Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2015, 17:17   #16

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: My apologies

Oil won't be cheap forever. There's a lot more to the story as there always is. However new boats aren't cheap either, they will go up too. If the dealers/builders I've talked to over the last year are any indicator the market is coming back. Several brokers I know who've been living off savings and eating beans for the last 6 years finally made paychecks last year. So give the old guy a bit of a shove. Good luck, hope all works out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 07:22   #17

Boat: Passport 40

I am trying to be patient and persistent without being pushy and a pest. So far it has got him thinking so that is a start. Our ideal boat is a passport vista 545. But it has a hefty price tag and there are no used ones for sale. So I have been suggesting the alternative HC 48T. He doesn't want a used boat and found out they are building them new. At half the price of the passport it is worth looking into.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 08:00   #18

I forget your earlier posts, but IIRC there may have been something about the differences between buying new vs. used. New boats require surveys, many of them come from the factory with loose hose clamps all over! I have no idea why some folks seem to think new is always better. Besides, a budget for a new boat needs to add things that used boats have already, like anchors, chain, rode, windlasses, spare parts, history or accomplishments......

Good luck, one way or another.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 08:04   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't understand the requirement for "new", Most people don't demand a new house and I think a boat is similar.
I'd even go so far as stay that I think a boat only a few years old may if fact be a lot less problematic than a new one, boats have a few systems on them, all purchased not made by the boat manufacturer, there will be some teething problems as boats are sort of hand made and not made in the numbers of other consumer products like automobiles. Higher production numbers means to a great extent fewer "bugs"

Is it possible the new boat is really a delaying tactic? I'm not trying to stir discontent, but maybe something makes him nervous about the boat idea
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 08:19   #20

Boat: Liberty 458

No apologies needed. There are plenty of knowlegeable and insightful people here. Just ignore anyone who gives you a hard time.

It's a big decision so your original idea will likely change quite a bit over time.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 08:32   #21

Boat: csy 37

Money.

Money isn't the only thing you get to spend in your life.
You also get to spend....your life.
And the difference between the two is,
You can always look in your bankbook,
And see how much money you have left.

Wish I had said that, but I didn't. It was sailing author Herb Payson. And he reminds us that you never know how much time you have left on this earth. I also own oil stocks. But I'm not going to cancel my dreams because they're down, or up. I don't know how old you are, but it doesn't really matter. Go live the life you imagine and "you will meet with success unexpected in common hours" (Henry David Thoreau).
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 08:41   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Money.

Money isn't the only thing you get to spend in your life.
You also get to spend....your life.
And the difference between the two is,
You can always look in your bankbook,
And see how much money you have left.

Wish I had said that, but I didn't. It was sailing author Herb Payson. And he reminds us that you never know how much time you have left on this earth. I also own oil stocks. But I'm not going to cancel my dreams because they're down, or up. I don't know how old you are, but it doesn't really matter. Go live the life you imagine and "you will meet with success unexpected in common hours" (Henry David Thoreau).

I am in my 40's, both my parents died in their 50's, I feel like time is short, and have voiced this concern.

Old 27-02-2015, 08:51   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't understand the requirement for "new", Most people don't demand a new house and I think a boat is similar.
I'd even go so far as stay that I think a boat only a few years old may if fact be a lot less problematic than a new one, boats have a few systems on them, all purchased not made by the boat manufacturer, there will be some teething problems as boats are sort of hand made and not made in the numbers of other consumer products like automobiles. Higher production numbers means to a great extent fewer "bugs"

Is it possible the new boat is really a delaying tactic? I'm not trying to stir discontent, but maybe something makes him nervous about the boat idea

I am not against used boats in any way for the reason you quoted. There is a bit of delay tactics going on. He is a company man and struggles to take any time off. He works six days a week. In the beginning it is going to be a lot of me using the boat without him. He wants new because he is figuring on working for two more years before doing something more "flexible". We were quoted 18 months on a build so that is inside his timeline. He is jealous that I have the time to use the boat now so he wants to wait until we both can.

Old 27-02-2015, 09:18   #24

No apology required.... there are a lot of "short fuses" here!

Oh.... sorry guys... I apologize! errrr... wait....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 09:25   #25

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
I am not against used boats in any way for the reason you quoted. There is a bit of delay tactics going on. He is a company man and struggles to take any time off. He works six days a week. In the beginning it is going to be a lot of me using the boat without him. He wants new because he is figuring on working for two more years before doing something more "flexible". We were quoted 18 months on a build so that is inside his timeline. He is jealous that I have the time to use the boat now so he wants to wait until we both can.

Wifey B: I don't think people were offended, but we were and still are having a very difficult time understanding the relationship between you and your husband. That does not mean there's anything wrong with it and if it works for you then that's good. Just the thought of putting presentations on his desk for him to read is totally foreign to most of us as is the negotiation process which is somewhat more like one would negotiate a business contract.

I do hope you get your boat. I still have concerns. Not to offend you I hope, but what is the most time you and your husband have ever spent together? I would suspect with his schedule and what you've described very little. Do you think he can relax and enjoy sailing? How do you think spending long periods locked up in a boat together will be? I've just known a lot of high powered businessmen who really struggled with retirement.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 09:50   #26

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I do hope you get your boat. I still have concerns. Not to offend you I hope, but what is the most time you and your husband have ever spent together? I would suspect with his schedule and what you've described very little. Do you think he can relax and enjoy sailing? How do you think spending long periods locked up in a boat together will be? I've just known a lot of high powered businessmen who really struggled with retirement.
FWIW, the wife and I are never closer than when we are cruising. Even she has remarked that to other people. Back home we have semi-independent lives; out cruising we're on the same wavelength.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 10:15   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

May just need to wait two years then, but hey if you wait, then you get a very nice, new boat. Doesn't sound too bad. Beside you'll be ordering in a few months, I assume at that point, it's real?
Meantime maybe buy something cheap to play with for two years or join a sailing club if possible, or just wait, two years isn't very long.
It's the time I'm having to wait for family reasons, yes I know it's two years less time that you have, clocks running, but sometimes it's best to wait?

As far as how you and your Husband communicate to each other, first it's none of our business and if it works for you guys, then fine.
I had a Soldier that worked for me when I was in the Army, from New Jersey and Italian heritage, to listen to him and his wife go at it, especially with the language that was used, you really wanted to call the Police. Surely there was a Murder happening.
But you know 30 min. later they were lovey Dovey and everything was fine. I couldn't have stood it, the names and accusations that were thrown back and forth, I would have never forgiven, but for them it worked.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 12:04   #28

Boat: Catalina 470

brookie,
No apologies needed...
And, since I never read any of your other posts, certainly never offended me...

But, seriously....
If you and husband are considering buying a sailboat, and if you have "Passport 545 tastes", but perhaps not all those dollars to spend, I have a couple thoughts you might find helpful....
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
Our ideal boat is a passport vista 545. But it has a hefty price tag and there are no used ones for sale. So I have been suggesting the alternative HC 48T.
The first of which is these are very different boats....
No matter how "nice" a new HC might seem, it is not the boat the Passport is...

Secondly, there actually ARE many boats (such as Catalina, and others) that can compete with the strength/durability, offshore capabilities, equipment, etc. etc. of the higher end production sailing yachts (Passport, Oyster, Hylas), but do not match them in the fit 'n finish, luxuries, etc...
{Heck, I grew up sailing on a Hinckley....and to this day, I still dream of sailing away on my own Hinckley SW-52!!
But, I don't have a spare $2 Million, just laying around....
So, I own and sail a Catalina!!
I do without some luxuries, like spending my entire life varnishing!! }

Third, this is not a "sales pitch" for any one boat of model (and, NO my boat is not on the market), but if you are looking for a hi-quality long-range offshore cruiser, with a price tag a lot less than the Passport 545, have a look at boats like the Catalina 470....

Yachts and boats for sale - Catalina Yachts

ยป Perry Design Review: Catalina 470

C470 Projects by Boat Name

CATALINA 470 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Although Catalina is now trying to concentrate on the 445, they still do build an occasional 470 (now becoming a "produce upon order, production boat"), with about 180 hulls of the C470 produced since 1998, it never was a "high-volume" production model...

From May, 1999 "Cruising World", describing the Catalina 470:
Quote:
Beautiful and big and right on the money

For many years the Catalina name has been synonymous with quality construction and a customer base with a high degree of loyalty to the brand. (In one of the many ways the company achieves this, founder Frank Buffer answers the phone in the Catalina customer-service department himself.) Butler, with chief designer Gerry Douglas, determined that their customers would like something bigger, "an ultimate boat," said Douglas. This is it.

And, with > 60,000 boats made in > 45 years, Catalina is still making what their customers need/desire.....and the company is still owned/operated by the same family / folks....

Just some food for thought....

Fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 14:02   #29

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
FWIW, the wife and I are never closer than when we are cruising. Even she has remarked that to other people. Back home we have semi-independent lives; out cruising we're on the same wavelength.
Wifey B: We're extremely close on and off the boat. Your situation is good that it brings you closer. But others who haven't spent that time together, find out they have a hard time dealing with it. It's sort of like when the career military guy retires and comes home and wants to run the family which has functioned fine all those years with his wife running things. He also finds out kids don't follow orders as well as military and they question things.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 14:57   #30

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Your hubby is a very fortunate guy to have a wife that wants what you want. Very fortunate indeed. Good Luck to you both!!