Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2024, 18:59   #46

Boat: 1976 S2 7.0 23ft
Re: My first cruiser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Sleep is important when sailing for a few days or a few weeks.

It usually takes me 4-5 days to adjust to sleeping on the boat at anchor.

When I lived in Memphis, TN, I sailed and raced there on TVA Lakes in Mississippi.

I also raced my Beach Cats along the Gulf Coast. I trailed them there. Then later moved to the Florida Panhandle.

Moving a boat via the lower Mississippi River would be quite the ordeal I would think.

I fished on the Mississippi near Memphis on perfect days but not in Spring when it isn't unusual to see trees and other large debris floating down the river.
That is a very good point! Hadn't thought about trees! That's why I have you guys!
PotentialCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2024, 19:02   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
You can’t tow it down there? If I had that boat here I’d be planning a trip towing it down to Baja!
Well with the current trailer that would be a no go... maybe after swap. I just don't want to leave my truck anywhere and the Ole lady can drive back from Catoosa
Old 12-09-2024, 19:04   #48

Rot Repair in Fiberglass Boats

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/rotrepair/rotrepair.htm

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/

That's a couple of links I got from the seller that may be of interest
Old Yesterday, 06:57   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotentialCruise View Post
Thanks! I'm glad post are positive so far! I was a little worried.... yes she is extremely solid and HEAVY!
Don't forget that your intention to fit out the interior in Red Oak will increase the weight above the designed specification.
SpiritofGlenans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:20   #50

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Well with the current trailer that would be a no go... maybe after swap. I just don't want to leave my truck anywhere and the Ole lady can drive back from Catoosa
If you are going to take that boat or any boat down the lower Mississippi River, you better have crew, lots of fuel, lights, and a really good engine.

The current can get really strong, and then there's the barge traffic.

They can't stop on a dime either.

On top of this, there are very few places to stop on a small boat.

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:33   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofGlenans View Post
Don't forget that your intention to fit out the interior in Red Oak will increase the weight above the designed specification.
I've outgrown that idea already... probably just do carpet and maybe a plastic sheeting.
Old Yesterday, 07:59   #52

Quote:
If you are going to take that boat or any boat down the lower Mississippi River, you better have crew, lots of fuel, lights, and a really good engine.

The current can get really strong, and then there's the barge traffic.

They can't stop on a dime either.

On top of this, there are very few places to stop on a small boat.

I already understand this all. And even knowing the dangers and challenges I'm still crazy enough to try it... When the time comes I will reevaluate once again. But I'm thinking this is the route I want to go. The only thing that would change the route would be if I sell this girl and buy a bigger one on the ocean. Of course life happens so stay tuned in! Thanks for the vid tho
Old Yesterday, 08:11   #53

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
I already understand this all. And even knowing the dangers and challenges I'm still crazy enough to try it... When the time comes I will reevaluate once again. But I'm thinking this is the route I want to go. The only thing that would change the route would be if I sell this girl and buy a bigger one on the ocean. Of course life happens so stay tuned in! Thanks for the vid tho
That would be the best way.

Learn on the boat you have now then buy your next larger boat along the Gulf Coast if that is where you want to go.

The boat you have now is too light for ocean sailing. It can be done of course, but you wouldn't enjoy it much.

My 27' boat weighs in at around 6700 lbs. with 2700 in the keel. Short waterline though.

I used to walk the docks in Pensacola, FL just about every weekend planning which type monohull I would get after I stopped racing Beach Cats. This between 1995-2008.

There are lots of nice boats along the Gulf Coast, but after you buy it, you may want to head North especially in Summer since the heat is hard to deal with down there that time of year.

Good example is this C&C 32 in Ft Walton Beach Fl for just $16,000 (asking price)

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1981-c$c-32-8959965/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.5.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	474.1 KB
ID:	294201   Click image for larger version

Name:	B27 lift.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	294202  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:12   #54

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Well Played!
Looks like you have what you need to get out on the water.
Clean it up, and go sailing right now! You have a month or two of decent weather.
That will pump up your enthusiasm for the winter projects.

My advice is to slow down on the interior. With a mill and some nice wood, you might be eager to get to work on the interior before you really know what you want.

I would just camp out on the boat for an overnight or two, or even on the trailer in your driveway.
Consider the original arrangement that the builder made. We have at least one owner who said the boat worked well.

Red oak is not a very durable wood around water. I suggest that you seal each piece you use with several coats of whatever finish you choose (epoxy or oil based?) before you fasten it to the boat. Put a drop of sealer into your screw holes, then drive the screw. Tarp the boat when it's parked on the trailer for any length of time, and leave some openings for air flow.

It's great to see someone get a good deal on a good first 'cruiser'. Go for it! Post pictures!
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:29   #55

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

If you are going to use the trailer much at all, job #2 is to repack the wheel bearings. Job #1 is to get that ball coupler fixed!
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:43   #56

This is the plastic panel I'm going to use on the floor and cover the plywood
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240914_123921.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	294226  
Old Today, 10:45   #57

Quote:
That would be the best way.

Learn on the boat you have now then buy your next larger boat along the Gulf Coast if that is where you want to go.

The boat you have now is too light for ocean sailing. It can be done of course, but you wouldn't enjoy it much.

My 27' boat weighs in at around 6700 lbs. with 2700 in the keel. Short waterline though.

I used to walk the docks in Pensacola, FL just about every weekend planning which type monohull I would get after I stopped racing Beach Cats. This between 1995-2008.

There are lots of nice boats along the Gulf Coast, but after you buy it, you may want to head North especially in Summer since the heat is hard to deal with down there that time of year.

Good example is this C&C 32 in Ft Walton Beach Fl for just $16,000 (asking price)

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1981-c$c-32-8959965/
Nice!
Old Today, 10:48   #58

Congrats and enjoy!

My advice would be to do the minimum to get it on the water and see how she feels before deciding on an exact rebuild path. Is this going to be just a day sailor, or any overnights?
BonefishGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:50   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfislandfred View Post
Well Played!
Looks like you have what you need to get out on the water.
Clean it up, and go sailing right now! You have a month or two of decent weather.
That will pump up your enthusiasm for the winter projects.

My advice is to slow down on the interior. With a mill and some nice wood, you might be eager to get to work on the interior before you really know what you want.

I would just camp out on the boat for an overnight or two, or even on the trailer in your driveway.
Consider the original arrangement that the builder made. We have at least one owner who said the boat worked well.

Red oak is not a very durable wood around water. I suggest that you seal each piece you use with several coats of whatever finish you choose (epoxy or oil based?) before you fasten it to the boat. Put a drop of sealer into your screw holes, then drive the screw. Tarp the boat when it's parked on the trailer for any length of time, and leave some openings for air flow.

It's great to see someone get a good deal on a good first 'cruiser'. Go for it! Post pictures!
Thanks gulfislandfred! That is some good suggestions. I have considered pulling everything out and starting again... especially because I'm 6' and need some leg room! Camping out on the trailer may be in the future! Thank you for the words of encouragement!
Old Today, 10:59   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonefishGuru View Post
Congrats and enjoy!

My advice would be to do the minimum to get it on the water and see how she feels before deciding on an exact rebuild path. Is this going to be just a day sailor, or any overnights?
I'd like to over-the-week or weekend during the cooler spring and falls here. But mainly just get some miles under sail and make sure this is the path I want to take before I sale most of my things and one property.

Tags
cruise, cruiser