Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2012, 21:25   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee 30'
Need Help With Tar Like Glue!!!

Hey, I recently pulled up the teak decks on my 69 cheoy lee and found black tar like glue covering every inch. I have try sanding and scrapping to little effect. is there anything that is sure to work. Could really use the help. thanks

Scottie
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 00:19   #2

Re: Need Help With Tar Like Glue!!!

I have found there are three methods of dealing with the "cutback" which is residual adhesive. Either use liquid solvent (a messy job involving quantities of expensive, harsh chemicals) or encapsulate the whole shebang or scrap away.

A combination of scrapping and solvent yields the best results. Be careful not to gouge into the surface and do be sure to give the solvent the required dwell time to do it's work all the while of containing the mess. Oh, you want good news? That is the good news. Elbow grease in bulk is the solution. And keep your scrapping blades sharp.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 00:40   #3

Boat: warwick 44

Have you tried a heat gun? It should make the glue soft and easy the scrap off, then i would use a solvent to clean up
boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 01:37   #4
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

I found this link when we were trying to remove some interior work. DeBond Corporation I have not tried it but did see it referred to on a few threads here. You might try grinding it off if it has hardened. Also, try posting to the Cheoy Lee owners forum (sorry no link to give you).
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 03:32   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Home Depot has a product,forget the exact name Goo OFF or something like that.It will work.Been there done it.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 03:40   #6

Be careful with a heat gun for obvious reasons such as unintentionally heating the wrong surface around hatches, etc but also because of outgassing. An MSDS (material safety data sheet) would be of aid in determing if there are harmful volitile compounds. The top deck is not a confined space but some environmental conditions could create higher concentrations in areas that are otherwise open to outside air.

To consult the MSDS you first have to positive ident the material.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 04:10   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

you could try one of these baby's,less elbow grease!

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 05:28   #8

Boat: Westsail 32

The material you are trying to remove is probably Thiokol, used as the bedding compound fot the teak overlayment, very tenacious stuff indeed.
You have recieved some good advice here from other memebers. The Fein multimaster tool that was reccommended is an excellent choice for all things marine, I have used it extensively for teak deck work although I have never used the scraper blade. Multimasters are expensive and there are a number of other tool companies knocking them of, (Sears, Rockwell) that are less costly. The heat gun used in combination with the ocilating tool will more than likely remove the old bedding compound. I would try this metodology before getting involved with toxic chemicals. Anyway you slice it this task is going to be a lot of work, good luck.

https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/...after_kit.aspx

Multimaster Fein Power Tools, Fein Vacuums, Fein Blades - Walter Tool Company
Old 23-09-2012, 10:12   #9

Thank you for the helpful advice everyone.

I think I will try the Goo Gone from Home Depot and more scrapping to start again. Also if i am going to lay non-skid on top, do i need every last bit of the glue gone. It is not tacky anymore. I was thinking about 6" grindering most of it off, filling my old teck screw holes with epoxy, then putting a fresh coat of paint or something to cover the decks, then laying some epoxy down, then the nonskid. Does this sound like a good sequence of events for redoing the decks? Also I pull up the top skin on the deck to check the sole and the bottom skin. Sole looked good, the bottom skin is showing aging signs (small cracks, discolorment). while I had the sole out I was going to try to add some support, what would be a good idea?

Thanks everyone, sometime looking at glue for a while seems impossible to get anywhere.

Chow.
Old 23-09-2012, 10:20   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i personally would get the deck smooth,free of any glue,fill any screw holes with epoxy/microfiber mix,fair, then lay a coat of epoxy impergnated biaxial cloth,fair again then use an epoxy primer,then a 2 pack polyeurathane before laying treadmaster or an nonskid compound.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 09:05   #11

Thank you Atoll.

That will be my plan of attack for the decks. I have two last question; How to gain support on the interior skin, and secondly, some screws on the deck removal broken off leaving them in the fiberglass with no heads. Should I drill them out some how or sand around them, then epoxy over them.

Thanks again. This is a great website, glad I joined. Already feeling better about the decks.

Scottie
Old 24-09-2012, 11:13   #12
Marine Service Provider

Scottie you are working on a 30 to 40 yr old boat.Al glue must come off all screws must come out.Goo off work's best when let sit to penetrate for a bit.You mention underneath support are the deck's weak recoring is a whole different process.
Good Luck
Old 25-09-2012, 07:59   #13

OK. I thought that was the case. Just wanted to be sure before surrendering my self to total deck clean. I have had luck with getting the glue off now. It is only leaving a small amount of glue resin and I should be able to sand that down easily.

Thank you for Goo suggestion.

About the bottom skin, I had a soft spot on the bow in front of the cabin, so I cut the top skin off to check the sole. I found damp balsa wood, so I pulled it and found discolored and minor cracks in the bottom skin. Before replacing the sole I wanted to reinforce the bottom skin. But by laying more cloth, it will raise the height of the original deck, which of course is not what i want to do. So I was looking for another way to add strenght to the bottom skin.

Thanks for the advice,

Scottie
Old 25-09-2012, 08:13   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
OK. I thought that was the case. Just wanted to be sure before surrendering my self to total deck clean. I have had luck with getting the glue off now. It is only leaving a small amount of glue resin and I should be able to sand that down easily.

Thank you for Goo suggestion.

About the bottom skin, I had a soft spot on the bow in front of the cabin, so I cut the top skin off to check the sole. I found damp balsa wood, so I pulled it and found discolored and minor cracks in the bottom skin. Before replacing the sole I wanted to reinforce the bottom skin. But by laying more cloth, it will raise the height of the original deck, which of course is not what i want to do. So I was looking for another way to add strenght to the bottom skin.

Thanks for the advice,

Scottie
Scottie you probanly have cracks because the coring failed,clean it up seal the edges where the wet coring was removed thicken epoxy with cabosil set your new balsa down and saturate with epoxy place cut out piece back over new balsa bevel the edges and lay a 2"or so piece of matt to secure the setions fill and fair,DO NOT sand adheisve off will only grind it into the glass make adsion poor for refairing.Good Luck