Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2013, 08:48   #31

Boat: ...none yet
Re: Need input...

Whats your guys opinion on the following...

1970 26' Pearson

Catalina 27
Ardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 08:59   #32

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardi View Post
I figured there would be other costs. Im ok with all of them, as long as I get to sail .
The second hunter def looks better on paper than the first one. IM going to call the guy and check it out, will keep you guys posted.
I'll tell you what I see from the pictures of the last Ranger.

The entry boards and tiller are covered so check the wood. If it's blistered it'll need repair or replacement.

The interior wood is really dark. Check for mold, especially black mold , Look in the compartments real good. The cushions look good so maybe I'm off.

And spread out the sails to make sure there are no holes/bad stitching. A sail replacement would be the most expensive thing on the boat, other then an outboard or rigging.
Old 23-02-2013, 09:02   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I'll tell you what I see from the pictures of the last Ranger.

The entry boards and tiller are covered so check the wood. If it's blistered it'll need repair or replacement.

The interior wood is really dark. Check for mold, especially black mold , Look in the compartments real good. The cushions look good so maybe I'm off.

And spread out the sails to make sure there are no holes/bad stitching. A sail replacement would be the most expensive thing on the boat, other then an outboard or rigging.
ranger?
Old 23-02-2013, 09:12   #34

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardi View Post
Whats your guys opinion on the following...

1970 26' Pearson

Catalina 27
The Catalina needs a new motor. Expensive repair, plus the boat looks abandoned. Sails are not good.

The Pearson, there doesn't seem to be a motor and the bottom paint has been removed, or something going on there.

So far the last Ranger looks best for the money. IMHO
Old 23-02-2013, 09:19   #35

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Google Hunter Owners. I learned a lot from those forums when I was looking at a Hunter. They talk about problems how to identify them as well as how to fix them.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 09:27   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
No need for a marine survey on a cheap boat. IMO its a waste of money on a 2500 dollar boat.
For a beginner buying anything larger than about 22', especially with a fixed keel and an inboard, I would still recommend a proper survey as a condition of sale. This is because the beginner may not recognize real dealbreakers like failing chainplates, money-pit inboard engine, keel attachment issues, serious wet core or osmosis, etc.

Of course, bringing a knowledgeable friend can substitute for a surveyor... but you still probably need a survey for insurance purposes, so might as well have that done up-front. A good survey will provide some confidence that you haven't bought a deathtrap or a money-pit, and it gives you a list of the things to work on first. And it's helpful to have a recent survey when it comes time to sell the boat.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 10:03   #37

Boat: Newport 28 II
Take a asa basic keel boat class,that will get you on the water sailing fast and cheap. Then go from there.
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 12:50   #38

comments on this one...

26 ft Laguna Sailboat
Old 23-02-2013, 13:24   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Need input...

The first one is definitely storm damaged.. I'd check the bow section Internally for cracking where its been pounding up and down on something.. also port side stern has a nasty looking crack running along the hull/deck section it seems..
Give it a miss.. its a project and it can't be sailed as it is..
The '85 Hunter looked much better cosmetically... time to stop dreaming and start pounding the pontoons... touchy-feelie-smellie spendie time...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote