Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2016, 16:20   #1

Boat: Aloha 34
Nantucket Island 33

Good day,

I am looking at a NI33 and am having trouble finding information on the boat. I was wondering if anyone had any info to share or experience? The boats were designed in Australia and I am in Canada, so geography is part of the problem. I have read a couple of posts from Reefmagnet who said it doesn't go upwind so well (I believe he said 60degrees off the wind was about his best).

Is the high freeboard a problem?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Scadian
Scadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 07:48   #2

Boat: seems it wasn't in the cards
Re: Nantucket Island 33

Hi,

I am looking for info on the Nantucket island 33 as well.

Beyond Reefmagnet who is a great source for info on the Auzzie-Made ones, there is SevenSeas (Shawnee) here on CF (but he hasn't been around for a bit).

There are two gorgeous ones that weremade for the american market (which are known to be better built), that you can visit in Canada.

One is in Ontario, listed with a broker called Kingston. Her name is Pirate Jenny (1984). Oh, what a doll! but do not get your hopes up: the broker told me that the owner cannot part with her. she has been on and off the market for a few years now.

there is another (forgot her name now) that is used for classes in a sailing school in... either Nova Scotia or Newfoundland. I wrote to them in 2016 to get some info (i was even tempted to go up there and take a class so to spend a week on the boat), but they never answered.

Since you posted you may have already discovered this and even unearthed other N133's. Please, please, please let me know. If ever you get yours and i get one as well, then let's start an owner's association and share in the discoveries.

Good things to you

ChiChi
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 04:30   #3

Boat: Hartley TS16, RL24
Re: Nantucket Island 33

I have a share in a Nantucket Islander 33 and have no problem beating at 45 degrees. We have a large genoa and trim its leech to just kiss the side shrouds. It's important to have some tension in the genoa leech line to avoid excessive leech flap. Sail to the genoa telltales and trim the main accordingly so there is just slight backwinding off the luff. Last week I had her sailing at 6.2 kts VOG into a 15 kt breeze.
SimonP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nantucket