Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2015, 18:27   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: My First Boat Question Ever

From one Cooper to another, do you really want to build or do you really want to sail? If it is a financial decision you are not going to save much money by building a boat that size.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 19:36   #17

Boat: Scout 30

Here's a relatively new design that's getting some great reviews & is becoming quite popular. You can build it or buy it completed.

12′ Scamp | Gig Harbor Boat Works

S.C.A.M.P. Mini Microcruiser 11' 11" - Small Craft Advisor
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:11   #18

Thank you all for your comments, they were very helpful. by smaller I mean in between 8 and 15 ft so that it could be trailered pretty easily with a few guys. I would probably only have one our two people in the boat at a time and have some simple day gear packed in for emergencies. I have been looking at Clinker (lapstrake) and Carvel methods for the hull, because I don't necessarily care for the stitch and glue and I think that it would be harder the first couple boats, but as I progressed I would gain more knowledge. Thank you all again for your input

Cooper
Cooper H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:16   #19

captlloyd I want to build, but also sail. This isn't a financial decision at all. I just feel that if I build my own boat I will know it inside and out, like an author and his book. It would also give me a good experience and some history into sailing and craftsmanship
Old 01-07-2015, 04:19   #20

WoodenBoat is now publishing a small boat magazine that you can get online or in paper. Very informative & really applicable to what you are interested in. You can get a free upload here.

Small Boats Monthly
Old 01-07-2015, 04:30   #21

The Herreshoff 12 1/2 is widely regarded as maybe the best boat design ever. There have been a lot of versions by other designers over the years but the original, designed by Nat in 1914, is still my favorite & the most desirable. Probably not a great first build but sure would be an accomplishment & something to cherish.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:39   #22

Small Craft Advisor is another publication that I recommend. Issue 87 featured the Welsford 14'9" Navigator, another popular newer design that you might be interested in.

Small Craft Advisor Magazine - Online Store

Navigator - John Welsford Designs
Old 01-07-2015, 05:37   #23

I got this email today from Classic Boat. It's a source for boat builder grade wood. Might be helpful.
Marine timber for traditional boat builders
Old 01-07-2015, 06:04   #24

Here's a kit for the Scamp:

SCAMP CNC Building Kit - Small Craft Advisor
Old 01-07-2015, 17:58   #25

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

I find Phil Bolger's Gloucester Light Dory very attractive. 15 1/2 feet long. Relatively easy but quasi traditional construction. Supposed to row beautifully. He describes it as his ticket to heaven. There's a book, likely out of print, that goes over the construction in detail and includes plans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	104513  
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 19:05   #26

I'm still curious about the OP's purpose. The coast from Durban north way past Ballito is rather like the coast of Oregon I believe. Pounding surf on sandy beaches interspersed with rocky headlands. Great surfing, I'm sure, but not so great for learning to sail.

So, Cooper H, we could give you far better advice if we knew simple stuff like how you intend launch and recover. You could obviously sail an Ingrid or an Erik outta Durban, but Ballito? There is no yacht basin at Ballito as far as I can determine, and presumably not even a launching ramp. Are you intending to launch off a dolly through the surf in the old life boat style? What'll you do if you broach in the Indian Ocean surf?

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:34   #27

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
From one Cooper to another, do you really want to build or do you really want to sail? If it is a financial decision you are not going to save much money by building a boat that size.

It doesn't have to either/or... Some of us like to build boats, fix boats, sail boats, paddle boats, spill on boats, and laze about on boats.

JimK
Old 02-07-2015, 10:07   #28

I would probably sail south of Ballito closer to Durban. And as for launch and recovery I haven't figure that out. I need to look into some marinas and scope out my best option. Thank you guys for all the resources you have been sending me as well as asking me questions I haven't even thought of. It has helped me think through this more instead of just jumping right in.

Cooper
Old 02-07-2015, 15:26   #29

@Cooper #28

Coupla more points:

Ballito is, IIRC, a distant suburb of Durban. 50 clicks, or so. I keep my boat 150 clicks away, right on the briney, while I live in the "inland reaches" of the "Lower Mainland" of British Columbia. So take it from me - 50 clicks in small potatoes. I can't, from here, see that there is any satisfactory solution other than to keep your boat in Durban

My Brother-in-law built an Atkin Ingrid on the lands of HMCS Discovery, a "stone frigate" bang-smack in the middle of Vancouver. So it can be done. But remember that Ingrid displaces 25K lbs., call it 12 tons. You don't muck about with a 12 ton hammer!

Remember also that NEW construction, owner built, is the same price as decent beef - about $10/lb. And many a man has broken a marriage, his bank account and himself by biting off more than he could chew in that department!

On the other hand, an existing, floating, proven, surveyed, reasonably well-found cruiser LISTS for about $2/lb and the settlement price is usually about 60% of the listing price.

Annual maintenance costs - exclusive or moorage fees and insurance - is about 10% of acquisition cost.

As others have said, do not start a building project unless you get you jollies building rather than sailing, and be aware that if you do build, once you start, you are in for the duration, and there isn't a snowball's chance in Natal that you'll ever see your money again! Remember also that in a "started but abandoned" situation the hulk will be dealt with at YOUR expense, and that ain't cheap!

If you have Can$75K (say ZAR750K) to blow on a boat, get some sea-miles under your belt crewing in other peoples' cruisers so you know what you are about. And blow some of that money on a shopping trip. Joeburg to Vancouver is about twenny five hunnert return, 1,800 one way. We have LOADS of wonderful cruisers that haven't moved for years and are PINING for a keen owner. Coulda picked up a 50Ft Samson designed Ferro ketch last year for seven grand. She'd been "blue water" alright, and her rig was fairly good, but I wouldna touch 'er wi a barge pole! People cross to Hawaii and to Oz from Vancouver all the time. So get those sea-miles under your belt, then fly here, buy a decent boat and sail 'er 'ome! Mind you, for Durban you might have an easier time buying in Florida and following the old sailing ship route down along the South American Coast till you pick up the westerlies in the South Atlantic.

My boat would be fine for the voyage either way about, though you wouldn't get ME to do it for all the tea in China! And you can't 'ave 'er :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 16:00   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper H View Post
Thank you all for your comments, they were very helpful. by smaller I mean in between 8 and 15 ft so that it could be trailered pretty easily with a few guys. I would probably only have one our two people in the boat at a time and have some simple day gear packed in for emergencies. I have been looking at Clinker (lapstrake) and Carvel methods for the hull, because I don't necessarily care for the stitch and glue and I think that it would be harder the first couple boats, but as I progressed I would gain more knowledge. Thank you all again for your input

Cooper
I've got a 10' Bauer sailboat. With 2 people it's a tight fit. I would not recommend anything smaller than 12', especially if you plan to take it into unprotected waters. Also, if you want to avoid people telling you not to follow your dream of building your boat you might want to move the WoodenBoat forum. They get it over there.