Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2018, 15:59   #1

need a rear walk through stern sailboat

What can you guys recommend for a 36 to 42 foot sailboat that has the rear open walk down stern to the water. I want to be able to get down to the dingy boat easy and load items easier too. I live on the east coast of florida and want to sail through the Bahamas during the summer months. We love it over there.
I have looked at Catalina and Hunters. I like those so far.
pittss2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 16:04   #2

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Re: need a rear walk through stern sailboat

Hunter 356 or 36. I have a 2003 356 and have sailed just under 10,000 miles in KY Lake and to SW Florida and back. No Bahamas, but would not hesitate to sail all over Bahamas. Great boat. Some will say 5 foot draft for Bahamas too deep - other attributes of the boat would overcome that limitation. Just get good Chartplotter with Radar/sonar.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 16:45   #3

nice. thanks. yea I hear a shallow hull would be better for the islands. but I figured 5 foot or less and I would have all up to date chart plotter and charts. with todays technology should be fine.
Old 02-09-2018, 16:51   #4

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Many modern boats have swim steps and open transoms. I personally like the transoms that have "traditional" bulwarks with a cut out. That is to say, that the rear of the cockpit is enclosed, with a smaller opening onto the swim step. This style seems more secure to me in rough water. One some boats, the opening is open along the entire stern. I personally don't like that style.

If you look at the entire boat styling, build quality and sailing attributes you will find many boats that will "check off all your boxes". Only you will be able to make the decision.

The temptation is to tell you two things: I love my boat because it is the best thing ever, and... Don't get one of (insert name of boat type) because they are not good. Good and ... not good, are really subjective and based on not only the needs of individuals, but also the prejudices of each of us. From your question it sounds like you may be new to this. Have a great time exploring what boats might work for you. After you get a bit more information, find a way to sail on lots of different boats. That will help inform your choice.

By the way, a Catalina 400 MKII is just about the perfect boat for you .....
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 16:53   #5

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
need a rear walk through stern sailboat

I keep my dinghy on the foredeck and use a 5HP propane Lehr with a hoist pole that holds my KVH Satellite Antenna for Dish Network. We have towed my Avon dinghy across GOM twice (motor on bracket on my stern -not on dinghy) and when we get ready to use the dinghy we pull it along the stern, hook two bungee cords to the handles for the stern ladder to the dinghy rope and handle and the dinghy is secure. I lower the motor down with one hand and once in the boat, use the rope that is attached to the hoist to steady us when we board the dinghy. I just retired my Avon 260 Hypalon after 15-1/2 years of service and am replacing with an aluminum rib. I want a hard floor. Our air floor was fine for moving but when we step in, any water goes right to your point load at your foot. Not a problem with summer sandals, but spring and fall with tennis shoes, wet shoes are,
not the best.

Photo is at Gulfport, FL before I got rid of my 4HP Yamaha and bought the Lehr. You can see the hoist attachment rope (dark blue). The white Edson rail attached motor mount (behind the slit in my rear enclosure) is where the motor resides when cruising.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1586.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	176716
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 17:15   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

I have a '95 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 371 (37.5') that functions quite well in this capacity. Draft is 5'2". It is an owners version with double berths fore and aft and settee that converts to another double if wished. Well equipped, radar, plotter, etc. all the usual instrumentation, nice galley and very clean, well laid out and is quite easy to board Able to be single handed, all lines led aft, water maker, dinghy davits, scuba tank mounts, all safety gear current, etc. that I am selling for $70k. It is currently based in the USVI, if you are interested. PM me.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:04   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

The Hunter Legend 35.5 (mid 90's) has a great transom, and only draws 4.5 feet. Plus its a gorgeous boat above and below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	swim.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	176727  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:19   #8

We have a Hallberg Rassy 36 Mk II. We bought her for exactly your reason, easy access to the water and dingy. Draft is 5’8”.
Chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:00   #9

great information. thanks everyone. I do like the two state room idea too. since we have a daughter that will be going with us some times too. also the shallow draft not a bad idea either too since I want to spend a lot of time cruising the Bahamas. We fly there a lot and stay, but I am ready to sail and explore.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:19   #10

Boat: Boatless

I have your boat!!!!!!!!!

Just sailed her back from Bahamas and she is now offered for sale.

Walk through transom was one of our requirements as well ;-) Ohana II is turn key right down to the linens. I would take her anywhere!

Check out the blog as well for more details. Find the piece entitled “hunter, really”

There, now you can stop looking and start cruising!

https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/63799
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	73A29897-E80F-48FC-9DF2-D313AD15F3ED.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	176728  

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:54   #11

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

Try a Wally some of these boats have an inside walk through to the transom and so far to the sea.
Good luck!
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 14:28   #12

Boat: Selene 43 Ocean Trawler

We loved our Jeanneau 42 DS. Perfect for accessing the dinghy when at anchor, and for pulling into our slip stern first.
ATBster
ATBster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat