Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 20:14   #46

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!
Re: My search for a boat may have just happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I posted on the other thread also, but just in case:
I’d probably also not share awesome deals on CF until you have sealed the deal. You may have tipped someone off to get an offer in ahead of you. That was a sweet deal, though I agree that spending 40% of purchase price on shipping is slightly absurd.
Yeah.. That is what I said to the broker. I think that might have happened. He will not Admit it. I am not feeling Brokers- keep in mind I would have put the money down so this guy was not acting in my interest. Guess we need to call brokers what they are salesmen. Lets just say that might have cost him a big sale in the future. Karma!
Old 11-04-2018, 22:07   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Fellow old fart,

I understand your disappointment, but would like to offer some oft-repeated advice:

Never fall in love with a boat before you have seen it personally.
Never fall in love with a boat before you have negotiated a price that you are really happy with.
Never fall in love with a boat that has a mysterious "other customer in the wings}" that you must out maneuver.

Failing to observe those precautions has been so very costly to so very many newbie buyers. It's hard to not get excited as the boxes get checked off (in theory), but always remember that no broker or owner ever tells the whole truth. They may not lie in answering your questions, but they'll never just up and mention hidden faults that you don't see and inquire about.

So, swallow your disappointment and realize that you quite possibly have just dodged a bullet!

Keep looking... it took us three years to find and buy this boat.

Jim
Old 11-04-2018, 22:44   #48

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Fellow old fart,

I understand your disappointment, but would like to offer some oft-repeated advice:

Never fall in love with a boat before you have seen it personally.
Never fall in love with a boat before you have negotiated a price that you are really happy with.
Never fall in love with a boat that has a mysterious "other customer in the wings}" that you must out maneuver.

Failing to observe those precautions has been so very costly to so very many newbie buyers. It's hard to not get excited as the boxes get checked off (in theory), but always remember that no broker or owner ever tells the whole truth. They may not lie in answering your questions, but they'll never just up and mention hidden faults that you don't see and inquire about.

So, swallow your disappointment and realize that you quite possibly have just dodged a bullet!

Keep looking... it took us three years to find and buy this boat.

Jim
Thanks Jim,

I needed to hear this so greatly! Right before I read this post I received a call from the owner in WA State regarding his cape dory. It sold. Happy for new owner. Yeah I admit I fell in love with that vanguard. It happens to the best of us. Will try to follow your advice and I think you know it to be hard! your advice is great and also hard to swallow. I ca tell your a great guy with some wisdom. I am willing to hear more from you as I can only benefit! Thanks a bunch! Michael Carey!
Old 11-04-2018, 23:25   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I was thinking that considering you are in the PNW, why not focus on what may be up for sale in California. If something pops up it is considerably easier to come down to check it out. And it is not too hard to relocate a boat (sail) from SF/Santa Cruz/Monterey to southern Cal.
This is probably more boat and more money than you are thinking of, but there is a really nice-looking Bristol 40 in my harbor (Channel Islands) listed at $29,900. Just a thought.
That was my plan keeping in mind I was looking for a comfy boat to use as a winter retreat! I have several marinas that are open to my plans. If you can send me some listings that would be great. Thank You! Michael.

Tags
arc, boat