Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2015, 15:04   #16

Boat: Bock, 14'
Re: Need a Sailboat for a Work of Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Would go with a boat around 50'. Has to be large enough to have a separate crews quarter which is often little more than tiny closet yet not so large as to require a larger crew than two people. Crews quarters were usually in the forepeak which has the worst motion underway. Would want at least two state rooms if you want the boat to have a hope of making any money. These boats were not the 4 stateroom/4 head floating condos of the current charter crowd. Probably had only two heads Back in the '80s most crewed charter boats were still wooden classics that required a ton of maintenance to keep in yacht condition.
Yeah, the more I read/see, the more I think something in the 50' range would be perfect. I really appreciate your insights. Once I finally choose the boat, I get to the business of picking the New Orleans mooring which will determine where I locate other aspects of the story...Thanks so much for your input!
Old 31-10-2015, 15:15   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I am definitely biased but 65ft is easily sailable by 2 people especially if schooner rig like mine (launched in 1982)

That size has the space for separate intrigue.

If the boat gets into tough situations in shallow water, a steel built boat would be more resilient.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1446329689634.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	111989   Click image for larger version

Name:	1446329719270.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	111990  

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 15:46   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBChicoine View Post
Might you know anything about sailing that around New Orleans, as far as draft goes?
No, sorry...I'm not familiar about the New Orleans area. The boat draws about six and a half feet, if that helps any.

Then again, you did say the novel was a work of fiction right? Just make it up!
Old 31-10-2015, 15:51   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBChicoine View Post

(...) The passengers will consist of the skipper, (...)
No comment.

Read first, then write.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:44   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
No comment.

Read first, then write.

b.
Ooooppps...
Old 01-11-2015, 10:45   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I am definitely biased but 65ft is easily sailable by 2 people especially if schooner rig like mine (launched in 1982)

That size has the space for separate intrigue.

If the boat gets into tough situations in shallow water, a steel built boat would be more resilient.
Thanks for your suggestion—she is a lovely boat. I guess I’m mostly concerned with draft at this point, and I’m leaning toward a wooden boat, but I am curious, is the draft more than 6ft?
Old 01-11-2015, 11:27   #22

Need a Sailboat for a Work of Fiction

Just a small point, in the UK at least, 'bareboat' means without a skipper or crew.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
Just a small point, in the UK at least, 'bareboat' means without a skipper or crew.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks--Yeah, apparently I messed up on my terminology. More accurately, what I would be writing about is a skippered charter, or something more along those lines.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:17   #24

Well, I’ve gone cross-eyed trying to pick a boat. As much as I love the interior of the Formosa, my wooden-boat perfectionist has gotten the better of me. It seems to me that the Formosa is too distinct to be anything other than fiberglass. I’ve always had a soft spot for Philip Rhodes designs, and I found a couple of good candidates. I’m sure there are many other Rhodes designs that would work as well, like the Pavana that I used in my book, Uncharted, but she’s a wee bit too small. Nevertheless, I have found some boats with nice visual references for both exterior and interior, which is really helpful.

So, I’ve narrowed it down to two boats: a 60ft yawl (these two links are the same boat) 1952 Philip Rhodes Bermudan Yawl sailboat for sale in Outside United States Philip Rhodes Yawl 60 - Vining Marine Picton & Nelson. The draw on this is 7ft, but I have it on good authority from a sailor in New Orleans that anything under 8ft won’t pose a problem as long as one keeps an eye on the charts.

And yeah, I know the description says the construction is steel, but same model could surely have been built from wood…not that it matters a whole lot, but I just can’t seem to shake the feeling that the boat is as much a character as its passengers, and wood makes it more visceral somehow.

Here’s the second, a 47ft yawl: Philip Rhodes 47 ft Yawl 1947 Philip Rhodes Kretzer Boat Works, City Island, New York. Yachts sold by classic yacht broker.. It’s maybe a little smaller than I originally wanted, but I think it would definitely work. I’m a little unclear on the accommodations, though. Would the separate “paid hand” cabin in the forepeak be accessible through the forward hatch pictured here?

Since the “guest” passenger is a proficient enough sailor, and my main character, the cook, has some sailing experience (kind of like me [but way younger]—eager and familiar with sailing concepts but not so much with finer terminologies), that would give me a total of three including the skipper. Even if I add another character, say a couple “hires” the boat rather than and individual, that give me, at most, four people aboard, so the 47ft should work fine.

Am I overlooking anything?
Old 03-11-2015, 11:26   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A non-helpful comment: I wish that more authors would do this sort of research, even when writing fiction. For me, glaring technical errors in the story line are so disruptive that I tend to loose interest in the plot and/or cease identifying with the characters.

So, kudos to the OP for his efforts1

Jim
Old 03-11-2015, 11:32   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A non-helpful comment: I wish that more authors would do this sort of research, even when writing fiction. For me, glaring technical errors in the story line are so disruptive that I tend to loose interest in the plot and/or cease identifying with the characters.

So, kudos to the OP for his efforts1

Jim
That is actually very helpful--sometimes I think I obsess too much over the details, and I know that so little of it will end up in the narrative, but the last thing I want is to annoy my reader with carelessness. So, thanks for your words of encouragement!
Old 03-11-2015, 11:48   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Paid hands would have a berth, if lucky, with a door. Not likely to use the fwd hatch in your pic, as the extreme fwd part of the boat would either have the forepeak bunk in it, or be a rope cum sail locker. Boat would have 2 heads, owner and others'--just imagine if one of them gets blocked!.

Ann
Old 03-11-2015, 12:41   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Paid hands would have a berth, if lucky, with a door. Not likely to use the fwd hatch in your pic, as the extreme fwd part of the boat would either have the forepeak bunk in it, or be a rope cum sail locker. Boat would have 2 heads, owner and others'--just imagine if one of them gets blocked!.

Ann
Hi Ann,
Yeah, it does seem that the forward port would make for awfully small accommodations. The description states: "In the forepeak is the “paid hands” cabin, separate from the other accommodation, with pipecot, its own head and accessed through the fore hatch (with light). The foc’sle also houses the chain locker, sheets and lines store." Sounds very cramped. I'm liking the 60ft boat more and more--that is, my fictional characters are.

Thanks for your input, Ann!
Old 03-11-2015, 13:35   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

First you remind me of a travel log from a young lady back in the depression. Her Dad was rich but took a hit in the depression. He decided to sail south to get away from it all for a while. This is the story of her trip.

Sorry can't recall the title, but the boat sounds about right for you. Maybe someone can help out?

Then there is this design. Hershoff Marco Polo. They were all custom designs so you could work with the basic boat and make some mods as needed. It would still be within the realm of reason.

1979 Herreshoff Marco Polo sailboat for sale in

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1956...s#.VjkpL3o8KrU

http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-...chooner/173386
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 14:22   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
First you remind me of a travel log from a young lady back in the depression. Her Dad was rich but took a hit in the depression. He decided to sail south to get away from it all for a while. This is the story of her trip.

Sorry can't recall the title, but the boat sounds about right for you. Maybe someone can help out?

Then there is this design. Hershoff Marco Polo. They were all custom designs so you could work with the basic boat and make some mods as needed. It would still be within the realm of reason.

1979 Herreshoff Marco Polo sailboat for sale in

1956 Herreshoff Marco Polo 56 Schooner Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Used Herreshoff Ketch Marco Polo Schooner for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
The book sounds interesting. Would be nice if someone came up with a title!
And thanks for looking up those links--they were very good for comparison. Alas, I think I am stuck on the 60' Rhodes--just so pretty (which is actually very important to the plot as I will be building a romance of sort between the boat and the main character, and as is in so many cases, it must have a love-at-first-sight appeal). Not that the Herreshoff isn't lovely..., I just think the Rhodes is a perfect match!

Tags
sail, sailboat