Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2020, 16:36   #1

Mysterious French water meter

In my 'new to me 1991 Beneteau 41s5 there is a strange meter in a closet that says its measuring fresh water consumed (I think) . Why is this and waht does it imply??? The owners manual does not mention it.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 17:00   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Mysterious French water meter

It appears you are describing a flow meter. Now you have to determine if it is measuring the water flowing into your fresh water tank, which is what a friend has on his First as he doesn’t want to be racing with more water aboard than is required, or if it is measuring the water flowing out of the tank, or water consumed. Both are handy bits of information.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 18:39   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

If it's showing your consumption, and the tank is 500 liters, when it gets to 450 you'll know it's time to re-fill.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 20:05   #4

No one so far knows what it is or does or anything--remember I have 3 tangs with three fills on deck --and also ways to select the tanks to use--- there are two wires coming from this gage.
Old 19-12-2020, 20:30   #5

It is measuring consumption using a transducer that you’ll find just downstream of the fresh water pump. Likely in the same compartment as the pump. Since all three of your tanks feed to the pump, it will give an accurate reading no matter which tank you currently have open.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 20:31   #6

So its use is to track how much water is left aft a full top up of all 3 tanks? Full tanks -then deduct usage = amount left? lololol
Old 19-12-2020, 23:29   #7

Yes, if it works. Mine never has. You also need to know the capacities for your three tanks. I’m guessing around 140 gallons or so? You can check exactly with a $15 garden hose flow meter from Amazon.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 08:14   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

If it’s blue and white labelled Amiot, it has an internal non-replaceable battery. When mine died (1998 Jeanneau), the German manufacturer wrote “it is not intended to replace the battery. It is intended to replace the instrument “. Which is spec’d at a 7-year life (think about it).
I bought a RedLion 12-v powered counter on eBay for less.

As for yours, press reset when your tanks are full, then watch it count your consumption. You can just use each tank in turn and check the reading when each runs dry (pump not stopping).
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 09:45   #9

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
No one so far knows what it is or does or anything--remember I have 3 tangs with three fills on deck --and also ways to select the tanks to use--- there are two wires coming from this gage.
A picture would be appropriate.
Any view of the name or serial #s as well.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 09:56   #10

A picture is worth a thousand words...
patrickbarbary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 10:38   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I have a Jeanneau 43ds and it has a similar system. An electyronic fresh water counter just after the fresh water pressure pump and before the manifold where there is a choice of the thee water tanks. The readout is on the panel at the chart table under "Comsumption". I added a three tank peg-board so i would always know which tanks are still full , which one was being used and which were empty. Unbelievably accurate. +/- 1 litre in capacities of 155/215/155 litres. If i could work out how to do it i wld attach a pic of the counter and my pegboard. Do not hv a pic of the actual in-line flow meter since not on the boat right now. Take a look at what water pipes feed to it and what pipes are downline and i think you will find it follows the same theme that i have on my boat. If you wld like to see a pic pls send me a PM w yr email addr and i will send you a copy.
Andrew
Old 20-12-2020, 10:40   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Correction: I got that wrong. The flow meter is AFTER the three way manifold, not before it. That way you get to see how much water has flowed into yr galley, heads etc from yr chosen tank.
Andrew
Old 20-12-2020, 19:21   #13

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic

Have (had - removed as it did not work - useless) similar meter on the fresh water line on my 1998 Dufour 35 Classic.
The boat is ex Whitsunday charter and I assume that the meter was to inform the charter operators on water consumption
It was an analog meter, no wires that I could see, just a counter and no readout on power panel that I could see?
I think that what others have posted is correct - you reset the meter when the tanks are full, knowing capacity of all tankage which gives a clue to when the tanks need filling? The really dumb thing with the meter was that it was to all intents and purposes inaccessible to all but a contortionist with very long arms, under the galley sink.
Investigating slowly diminishing water pressure on the boat I removed it, and a filter on the supply side of the meter, but still cannot find why we have very low water pressure though
I've filled the water tanks, replaced the pressure pump, replaced the accumulator, driven myself crazy seeking a concealed filter, posted on the forum - nothing found?
inspectr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 06:07   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

My Jeanneau 49DS has a Belgian made domestic water meter made by a firm called Wateau.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqLwtI1czSAlk7FL...dssTg?e=sau5I8

There is a wheel and an impulse reader which is meant to send the litres used in total from the three tanks to a display by the chart table.

It has been 100% useless ever since I have had the boat. I suspect that it is because the meter is designed for mains water pressure and therefore the bpat pressure is not enough to rotate it. When I took it out and ran a hose through it the readings moved.

Anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, water