Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2024, 09:52   #31

Re: Navionics iPhone replacement

QtVlm is what we've switched to. Works great on iOS and you can use their paid for charts or MBTiles (including navionics charts) or charts from several other sources. Great weather routing as well.
Sabado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2024, 13:29   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabado View Post
QtVlm is what we've switched to. Works great on iOS and you can use their paid for charts or MBTiles (including navionics charts) or charts from several other sources. Great weather routing as well.
Thank you. Looks like a cool option. Did you get the paid version?
awrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2024, 13:34   #33

Boat: Lagoon 380

I'm playing with SeaIQ on my iPad right now. I hadn't heard of it until I saw a thread on another forum looking for alternatives to Navionics.
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2024, 14:12   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by awrobin View Post
Thank you. Looks like a cool option. Did you get the paid version?
We got the paid version for both iOS and Android as well as made a donation for the PC version.
Sabado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2024, 15:46   #35

Aquamaps question:

I went to their site, and can't seem to find any prices for maps of Greece or Turkey.

Their chart viewer shows blocks in those areas, but the price list does not seem to collect any blocks for a price like it does for Italy, Spain, etc.

Can someone point me in the right direction on this?
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2024, 15:52   #36

Boat: Lagoon 380

Under Europe I do not see Greece or Turkey. Most likely they are unsupported like big chunks of Asia. If you go under the Chart Store you can see all they have to offer.

Cheyne
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2024, 16:46   #37

Boat: 40' custom catamaran

Johan Leopard51 wrote:
Quote:
I’m considering getting a Garmin Montana as backup. It is more rugged than iphone for use on tender or fishing out on atoll/lagoon and as a bonus it has Garmin Inreach messaging via satellite.
I went to Garmin's site, and it seems the 700 could be the better choice for us, as the comparison chart shows that unlike the 750i and 7001, the 700 has GLONASS support as well as GPS & Galileo Support. I am assuming that's a plus!

The best comparison and review I have seen is:
https://hikingguy.com/hiking-gear/in...0i-700-review/

My question is simple: it's clear that the Montana is a GPS meant for hiking. Will it show the Navionics Boating charts when it knows it is off land? Can our Navionics charts be downloaded to it? That is not clear from any reviews I have seen.

As well, in the comments on his excellent YouTube review of the Montana by the author I linked to avove, a subscriber posted that he experienced, "buyer's remorse": for the same reason this thread started:

Quote:
Anyone contemplating purchasing a Garmin Montana 700i or 750i should understand you would be entering an ecosystem designed for continued expenditure of funds. At first I was impressed by my 700i; however that changed to buyers remorse. The device is well made and promises an impressive feature list. However, implementing the full feature set is cumbersome and costly. Reminiscent of Apple or Prime, the ecosystem relies on subscriptions and purchases. For example, the unit supports a tiny micro-SD card, which makes downloads awkward. Maps are available for purchase by card or download; however they will only be available for 12 months following purchase, dependent on which plan was used, and they can't be hosted in two locations.
Finally, just setting up one of these is a nightmare (and so typically Garmin in flavour); The full steps are detailed at the end of the review linked to above. It is extremely complex.

This is the "enshittification" that Cory Doctorow has written about so eloquently: companies, once they've captured you, make it harder and more expensive to do what you need to do within their ecosystem.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone, men, navionics, phone