build a cradle for the boat with two longitudinal runners the have beveled ends. You can roll the boat and cradle on anything like wooden fence post. On soft ground lay down plywood.

You are going to need a cradle on the lorry any way. I'm guessing what we call a flat bed. If so with ramps to load and unload equipment such as a dozer you can roll it off and into the barn.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, yacht