Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 20:12   #1

Name Change

We are looking to close a purchase for a Beneteau 35.
The vessel is 22 years old, and a one owner.
We will be sailing it on the great lakes.
We have owned a couple of other smaller sailboats and never changed the name of the sailboat.
I once heard that changing the name of a sailboat is like breaking a mirror, in that you will have seven years of bad luck.
Are there any concerns or reservations about changing the name of a sailboat ? The current name is O K, but just looking for any sea demons if we change it.
Thanks,
Harry R
Harry R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 20:41   #2

Boat: Leopard 38+; Corsair F-31UC
Re: Name Change

Harry,

Here is something that we used and it worked on our old boat. I'll let you come to your own conclusions regarding superstition. To me it's like pushing politics or religion, you need to decide for yourself. It is a serious deal in the cruiser community and we had a great time with ours, or what I remember of it.

http://www.bluewatersailing.com/docu...ngceremony.pdf

Don
2000 Leopard 38+
svbonzai.com
Trvlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 20:54   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I changed the name of my first boat, but I changed it to a name that was deeply, personally significant to me... and that boat treated me very well both before and after the name change.

BTW Welcome aboard here!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 21:10   #4

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I changed the name of my first boat, but I changed it to a name that was deeply, personally significant to me... and that boat treated me very well both before and after the name change.

BTW Welcome aboard here!
Yup, ditto to everything Don just said. This has been my experience, too. If you truly feel it's going to be inauspicious; however, then, it will be. Don't change it.

Welcome to CF, Harry
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 22:17   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

The name of my boat is very important to me. I've changed both my present boats name and modified my last boats name. Your boat becomes your friend, the name matters.

Do the neptune name changing think just to be sure.. Lol.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:55   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I do confess that I was told by an old salt, "Ya gotta run 'er aground!" So I sailed slowly over to the local sand bar and let her nudge one or two grains of sand...
That bottom paint was new, didn't want to ruin it!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:03   #7

Superstitions are so cultural it is pretty funny to hear what each community believes.

FWIW there's an entire fleet of IMOCSs that annually do probably more miles in hard sailing than all - and they are constantly sold and purchased and renamed.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 14:31   #8

Wow, thanks for the great replies.

I will run these by the boss (wife) and if she is indifferent, probably leave well enough alone.
I need all of the luck we can get on the open water.

On the other hand, the ceremony to change the name sounds pretty cool so if we change the name, it should be fun.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Harry R
Harry R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 21:34   #9

Boat: Island Packet 485

As I understand it, it is essential to ameliorate the new name by eliminating any reference to the old. This means any logs or documents on board, faded or painted over decals, key chains or anything else aboard indicating the replaced name that might gain the unwelcome attention of deities or demigods; imagined or not. For this, these will recognize the vessel not for its former name but for the new and allow sympathy for the safe conveyance of the vessel, its passengers and crew. This is accompanied by a series of chants and offerings and perhaps even a backing down upon the old name.

That having been said, I don't think it amounts to more than a social event. Our boat was commissioned in the mid eighties and was recently renamed. The previous owners renamed her but left the commissioning plate aboard with the original name and it's since been moved up the Atlantic coast, hauled on a truck and sailed twice across Lake Michigan without incident. Because we do not care much for the new name and the original is as good as anything we could come up with, we're returning her to her commissioned name this year. Wish us luck if you cannot join us in Manitowoc, WI this Memorial Day weekend for the ceremony!.
Durangutan is offline   Reply With Quote