Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2008, 06:36   #31

Well done JC. Please post pics
Regards
Butch
Butch .H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 07:54   #32

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'
Hi all,
I have some pic's for you! Siren is my boat,Dragon lady is a paid project boat of mine ....now there is some inspiration! I might rather have Butch's boat!
siren.thereeds.homeunix.org
Jim
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 17:10   #33

Boat: 13 mtr Adams steel cruiser-"Lady Eileen".)
Hi Butch,

Couple of photos attached.
Needs a bit of cosmetic touching up on the outside as only primed and not touched for about 5 years-at all.
Inside has been sandblasted and finish coated.
The deal comes with a big metal shed full of very expensive goodies ( all very solid large s/s hatches,ports,rigging,widow surrounds, steering column etc .etc.Also has a brand spanking new ( expensive I believe ? ) Dickinson " Atlantic " diesel oven and cooktop but dont know if he was planning to go to the South Pole because it would be too hot to use over here unless going south.Perkins diesel in top order.
Basically paid for the 4.2 ton of lead keel and all the goodies.Rest of the boat was free.
Not as much work as my other "project " so have to make a commercial decision either sell off old Rusty or she will have to wait till this one gets done.
Will think it over.

Regards
JC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	our yacht 068.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	4351   Click image for larger version

Name:	our yacht 065.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	4352  

Name:	our yacht 079.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	481.1 KB
ID:	4353   Click image for larger version

Name:	our yacht 073.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	4355  

john connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 10:39   #34

J C What can I say cool boat well done
Regards
Butch
Old 16-07-2008, 13:01   #35

Hi JC. What ideas for the interior of your new boat. Steel and GRP offer more options than wood. I think there is only somay nails and screws one can put into wood. We are circling a Roberts Ketch like a pack of sharks. She is an old girl with lods of rust but seems to be sound. We have formed a loose consortium with five other boat nuts.We are going to have atleast one joint project on the go at any one time.That is besides the one's in our gardens. I am hoping to take some photos of the old girl soon and I will post them on this thread.The other chaps I am involved with are hard core tradisionalists monos and the older the better. One Has rebuilt a 54 Pilothouse clipper in his back yard.How we are going to move her is not quite sorted yet. Good timber seems to be readily available localy. Boats are comming onto the market daily due to the tough economic conditions. Sad when you almost feed off someone elses hard times. Next maybe a Ferro.Ferro have not had a fair shake in this country.Will also post some photos of these. The realy bad ones will be used a artificial reefs after we remove all the goodies.No work on my boat this week or the weekend because of family engagments. In a bad mood allready

Regards
Butch
Old 16-07-2008, 13:27   #36

Boat: 13 mtr Adams steel cruiser-"Lady Eileen".)
Go hard.Worth it

Hi Butch,

Yes ,there are many options coming out for play at the moment on the market,probably all over the world due to more stringent financial times.
e.g there is a 50 ft timber yacht on aussie ebay at the moment,started at $1,now up to around $3,000:00 with a day to go. Due to a divorce,loaded with goodies.Will be interesting to see what it goes for.
This Adams has the full history and was actually built in Joe Adam's building yard up in Port Macquarie ( and under his guidance -I have the photos to prove it ) by a builder by the name of Ryan De Graff who apparently did his building time in Holland.
We are going to take some considerable time working out exactly how we are going to fit it out but it comes with full plans of layout if we want to go with that.
I am having a tussle with my conscience on whether or not to keep my 40 ft steel hull I was planning to rebuild.Only so much time. Would be good if I can on sell it as a project but I would be very sad to have to cut her up for scrap.Then again the bits and pieces that came with her far exceed my costs so far.Maybe find a partner to help with it as the rent is minimal and the rent where my Adams sits is only $50 per month.?
Might do what you are doing-go for it.

Sounds like you have your passion to rebuild ( and recycle ) set on the right path.Good luck to you.I have found that only the brave get ahead in this world and when they step outside their comfort zone it is amazing how many people come out of the woodwork to help you when they see passion at its best-pure.
Did you see the 63 ferro on the forum recently.?The goodies alone in this boat would have exceeded the asking price.All it needed was a bit of a "haircut " to get rid of the butt ugly pilot house and build a more sleek one and it would have been quite presentable.
Good luck with the Roberts.
Post some pic's if you get it.

Regards
JC
john connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 14:08   #37

Hi John. I would probebly hold on to both if I could.Probebly moth ball one for later. The main problem as I see it would be rust prevention . It is amazing how much preventative maintenance is still required on a boat.A group of boat nuts on a project is fun and eases the strain both on time and cost but it is important to have a personal project.I will post photos of the yachts that are under consideration. We have one or two real beauties languishing in various yach clubs.

Regards
Butch
Old 08-08-2008, 13:40   #38

Timber has arrived, am now full of splinters,cuts,epoxy in my hair got the flu lost my hammer again and cant find the damn jigsaw. Boy having fun now. Supose I will have to go to work some time soon
Old 08-08-2008, 15:37   #39

The designer of the boat died 1930. He have many good designs... Good luck with your job.
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 16:44   #40

Thanks Freetime
Old 09-08-2008, 06:11   #41

Do a search on google and use google translate for www, then you can read swedish! He is designer of the beautiful Mälar 22...

Google Translate
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 13:48   #42

I spend atleast 20 minutes trying to get past the crusing and sailing photo gallery befor I can get to check my posts
Old 14-09-2008, 12:30   #43

Progress: Starboard hull planked now for the hard work sanding sealing and sheath. Deck ply arriving next week
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Befor Planks.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	5067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Planked.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	5068  

Old 16-09-2008, 19:15   #44

Wow that some pics. that could be alot of fun keep the updates comming.
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 14:13   #45

Some progress what looked like a simple repair turned into a serious pain in the back
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0699.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	5646   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1041.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	5647  

Name:	100_1835.jpg