Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 11:29   #61

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.
Re: My first cruiser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
If you are going to use the trailer much at all, job #2 is to repack the wheel bearings. Job #1 is to get that ball coupler fixed!

For sure the coupler and repack the bearings, along with another axle and 2 more rims and fresh tires...
Old Today, 11:41   #62

Boat: 1976 S2 7.0 23ft

BTW she looks like a Junk now with the pvc frame I made and tarpd her already
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240914_133846.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	294227  
PotentialCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:42   #63

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Thanks for the kind words!
If you're 6' tall, I suggest that you measure the V berth (bow) and the quarter berths if there are one or two. Quarter berths are often longer than V berths, or can be made longer more easily.

You can sometimes add length to one side of a V berth, or even make it longer in the middle, to stretch out.

I usually prefer the quarter berth for sleeping if I'm sailing solo. When I was sailing our Aquarius 23 with my daughter and her young teenage pals, The girls would hang a curtain across the boat, and take over the V berth area. they would come and go through the forward hatch. Wife and I slept in the two quarter berths.
On a boat that small, I would go for a row in the morning, and leave the girls and my wife with the whole boat to do their morning stuff.
(Maybe too much information, but the head was a bucket with a really comfortable toilet seat, and a good tight lid. It was my job to deal with the bucket. Paper went into a paper bag, then the wood stove. I would either just dump the bucket, if appropriate, or take it ashore to park pit toilets, or wait until we were in deeper water to dump it.) before the holding tank chorus starts up - very few pump out stations in the Gulf Islands. Most people pump out their systems when they're a bit off shore. Composting toilets are more popular every year. (bucket with peat moss, pretty much) If you and your guests are comfortable to pee in a smaller container, and dump it over the sdde immediately, the whole system works better.
Sorry, that was pretty long. Point is, think about a quarter berth for your sleeping spot.
If you cruise with a romantic partner, you might have to get creative.

Trailer brakes are usually not functional, in my experience (all salt water).
A new trailer connector, with no brake actuator, is inexpensive, and easy to install.

If your tow vehicle is heavier than the boat and trailer, and you just tow locally, you might just go without brakes, put a new hitch on the trailer, and have a good connection.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:52   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfislandfred View Post
Thanks for the kind words!
If you're 6' tall, I suggest that you measure the V berth (bow) and the quarter berths if there are one or two. Quarter berths are often longer than V berths, or can be made longer more easily.

You can sometimes add length to one side of a V berth, or even make it longer in the middle, to stretch out.

I usually prefer the quarter berth for sleeping if I'm sailing solo. When I was sailing our Aquarius 23 with my daughter and her young teenage pals, The girls would hang a curtain across the boat, and take over the V berth area. they would come and go through the forward hatch. Wife and I slept in the two quarter berths.
On a boat that small, I would go for a row in the morning, and leave the girls and my wife with the whole boat to do their morning stuff.
(Maybe too much information, but the head was a bucket with a really comfortable toilet seat, and a good tight lid. It was my job to deal with the bucket. Paper went into a paper bag, then the wood stove. I would either just dump the bucket, if appropriate, or take it ashore to park pit toilets, or wait until we were in deeper water to dump it.) before the holding tank chorus starts up - very few pump out stations in the Gulf Islands. Most people pump out their systems when they're a bit off shore. Composting toilets are more popular every year. (bucket with peat moss, pretty much) If you and your guests are comfortable to pee in a smaller container, and dump it over the sdde immediately, the whole system works better.
Sorry, that was pretty long. Point is, think about a quarter berth for your sleeping spot.
If you cruise with a romantic partner, you might have to get creative.

Trailer brakes are usually not functional, in my experience (all salt water).
A new trailer connector, with no brake actuator, is inexpensive, and easy to install.

If your tow vehicle is heavier than the boat and trailer, and you just tow locally, you might just go without brakes, put a new hitch on the trailer, and have a good connection.
Some more good points to think out. She came with a new head, haven't pulled it out and looked how it functions - as small as it is surely its a dump and not compost. I have a 1ton dually so towing is not an issue neither are breaks - have engine brake as well. I don't trust this trailer as far as I have pulled it home!
Old Today, 11:53   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
For sure the coupler and repack the bearings, along with another axle and 2 more rims and fresh tires...

Tags
cruise, cruiser